Blood Sugar Issues

I'm on day 2 of Whole30, and I'm already having nausea issues. Some background: I'm 28, female, 5'6 and 154 lbs, coming from a diet where I ate a lot more carbs (pasta/bread/rice) and sugar than I should have been. I also have blood sugar issues - I have the same symptoms as hypoglycemia, which runs in my family, but in 2011-2012 I did regular blood sugar checks and never noticed a real pattern. The endocrinologist was super unhelpful and just wanted to treat my symptoms rather than the underlying cause, which lead me to managing it on my own via protein and carbs (though as I mentioned before, not the best carbs). Plain sugar (like fruitsnacks) doesn't help me reset, just makes me feel slightly better for a short period. 

That being said, I realize Whole30 is a whole system reset and is going to be rough for me, but I want to manage my symptoms in the best way possible. I was thinking eating more 'good' carbs like sweet potatoes might be helpful. Breakfast is awful - I managed some hash browns today, but attempting eggs yesterday was terrible.  I'm not sure if I can stomach any meat yet (I used to eat toast or cereal for breakfast). If anyone has any suggestions, I would super appreciate them!

I worked with someone who had clinical hypoglycemia. They weren't managing it with bread, pasta or rice.  You don't say if you normally eat meat but you can't stomach it yet. For some reason, everyone thinks they have to eat eggs for breakfast.  They don't ever have to eat eggs for breakfast or any other time.  But there has to be protein.  Managing blood sugar without protein won't last for long. What proteins do you normally eat?  Ooo, find another doctor you can work with if possible.

I do eat meat! I like pretty much any meat. I eat it at lunch and dinner, but just the thought of it in the morning makes me feel sick. Before starting Whole30, I didn't have blood sugar issues between breakfast and lunch but now I'm struggling with nausea so I would like to do something to manage that. 

• Moderators

You really need the combo of protein, fat, and vegetables for your meal to keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours.

Maybe look for recipes where your protein and vegetables are mixed together. Something like this: http://meljoulwan.com/2011/05/08/paleo-pad-thai/ or this: http://meljoulwan.com/2012/03/08/tropical-chopped-salad/

Or plate up a full meal, eat as much as you can, then set it aside and come back to it as soon as you feel like you could eat a little more. Over time, you should be able to eat more initially and leave less to come back to later.

Thanks for the recipes! My issue is not so much about feeling full as it is making sure I'm getting the right amount of foods to keep my blood sugar level. (I have found that meals that work for lots of people don't always work for me.) That, and hopefully doing away with the nausea haha. 

The struggling with nausea between breakfast and lunch. Your system was used to those carbs. So bake up some sweet and white potatoes. Make some roasted vege the night before. Throw them on top of the potato and add some chicken or turkey breast, a compliant sauce for flavor and see if your stomach doesn't settle down.

When babies have nausea, we give them some potato water (water potatoes were boiled in), baked potatoes without the skins or mashed potatoes. Ease into it with some white potatoes as a replacement for cereal and toast with your protein/fat.

Do you remember one potato, two potato joints? Start with a baked potato and throw everything but the kitchen sink on there.  Proteins, finely chopped cooked broccoli, sun dried tomatoes and fresh ones, finely cooked cauliflower, french cut green beans, asparagus, grilled/fresh onions, "clarified" butter, compliant mayo or you can make some homemade mayo. Herbs, spices like paprika, black pepper and a sprinkle of good salt. Try it.

Archived