If I see another egg, I'm going to puke

First off: I posted a week or so ago about this topic and no one answered. PLEASE HELP!

I'm on day 24 and I'm thisclose to throwing in the towel. My diet hasn't changed throughout the entire thing--eggs, avocados and veggies for breakfast, chicken, chicken sausage, pulled pork, meatballs and lots of veggies for lunch and dinner, fruit and small handful of nuts for snacks--all compliant with the food template. Drinking lots of water and tea. And I am feeling SO sick. This morning came to a head when I made my boiled eggs and avocado breakfast and almost vomited it up. My stomach is constantly churning, my body aches, my head is killing me and I'm exhausted by the end of the day. It feels like my entire digestive system is revolting against me, and I don't know what to do... please, someone help... I can't do this.

• Moderators

What kinds of vegetables are you eating? Some people have trouble with FODMAPS vegetables or with nightshades, and even though they're eating lots of vegetables, it turns out that their body can't handle that volume of those particular vegetables.

I would definitely leave out nuts for a while -- even if they're not the main cause of this, they are hard on the digestive system.

If you're doing hard boiled eggs, they can be harder to digest than other ways of cooking eggs, so you could switch to scrambled or soft boiled or fried. Also note that some people don't do well with eggs, and even if they have eaten eggs in the past, find that they're eating more of them on Whole30 and it's enough to put them over the threshold of how much egg their body can handle.

Thanks Shannon. That's good guidance on the nuts. And these past 2 weeks I've cut out high FODMAP veggies because I know they can cause bloating and such. The eggs are such a bummer, because they're an easy breakfast. I'll try cooking them differently and see if that works. 

Another thing I've read on these blogs and other forums is that people with anxiety and depression sometimes don't do well on low-carb diets because of the decrease of serotonin. I'm not in a good mental place right now, and I feel like that's heavily contributing to my overall outlook on the Whole30. Unfortunately, I think this program might not be the right fit for me... but I'm going to finish it!

• Moderators

Whole30 is lower carb than a diet that includes lots of grains and sugars, but it doesn't have to be particularly low carb. You can have potatoes, carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, plantains and still be low FODMAP. Have a serving at every meal (along with other vegetables) if you need to.

Archived