Starting March 20th. Join and let's do this together!

Laurie_

Day 5 no headache upon waking which is great but I'm not motivated to do too much work. I actually turned down a homemade monster cookie last night (one of my favorites when this person makes them). I think she was more surprised than me :) which led to a discussion of the Whole30 and why I'm doing it. It helps that she is very much aware of the migraines over the past year+ and the breast cancer restrictions. I'm kind of hoping to skip the Kill all the Things stage since it hasn't been an issue yet and I don't want to be cranky when I get to see the grandbabies over the weekend. Hockey game on Sunday could be interesting if I'm truly in the just want to take a nap phase. I hope my teammates have extra energy. The team normally heads to the bar after the game but I think it might be too early in the process for me - maybe in a couple of weeks. Happy Friday everyone :)

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folks - these first few days were tough. I found out from a doc last week that I needed to take antibiotics - which really stinks cause my gut bacteria will be off from the jump. I was so focussed on eating compliant (I did not prepare as much as I should have) and have found myself being nauseous and having little appetite for anything. I had to force feed myself eggs, sauteed mushrooms and broccoli...still didn't finish my plate at all. I had a good cup of bone broth and then shared an apple and some almond butter (more appetizing to me) with my fiancee.

The nausea on day 2 was scary to me - but I think I figured out that I needed to salt my food more and I bought coconut water to replenish my electrolytes after my workouts....that has started to help me feel better.

It has been a rough couple of days - no headaches in this first 5 days of any type...but the nausea and the lac of appetite was really concerning, especially last night.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated...PS. I did have the whole30 chipotle and it was probably the happiest I've been all week, lol. #ilovechipotle lol

5.gif

Hello!  Well, I started Whole30 on the 20th as well.  I'm just getting around to hopping onto the forum :-D

Well wishes everyone!!!  It hasn't been as rough as I thought it would be (until I wake up with really low blood sugar or I wake up in the middle of the morning totally starving) LOL.

18 minutes ago, Laurie_ said:

@Reba0313 can I ask what you ate at Chipolte? One of my favorite quick meals, but I keep wanting to go but without rice and beans I'll basically be getting a bowl of guac and lettuce,lol

Hi Laurie! You can definitely get the lettuce, but also any of the salsas (minus the corn) is a bonus add for you. You are correct that you can't even have the roasted veggies because they cook them in sunflower oil or another oil we can't have. The dressing is off limits for us as well - I'm sure because they add sugar in there.

For my meat eaters - the carnitas are divine and so I ate Carnitas salad with guac, medium salsa...and that was really all I needed. #heaven

Hope that helped @Laurie_!

@rachelmaria33 Thanks for the advice!  To be honest, I haven't done much research (um, skipped that part of the book, for now) on the reintroduction phase.  Since planning in general is not my forte, I was definitely more concerned with the "here and now" part of this process as opposed to the nitty gritty details of "what comes next."  I do look at this as a lifestyle change and not just a diet- in fact I get annoyed when my husband calls it a diet.  The wine on day 31 was kind of a joke, but I do remember reading in the book that having a glass of wine at the end was ok- so that is also in the back of my mind.  I'm definitely hoping to find what food(s) I might have been eating before that were bringing me down, so I will make sure that we use those reintroduction days correctly and not just lose the traction we've gained for the 30 days prior.

On a side note, I'm writing this in such a way that achieving the 30 days is a forgone conclusion.  There's probably a psych term for this, but it helps me to think of it as failure not being an option.

6 hours ago, Chris_ said:

You aren't alone! This is one of the biggest reasons I'm doing this program as well. I'm am big in to the craft beer scene (in fact, I spent some time in Denver last year for that exact reason), so I have a beer a night, more on weekends. It was just becoming to much. I wasn't even enjoying it anymore, so much that it was just routine. Seriously unhealthy habit. So, I made the decision to cut it out for 30 days, and then I happened upon this diet plan and just bundled it in! But, I'm 6 days removed from the last beer and one sounds delicious right now. But, we can make it through!

Regarding the "re-intro" above, I won't be able to do in that regard. I have a craft beer festival I bought VIP tickets for on April 23rd. I will be participating in that, so it'll be an interesting experience to see how my body reacts. It also gives me a hard stop on my Whole30 (which is nice, because it means I can't cheat because I can't start over!). 

Anyways, good luck! Feel free to share your struggles, I expect I'll be going through them too. 

Phew, glad to hear that is a concern for you, too.  Especially as we head into our first weekend.  My husband is actually a craft brewer, it's a hobby for now but like many he'd like it to be more!  Alcohol is very prevalent in our lives, so I fear we'll have to decline some social things for a bit, until we can feel confident and happy about turning down the drinks.  It's going to be a hard habit to break, I know what you mean about having a drink just to have one.  Hoping to find some other "hobbies" over the next 30 days to take my mind off the wine I'm not drinking! 

1 hour ago, jessdoit said:

@kirbz Have you noticed a change in energy levels at all yet?  I was pretty tired on Day 3.  Yesterday was better, and today better still.  Could be because I had an extra cup of coffee this morning :)

@jessdoit Honestly, I haven't really noticed a change in much of anything. I haven't experience any "symptoms" with the exception of a complete lack of appetite and I haven't noticed any benefits yet.

However, I will add a very large disclaimer by saying I haven't been able to abide very well by the program rules the last couple of days. Yesterday I didn't have an opportunity to eat more than a handful of roasted butternut squash for lunch and this morning I didn't manage to have breakfast until 12:30 PM.  Partly poor meal planning and partly just some kinda terrible things happening in my life right now. I almost went out and bought a tub of Rocky Road ice cream last night but I'm committed to finishing this. So, so far I'm not doing anything "bad" that strictly breaks the rules but I certainly haven't been doing things very "right" either. 

I'm glad to hear you're feeling more energy! 

So tired today. It's my own fault. I got arrogant yesterday and did not go to bed until 12.30am! It's Saturday so I got to sleep in until 8am but that is not enough for me. I am very hungry, tired and grumpy. I have a full day of study in front of me now and nothing to get me through like sweets that I usually munch on. I am eating a massive lunch now (Sheppard's pie, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, roasted potato, homemade  mayo topped with a fried egg). I hope this gets me through to dinner but if I get that hangry phase today I don't fancy my chances of being compliant. I am not in the right frame of mind because I did not go to bed early enough. It's just so true that if you don't get enough sleep it really does mess with your hormones and blood sugars.

On a side note the sweet potato and lamb in this lunch are soooo sweet! Taste buds are coming alive and obviously clinging onto all naturally occurring sugars they can find lol.

xxx Maggie  

*Whooosshh* What was that?? Oh just me doing a complete 180 in the last 6 hours since my last post lol. My day did not turn out as I had expected. Looks like my massive lunch did my blood sugars a favour and I came out of the slump I was in thankfully! However I will still be tucking myself in early tonight. I did not get enough study done but my procrastination is not going to be solved by whole 30 unfortunately. Isn't food a powerful thing? I remained absolutely full from 12 pm to 7.30pm where my husband made me dinner (If it was up to me I would have not bothered). Amazing seafood on zucchini zoodels. (Sp?). They tasted amazing and again quite sweet. Hope you guys have a great day!

21 hours ago, Hockey4Life said:

Thanks for the Tessamae recommendation! I love the ranch dressing and the ketchup is pretty good even if it's not my sugar loaded Heinz. I have chicken marinating in the balsamic dressing for dinner. I can't wait to try the mayo.

Where did you find the Tessamae? Theredirect are some compliant dressings by Primal (don't quote me on the brand?) That's on Thrive Market. Have you ever tried those?  I'm always weary of buying food items online...

11 hours ago, Laurie_ said:

Where did you find the Tessamae? Theredirect are some compliant dressings by Primal (don't quote me on the brand?) That's on Thrive Market. Have you ever tried those?  I'm always weary of buying food items online...

I bought them from the Tessamae website. 

22 hours ago, Laurie_ said:

You might be able to find it in your local grocery store. But, you need to check the refrigerated dressings. Typically by the organic lettuce. 

I hope everyone is doing well as we head into the second week! The last few days for me were interesting. I was really struggling with all of the food prep, to the point where the cooking and cleaning was taking up all of my free time. So for lunch on Saturday, I gave myself a break and ate at Chipotle. I'm used to loading up a burrito with rice and beans and cheese, but I was happily surprised that my salad was super delicious, filling, and I didn't have to cook it myself. 

This week, to try to cut down on all of the cooking, I'm testing out batch cooking. I spent my afternoon yesterday cooking up a bunch of meat and veggies, so hopefully I'll have enough to throw together some meals this week with less prep time. I also got the cookbook Well Fed for some inspiration.

@Laurie_ I second Chris. I found some Tessemae dressing in the refrigerated section with the produce, next to the bagged lettuce, in two different grocery stores near me. The selection was limited compared to the website, but it was faster than waiting for shipping, and I like buying my food in person. I have the lemon garlic, and it was delicious drizzled on some broccoli.

7 minutes ago, Hockey4Life said:

For some reason I had a horrible time falling asleep last night - is anyone else struggling with sleep? On a positive note though, my pants were not tight which I freaked out about a few days ago when it should have been Kill All The Things on the timeline :)

I'm sorry you are having trouble sleeping! Sleep has been the best part of the process for me. As someone who typically had a nightly beer (or two, maybe 3), I never slept all that well. 6-7 hours per night. But, I've been getting a full 9-10 hours recently. 

Have you tried Magnesium? It completely wipes me out when I take it before bed. 

4 hours ago, Chris_ said:

I'm sorry you are having trouble sleeping! Sleep has been the best part of the process for me. As someone who typically had a nightly beer (or two, maybe 3), I never slept all that well. 6-7 hours per night. But, I've been getting a full 9-10 hours recently. 

Have you tried Magnesium? It completely wipes me out when I take it before bed. 

I did run out of my supplement that has magnesium in it.....maybe that is the issue.

Day 9 Yay! I did survive Jazzercise last night even with the lunch issues yesterday. I did not lift weights though because it felt like too much and I was getting a little light-headed by that point. I did remember my lunch today so I don't have to navigate the local grocery store that has surprisingly limited options. Day 10 & 11 are listed as the hardest days on the timeline - hopefully we'll all just keep rocking along to that Tiger Blood next week and breeze through this week.

Slept like a baby last night. A very deep and restful sleep. However I was still tired today. I was very tried yesterday and I'm starting to notice a connection with my energy levels and how much I'm eating. I beginning to realise I need to eat a heck of a lot more than I ever used to. The days I haven't had a proper breakfast  i.e. a scrambled egg and some tomato I get tired really quickly. Then if I eat a really good lunch my energy levels get better. I have always thought I had an issue with blood sugars (blood tests for this were "normal"!) but I never thought they could be tied up with my fatigue (yeah I know it's obvious now but it wasn't to me!). I think I never made the connection because I always ate all my meals and I thought I ate enough, well enough to satisfy me but not enough to put on weight.  I'm only 5'3 so I can't eat as much as id like.

So that's definitely a good NSV to finally be able to have a against my fatigue. I'm just a bit worried about eating more, especially all these fats!  I don't want to put on weight either but i'll see how it goes.

Another NSV is my skin! It's so soft and spot free. Even though I'm 40 I still get acne! But it's quite clear the last few days.

Also getting better at winging it in the kitchen and eating leftovers.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Day 10 and I just realized this morning that I can touch my left eyebrow area with out pain. I've had a chronic migraine for 13 months that resulted in extreme pain around my left eye and even touching the eyebrow area sent shooting pain into the left sinus area on my face. It was a very strange feeling. I'm very excited about this NSV :)

Checking in on Day 9 (For me).  Things are going well.  I feel good and have noticed some changes in my body.  I am still struggling with food intolerance, but have taken steps to eliminate the products that aggravate me- olive oil being the hardest.  It is interesting that the symptoms I associated with milk allergy may actually be caused by olive oil and not dairy! 

Starting this evening, I have social commitments for the next 4 nights!  I am planning on eating before I go, but staying away from the bar will be a challenge.  I am armed with the tips I read in the Whole30 email, so hopefully I will be ok.  

I hope you all are having a great day!  Keep up the good work!

Archived