Starting March 20th. Join and let's do this together!

Laurie_

Day 17, and a possible NSV? I tend to get migraines about once a week, usually at the beginning of the week. I didn't get one last week, but that was normal, sometimes I just don't get one, so I didn't think too much of it. But I haven't had one this week either. Hopefully I don't jinx it! I honestly didn't think my migraines were food related, because they were fairly regular, and it didn't seem to matter what I ate. But the fact that I haven't had one in two weeks makes me even more curious to finish up this program and do the reintroduction.

On another note, I just now realized that the thirty days is going to include Easter. I'm going to miss fully enjoying the big Easter breakfast this year, and I was planning on making quick bread to take to share. I still might bake it, but I think it's going to be difficult to stick to the program when I'm so close to the end and there's so much of my favorite breakfast foods and breads. Oh well, if this really does help my migraines, I'm convinced it's all worth it.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, queenE said:

I am feeling a little discouraged too.  Over the weekend, I had what I would consider tiger blood!  I cleaned and organized everything I could get my hands on.  I had a great time at the parties I attended -even without drinks and party food. Then yesterday I felt horrible- I was tired, foggy headed and had a headache.  (I am suspicious that I had sugar in a meal I had, but cannot find the source. ) 

Is it normal to loose the tiger blood after it comes?  I am also looking carefully at what I am eating as I frequently feel like my hands and feet are swollen or puffy.  I have never thought I had a problem with nightshades, but now I am starting to wonder.  

I really have enjoyed the science side of this program and figuring out what is good for me and what is not.  The human body is an amazing machine!

My "tiger blood" comes and goes. But, I've had a headache these last couple of days. My guess is that it is due to a possible lack of carbs. Your brain can either run on carbs or ketones. My guess is that the body switching from one to the other is having some effects there. 

Completely baseless speculation. But, I'm going to give it another day. 

I hope you have a great day! :-)

@queenE, I have been feeling very tired for about 5 days and put it as a concern on the troubleshooting forum here. I was told several things, but mostly to get enough fat in my meals and make sure I'm eating enough. Just a thought.

Doing great! Down to 11 days for me! Haven't felt tiger blood yet. :-( But I think after I eat better today I will be there. I haven't been eating enough, getting enough fat, so I will be working on that today.

I have been loving trying out the recipes in the Whole30 book and cookbook! I made butternut squash soup (pg 266) and loved it! I also made the butternut squash chili (pg 67 in cookbook)- YUM! Last night I put some ribs (pg 256) in to marinate in the fridge for dinner tonight and will be making greek salad (pg 278) as a side. Can't wait to try it out!

5 hours ago, queenE said:

I am feeling a little discouraged too.  Over the weekend, I had what I would consider tiger blood!  I cleaned and organized everything I could get my hands on.  I had a great time at the parties I attended -even without drinks and party food. Then yesterday I felt horrible- I was tired, foggy headed and had a headache.  (I am suspicious that I had sugar in a meal I had, but cannot find the source. ) 

Is it normal to loose the tiger blood after it comes?  I am also looking carefully at what I am eating as I frequently feel like my hands and feet are swollen or puffy.  I have never thought I had a problem with nightshades, but now I am starting to wonder.  

I really have enjoyed the science side of this program and figuring out what is good for me and what is not.  The human body is an amazing machine!

I think this is probably normal but I seem to remember that you have a ton of allergies beyond food. Is it possible that you came into contact with another allergen? I have found that when I don't eat enough carbs I feel crappy. I had to tweak my pre-WO and post-WO mini meals to include a few bites of a starchy vegetable (generally sweet potato).

It is raining in Michigan today and we're getting snow on Thursday then back to sunny and 70 on Sunday. These types of weather fluctuations used to guarantee a massive sinus headache for me along with nasty drainage and usually an antibiotic for a sinus infection. This will be the first big "test" if my new diet will affect the headaches triggered by significant weather changes. I have not had the chronic migraine since day 10 and only 1 sinus headache since then. This is a huge NSV for me :) I have a doctor's appointment with the neurologist for a follow up on Monday which are the days listed as "The scale (and mirror) are calling...." They usually insist on stepping on the scale related to med dosing so I'm not sure if I can outright refuse to be weighed. If I lost weight, I'll be happy but if not it's sure to put me in a fowl mood even though the headache being gone is amazing. I'm not sure that I will ever have a healthy relationship with the scale after years of weighing myself twice a day (obsessive control freak trying not to gain weight in my teens and early 20's).

8 hours ago, queenE said:

@Valyssa How are you doing on your W30 journey?  Haven't heard much from you since the beginning so I just wanted to check in and see how it's going :)

@queenE I'm not sure I've experienced the "tiger blood" yet, but I do know that if I don't eat enough I don't feel well. I carry the RXBARS with me just in case. They're compliant(most), good source of fiber, fat and protein. My energy levels have been pretty good, though I've had a couple days I've felt more drained then others and I think that has partially to do with food boredom. Once I get up and out, get to the gym, run some errands, I get over it. 

Good luck! :)

I did develop a bit of a headache over the weekend with the weather changes and a funeral with lilies in the flower arrangements but nothing compared to the normal misery so that's a great NSV for me. My neurologist had not heard about Whole30 so he was very interested that I was headache free by day 10. The conclusion was that it is working and even though it can't control the migraines entirely from weather fluctuations to keep at it. He did warn that food triggers can be difficult to identify and it may be more complex than one particular food or food group.

How is everyone doing?  I had a real difficult time this weekend. My day 21 and around there. I was seriously craving and wanting sweets! :-( So frustrated with not being able to have any. I am also feeling bloated just about every morning and not sure why or if this is normal. My tummy really shows the bloating as well. Not sure if I'm just having delayed reactions with the Whole30. I'm doing better now.

Still been having fun with making recipes! Made the simple roasted chicken thighs, except I grilled them, and they were DELICIOUS! Had them with sauteed beets sprinkled with orange juice and zest. Yum. Along with a salad made with a homemade asian dressing. Great dinner. Will be using that recipe again.

I can't believe this is the home stretch! Considering continuing to a Whole40, because of my delayed results. I will see how this week goes and how I'm feeling. 

@Nedster7 I'm also on day 21 and though I've noticed some changes, I've noticed some bloating as well. Doesn't make one feel very well. Tiger blood hasn't come into action either...really questioning whether it will or not. I've basically been using the same recipes through out. I've bought some new dried fruit, whether freeze dried or dehydrated. That's offered up a bit of change and chew.

Thinking I will definitely be adding onto the Whole 30 and stretching it out a bit. I've read of people adding in one thing, like diring the introduction, but keeping to the Whole 30 days after their day of eating (insert desired food) just to stay on track. Think I'll need to do that or I can see myself going back into my old eating habits. 

Yup I have bloating too. I had to start a course of anti-biotics on sat for a sinus infection so I though it was that. interesting to see others are having bloating. I've been ill so although I have been compliant I'm not eating a lot or enough. I'm just about hanging in there to be honest, this sinus infection makes me feel so horrible it's hard to feel any benefit from this whole30 eating. My lower back is aching too (I get that a lot but had none up until today). Perhaps that's part of the journey? I can't be bothered accessing the timeline now.

Easter weekend coming up, there is so much chocolate and hot cross buns around right now. I'm I a weird limbo where I am craving baked goods but do not want to go back to my normal eating because I know it will make me feel like crap again but I don't want to eat whole30 anymore. Strange times these are!

I started on March 20th! I haven't gotten the hang of the forum until now - but on Day 21 (yesterday) I was also experiencing some bloating and feeling a bit discouraged. I tried to avoid starchy vegetables (potatoes) last night and feel a little better today!

I see the light at the end of the tunnel and I know I can make it to the end, but I'm very anxious about Easter. Anyone have any tricks planned to avoid all of the festive food? 

@BridyKate I'm cooking the big Easter meal so I plan to have my kids favorite foods and treats for the grandbabies but I will cook some separate items that I can eat. I plan to focus on enjoying those I'm with for the day rather than on what I can't eat. I love chocolate but since I had to give up soy a couple years ago, I'm generally good about not eating chocolate now (although sometimes I'd like an entire bag of peanut M&M's lol). I know we can all get through Easter - just plan ahead to have compliant food available so that you don't cave to cravings or yummy looking food. If I were going to someone elses house, I would probably throw an RxBar in my purse for emergencies :) or offer to bring something that I knew was compliant.

Day 24 and I did not really feel like eating this morning. I did eat and pack my lunch before heading to a dr's appointment. My orthopedic doc actually commented that I'd lost weight since my last visit (and they did not make me get on the scale) :) Then a co-worker asked if I had lost weight as well. Finally....it's noticeable!

7 hours ago, Hockey4Life said:

My orthopedic doc actually commented that I'd lost weight since my last visit (and they did not make me get on the scale) :) Then a co-worker asked if I had lost weight as well. Finally....it's noticeable!

That is awesome!! :-D I feel thin, but don't think I look it much.

I made the Cherry chicken from the cookbook on page 128, however I just crock-potted it and doubled the sauce so I could put it on top. Pretty good, but a little too spicy for my kids. I'm enjoying the flavors. More for me! :-)

@Laurie_ & @maggiemay, about the bloating, I totally took a pregnancy test just in case, it was negative. PHEW! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I feel like it comes and goes, and thought maybe it was too many potatoes or fruit. But I can't bring myself to take those out just because I'm feeling bloated. :-/ 

Welcome @BridyKate! Not sure what I'm doing for Easter yet either. I won't be buying any sweets for my kids baskets this year, except maybe 1 chocolate per kid. We don't really have any special Easter food traditions except for "resurrection rolls" which aren't present at dinner time, so no worries there. I guess we can just keep saying to ourselves, "only 2 more days, only 2 more days! I can do this!" Even though that's not necessarily true for some, because we won't be eating Easter candy on day 31... but we can tell ourselves that. ;-)

1 more week! This has seriously been the longest week ever! Maybe because I started counting it as the last week, 3 days ago, lol. 

BTW, if you haven't tried it yet, the clarified butter is super easy to make and I highly recommend using it! Great stuff. Also I watched Forks Over Knives on Netflix. It's about the China study and how diseases are reversed when you eliminate all animal proteins, including milk, butter and eggs. I don't think I could ever live that way. Curious what your thoughts are on that?

I am looking for advice.  I am on day 25 (feeling pretty proud of the way I have stuck to the plan!), but I feel worse than when I started.  I have trimmed down a little, my belly is still poochie (which is a new problem for me), my tummy is very upset most every morning, my legs cramp, my face is breaking out, and the itchy rash I have on my back is worse than ever.  I even have some joint pain that I have not had before. My biggest problem is how grumpy I am- my poor husband is really feeling the brunt of this!

I have  avoided spinach, sweet potatoes, and limit my egg yolk intake, all of which seem to trigger problems yet still I am running to the potty this morning (right after I chew my hubby out for breathing- haha- not really exactly like that...)

Anyone have any idea what to do?  I am trying to decide if this is helping me at all.

One more thing, I am on a Bioidentical hormone regimen with a custom compounded estrogen/progesterone.  Could this be preventing me from seeing full benefits from Whole30?

I really appreciate any suggestions or places to look for further information.  

• Moderators
7 hours ago, queenE said:

I am looking for advice.  I am on day 25 (feeling pretty proud of the way I have stuck to the plan!), but I feel worse than when I started.  I have trimmed down a little, my belly is still poochie (which is a new problem for me), my tummy is very upset most every morning, my legs cramp, my face is breaking out, and the itchy rash I have on my back is worse than ever.  I even have some joint pain that I have not had before. My biggest problem is how grumpy I am- my poor husband is really feeling the brunt of this!

I have  avoided spinach, sweet potatoes, and limit my egg yolk intake, all of which seem to trigger problems yet still I am running to the potty this morning (right after I chew my hubby out for breathing- haha- not really exactly like that...)

Anyone have any idea what to do?  I am trying to decide if this is helping me at all.

One more thing, I am on a Bioidentical hormone regimen with a custom compounded estrogen/progesterone.  Could this be preventing me from seeing full benefits from Whole30?

I really appreciate any suggestions or places to look for further information.  

We can't really give you advice without knowing what you're eating.  Please post a few days of your meals including portion sizes, specific veggies, protein, fat and fruits, water intake etc... 

We can't give advice on your hormone therapy as we are not medical professionals but if you feel that it is causing you problems, you should go see your doctor.

@Hockey4Life, I do plan on doing the reintroduction. First day is BEANS! Woohoo. I don't drink wine, so skipping that day. Beyond day 1, I haven't looked further. So I will get on that this weekend. I am SOOO done! Haha! 

So sorry, @queenE! That is super rough! It does sound like portion sizes and need to be looked at. I hope @SugarcubeOD can help you out! 

I am headed out for a weekend business event and am worried about being tempted and giving in for convenience' sake. I am planning my food as much as I can, but I have little time before I must go. I think this week has been my hardest by far. My self control is waning, I long for sweets! :-( But I haven't budged! I need to get back to reading from the book for encouragment and my WHY.

Can't believe there's only FOUR days left! Have a great weekend everyone! 

@SugarcubeOD thank you for suggesting I share my food intake.

I try very hard to stick to the template.  Yesterday looked like this:

Breakfast: scrambled egg, 1 whole egg and 1 egg white, 2 slices of bacon and sautéed kale with mushrooms. Small cup of mixed fruit. Coffee- black.

Lunch: left over carnita (Whole 30 recipe) meat on mixed greens with tomatoes, kabocha squash, carrots and a mayo, vinegar, pepper dressing.  Most days  eat leftover meat and veggies on leafy greens, it is a huge lunch that I have trouble finishing.

Dinner: Chicken breast with a creamy mushroom sauce, and zucchini noodles and hot tea. 

I drink at least 70 oz of water a day, and get about 8 hours of sleep at night.  I no longer crave sugary things, nor am I tempted by snacking.  I exercise 3 times a week, and am a generally active person.  

I am not trying to get advice on the dosage of hormones, just wondered if anyone else had experiences similar to mine and felt like bioidentical hormones affected the results of the whole 30 plan.

Thank you.

@queenE I don't see fat listed in your menu but maybe you're cooking with it?  I actually take an  anti-hormone because of breast cancer. I feel like it has affected the progress of W30 but i think it's just going to take me longer. Your symptoms seem a bit extreme so a trip to your doctor may be the appropriate recommendation.

• Moderators
On April 14, 2017 at 7:27 PM, queenE said:

@SugarcubeOD thank you for suggesting I share my food intake.

I try very hard to stick to the template.  Yesterday looked like this:

Breakfast: scrambled egg, 1 whole egg and 1 egg white, 2 slices of bacon and sautéed kale with mushrooms. Small cup of mixed fruit. Coffee- black.

Lunch: left over carnita (Whole 30 recipe) meat on mixed greens with tomatoes, kabocha squash, carrots and a mayo, vinegar, pepper dressing.  Most days  eat leftover meat and veggies on leafy greens, it is a huge lunch that I have trouble finishing.

Dinner: Chicken breast with a creamy mushroom sauce, and zucchini noodles and hot tea. 

I drink at least 70 oz of water a day, and get about 8 hours of sleep at night.  I no longer crave sugary things, nor am I tempted by snacking.  I exercise 3 times a week, and am a generally active person.  

I am not trying to get advice on the dosage of hormones, just wondered if anyone else had experiences similar to mine and felt like bioidentical hormones affected the results of the whole 30 plan.

Thank you.

Okay so you're not quite hitting the template here... you may want to take another look at it.  

Eggs when they are your sole source of protein (bacon is a fat) are as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping... for most that's 3-4.  Why are you only eating the egg white out of one?  One and a half eggs is not enough food.  Was the kale and mushrooms filling your plate? LIke 2-3 cups?

Your other meals look okay to me, altho it's hard to tell portions the way you've listed them.  That said, I don't really see anything here that would be causing problems, so I would head to the doctor and see if the hormones are to blame... 

One other note, 70oz of water is good for a person that weighs around 140pounds.. if that's you, great... if you weigh more, make sure you're getting 1/2 oz per pound of body weight... 

So I was actually feeling pretty great when my orthopedic doctor put me on an anti-inflammatory for the lingering knee injury. 5 days into the new prescription and I was feeling worse and my blood pressure went dangerously high this morning. I don't normally check my blood pressure but at 4 am this morning I felt like it was necessary. A heart attack has been ruled out and initial diagnosis is that I had a rare reaction to the medicine (which obviously I stopped taking today). Long story short, I'm feeling a little like I need to add another week before re-intro to make up for the 5 days of feeling crappy due to a med. I'll see how I feel tomorrow about day 30 :)

Super excited where I'm at today!! I think I'm finally feeling the tiger blood TODAY, lol. I feel and look thinner, I'm never hangry, I'm experimenting with new foods, am full after less food, never over eat, not getting sick with my kids, clearer headed, more self confidence in myself for sticking to this for 30 days!! What are your NSV? 

So I am currently working on my reintroduction phase! Tomorrow I am planning on introducing beans, then next will be rice, and then I want to reintroduce stevia because I prefer that as a sweetener to sugar (or any other sweetener). Next week I want to start including whey proteins so I can make my morning smoothies. I am planning on switching immediately to another eating lifestyle that I've found success in. It's called Trim Healthy Mama, or THM for short. It's a way of eating that you don't mix carbs and fats in the same meal, waiting 3 hours in between meals, and having no sugar or unhealthy foods. I really like their philosophy.

I have planned to do another Whole30 In September or October, about 6 months from now. Who's with me?? 

@Hockey4Life, how are you feeling today? Will you be extending your whole30 to whole37? or whatever. 

Let's get roll call! Who's about to complete their Whole30??!!! Tomorrow I'll be weighing in and sharing how much I've lost. 

Archived