Facing the facts

Fenderbender

Hello all.... I'm six days into my very first whole 30 and loving it! My mind/ body is reacting very well so far to the protocol .....

Here's the kicker, after reading ISWF, I decided to take the emotional challenge of changing the way I reacted towards food very seriously and have tried to be deadly honest with myself about what type of physical/ emotional reaction I was getting while eating.

This morning while eat my PreWO meal I decided to try a new fat source of " hazelnut butter". I took a spoonful into my mouth and my brain lit up like a christmas tree!!!! " Holy $&@t , that was amazing!!! That my have been the best thing I ever ate in my life!!!! ". I love this W30 protocol Yeahhhhh! I was getting ready to dive in for a second spoonful........ Then it hit me, I was having a total emotional response to this " new for me" food source. It was way to remenisant of sitting in front of the TV cramming a whole jar of peanut butter down my gullet.

So the cold hard facts..... Hazelnut butter is not acceptable on W30 to me..... My dogs hare going to be real happy with there treats the next few days! :)

Good for you. I think this is a really important part of the whole W30 experience, working out your own responses to foods. When I first read on here about people making kale chips I thought 'Wow! Yes I love them!' I used to be a raw foodist and made and ate tons of them. I used to trek across to the other side of the city hunting for kale. But, like you, I stopped and thought, whenever I started a batch, I'd eat my way through til it was finished. I don't want that kind of response to food anymore, so not making them and honestly not missing them.

I so totally relate to this. In the "old days", I was famous for getting up after going to bed and making myself a PB, honey and butter sandwich on white bread. Sometimes I'd have a glass of chocolate milk. I can't even tell you the emotion this idiotic foraging would give me. Pure heaven. After more than 2 years of getting rid of such indulgences (not sure what else to call them), I still get that little itch once in a while, but hardly ever. I banned nuts, nut butters and dried fruit from my life and it's done me a world of good. I think you have great insite on what you want to change and what you need to get rid of for your personal Whole 30! I think it's so important to include that emotional work to really get the most out of this program.

So true Slw, and Kirsten .....

Personally I find most, including myself, are great at being " good little soldiers" and following the orders of a trainer/ instructor/guru/ what have you. But at the cost of being a passive participant in your life and not really owning your health. Then at the littlest excuse( how many people have I known who have done this) we find a reason to " blame the trainer/ whatever " and sabotage ourselves, chucking months of hard work out the window..... Honestly, how does a trainer know how you are feeling???? They can judge your performance as you jump through hoops.....

The challenge, as I interpret it, of W30 is to be your own leader, and truly own and be responsible for your health..... Btw, my performance, at the gym,kickboxing, has been crap, but I feel great all day long!!!! I know my body will shake it self out and I'll be performing better than ever.... Oh so this is what " growing up feels like....." :)

I am SUCH a good little soldier. :) I follow the rules to a "t". If I read that seed oils are bad, I don't let even a smidge be part of my program. In fact, sometimes I forget that is my own personal choice and I will tell someone "no amount of seed oils are okay". Thank goodness for moderators and the fact they come behind me and correct my statement. :) If I ate nuts and nut butter, I would eat them within the guidelines, but I would not be working on the emotional aspect of it. I would not be truly conquering my own particular dragons.

Don't be too hard on yourself as far as workouts go right now. In fact, maybe ease up a bit until you feel powerful again. That is just how I did it and it worked for me. You should (and I know will) do what works for you.

Archived