First Time Doing Whole 30-starting April 24th!

Bailey7

Yep I'm with the irritability!

Ignore my last cheery post - I'm struggling! Help! 

It's Monday am here (a bank holiday) so start of 2nd week and I'm tired, grumpy and so sooooooo sick of eggs and sweet potato. The thought of having buttered cabbage and bolognese sauce for breakfast is keeping me hiding in bed! 

I got in a horrible muddle cooking on sat - some for other people including baking - 3 lemon drizzle cakes - and it was tough. My fault for not organising it well (and defrosting the wrong stuff lol!) but tough and time consuming, a mountain of washing up and there wasn't really enough for our tea so had to cook again. Was in the kitchen for 9 hours!! Grump!! 

Then made a big family meal last night as my son and girlfriend came in , based on complient food but after doing roast pots, Yorkshire pudding and gravy none of which I could eat, I was left with meat (which I'm not v keen on in large chunks) and veg. Again. And no pud. 

I know this will pass. And I know this is my fault and I'm trying to think how lucky we are to have so much food around and so many people who love us (amazingly!) to share it with. But I'm tired. No way giving up but tired. Considered it last night but knew I'd so so regret it and hate myself and feel a failure so stared down the chocolate cupboard and even the Naked bars and made a cup of (black) tea. (I'm English - it's what we do in times of crisis!)

I wonder too if I'm eating enough protein? As part of the 9 hour stint I made a protein salad (delicious!) and weighed out the portion of chicken I was using and it was 80g ish . I went for my palm size as in the plate thing but the weight seems at odds with the recipes in the w30 book.  Any thoughts mods? 

Sorry for being such a grump and hope you're all doing better. Tell me what you all eat for breakfast and nobody mention Melissa's hash please (completely delicious but lots of grating) 

have a good day all and thanks for letting me vent my spleen! It helps!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/28/2017 at 10:31 AM, brittanyxo said:

Hahahaha. Hi Brittany, Brittany here, it's so on point for day 4. I was you the past two days, everyone annoyed me and my poor boyfriend got the brunt end of it. I am normally the softy, easy-going one, but the first week of Whole 30, I'm a irritated mini-monster!

Don't worry... It goes away!!!

Nice to meet you!  I so agree!!  I was talking to my bf this weekend and was telling him that I thought the first week went pretty well but I think I was slightly more irritable and he goes "Oh...I know!!"  he asked if the book described the side effects of the poor significant others who are not doing Whole30 alongside them!!  I felt bad for him but reminded him why I was doing this and that his support was important to me!  

I have to say - I am so happy with how I did over the weekend!!  I was worried because that is where I normally tend to cheat but I stayed on course!  We even went out to eat with the bf parents and I called ahead to ask about a few different items on the menu so that I knew what to order and how.  Anyone going out to eat I HIGHLY recommended doing this!  It is less stressful on the waitress and makes it seem like no big deal to the rest of the party when you place your order - "Salad with no cheese or onions and no house dressing please, can I balsamic vinegar and olive oil on the side"  

5 minutes ago, brittanyrmhf said:

We even went out to eat with the bf parents and I called ahead to ask about a few different items on the menu so that I knew what to order and how.  Anyone going out to eat I HIGHLY recommended doing this!  It is less stressful on the waitress and makes it seem like no big deal to the rest of the party when you place your order - "Salad with no cheese or onions and no house dressing please, can I balsamic vinegar and olive oil on the side"  

Yep it really helps to ring ahead. I did that when went to Cote Brasserie on Thursday - when I got there, there was an allergy menu waiting for me so I could choose s th complient and yep do the dressing swap thing. 

Glad, in a way, I'm not the only grumpy one but sorry for those we live with! Well done on your weekend. 

But.......didn't mention in my rant earlier.....all my clothes are getting looser which is a lovely encouragement when it feels tough. 

And I'm doing lots of non- food treats today to celebrate the holiday - bubble bath, some craft time and about to watch "call the Midwife" with the daughters. It's not all about food, tho this makes me realise how much it has been.

2 hours ago, brittanyrmhf said:

I felt bad for him but reminded him why I was doing this and that his support was important to me!  

We are in the same boat! My guy is currently home more often, so he has been cooking dinners, and yesterday (Sunday, Day 7), he saw I was getting cranky and just started making dinner. When I asked him what he was doing he said "Babes hungry. Gotta cook!" ... I'm so lucky. Haha.

Going out for dinner was almost impossible for me, but I found one restaurant that does a FANTASTIC blackened cajun chicken (no butter), and steamed veggies with roasted potatoes. It's not much different from what I make at home, but it allows me the option to go out if I want to.

2 hours ago, britgirl said:

But.......didn't mention in my rant earlier.....all my clothes are getting looser which is a lovely encouragement w

WOOHOO! Congrats. ME TOO! Haha, this morning was my first moment of, "OOH! Look at my shrinking tummy!" It really puts a pep in your step for the rest of the day!

• Moderators
9 hours ago, britgirl said:

I wonder too if I'm eating enough protein? As part of the 9 hour stint I made a protein salad (delicious!) and weighed out the portion of chicken I was using and it was 80g ish . I went for my palm size as in the plate thing but the weight seems at odds with the recipes in the w30 book.  Any thoughts mods? 

Sorry for being such a grump and hope you're all doing better. Tell me what you all eat for breakfast and nobody mention Melissa's hash please (completely delicious but lots of grating) 

Hard to say if you're eating enough protein but if you're not able to go 4-5 hours between meals without wanting to murder someone, you may need to eat more.  I don't really know what to say about the weight of food being at odds with the book... we don't weigh food, I have no idea how much 80gr of chicken salad is in relation to my palm (or yours).  If you want to list out what you've been eating for a few days using template portions, feel free and we can see if you're on the right track.

Also, if you have a food processor, when you buy your veg like sweet potato, throw it in the FP with the shredder attachment and then store in a zipper bag... voila!  One rinse of the FP and you have your shredding done!  I do the same with beets, sweet potato, carrots... 

3 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Hard to say if you're eating enough protein but if you're not able to go 4-5 hours between meals without wanting to murder someone, you may need to eat more.  I don't really know what to say about the weight of food being at odds with the book... we don't weigh food, I have no idea how much 80gr of chicken salad is in relation to my palm (or yours).  If you want to list out what you've been eating for a few days using template portions, feel free and we can see if you're on the right track.

Also, if you have a food processor, when you buy your veg like sweet potato, throw it in the FP with the shredder attachment and then store in a zipper bag... voila!  One rinse of the FP and you have your shredding done!  I do the same with beets, sweet potato, carrots... 

Many thanks @SugarcubeOD. About to go to sleep but I'll do that tomorrow. I've upped fats so pretty sure I have that covered so it may well be the protein. I have a vitamix but there's a fine line between grated and puréed! Will persevere though. How long does grated stuff last in the fridge? 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, britgirl said:

. How long does grated stuff last in the fridge? 

The drier the shredded thing, the longer it lasts, so sweet potato longer than regular potato, beets depending on how wet they are... I've had shredded sweet potato last from a Sunday prep until the following Friday or Saturday.

Hey Gang!  Hope I'm not too late to join this group.  I also started (again) on April 24th, and so far so good.  This is my 2nd attempt at W30, along with my husband.  We had good results with our first time, so I know it's worth it, but I must admit that I'm having difficulty hanging in there.

I'm a 59 year old from Oklahoma-USA, and I definitely do better when I've got the encouragement of this group.  Let me know if I can help you in any way!

Happy May!  

12 hours ago, GaryAndMe said:

Hey Gang!  Hope I'm not too late to join this group.  I also started (again) on April 24th, and so far so good.  This is my 2nd attempt at W30, along with my husband.  We had good results with our first time, so I know it's worth it, but I must admit that I'm having difficulty hanging in there.

I'm a 59 year old from Oklahoma-USA, and I definitely do better when I've got the encouragement of this group.  Let me know if I can help you in any way!

Happy May!  

Of course it's not too late. Welcome! I am originally from Oklahoma (hence my username) but I moved away about 5 years ago. This is also my second W30. Sorry to hear you are having struggles. Hopefully it gets easier soon. I feel like the first 2 weeks are the hardest. It got a lot easier for me after that last time..

Here's to hoping today is a good day!

Hi all, I started on April 24th and JUST now started with the forum.  I'm finally not exhausted during the day and I feel motivated to get things done today!! This is brand new to me and I'm going to get this done and feel great!!

On 5/1/2017 at 8:09 AM, britgirl said:

But.......didn't mention in my rant earlier.....all my clothes are getting looser which is a lovely encouragement when it feels tough. 

And I'm doing lots of non- food treats today to celebrate the holiday - bubble bath, some craft time and about to watch "call the Midwife" with the daughters. It's not all about food, tho this makes me realise how much it has been.

Yes!!!  Good for you - that is always exciting!  I said to a friend today that I am just feeling "lighter"  Not skinner or thinner or anything, just lighter (if that makes sense?)

Hi all,

I started on the 24th too and have been trying to get my head around everything. (Reading W30 stuff  like it's going out of fashion!)  Found this site and signed up as I'd tried to do W30 on my own once before and..well...the less said the better but two words come to mind - fail and spectacular.;)    It's day 10 for me today and I've had a cold for almost a week but I'm plugging along and hoping my immune system is regrouping and healing its little self.   Hoping you are all finding your happy and energetic selves as the days go by. 

13 hours ago, aussiegal said:

Hi all,

I started on the 24th too and have been trying to get my head around everything. (Reading W30 stuff  like it's going out of fashion!)  Found this site and signed up as I'd tried to do W30 on my own once before and..well...the less said the better but two words come to mind - fail and spectacular.;)    It's day 10 for me today and I've had a cold for almost a week but I'm plugging along and hoping my immune system is regrouping and healing its little self.   Hoping you are all finding your happy and energetic selves as the days go by. 

Feel better soon!  Try lots of soups - etc: chicken noodle with bone broth and veggies, sweet potato, and pumpkin! 

Welcome @aussiegal 

2 words come to mind - spectacular and perseverance this time round (I lied about there being only2 words!) Well done you! You are so going to complete this time I just know! Curiously loads of us went down with a cold on my last round such that we wondered if it was a reaction. Or just a world wide bug. 

Id like a medal this eve please for cutting up my daughters warm, oozy, dark awesome smelling brownie without so much as a lick ( she bakes for pocket money and the client was about to arrive....). But actually.......I know it's v sweet and tho I wanted some I really didn't want the consequences of having had some. So I chose not to and feel fine. Yeah! Think the dragon is packing his bags and looking for pastures new. Hope you're all doing ok and on guard for today and tomorrow- according for the timeline.......

On 01/05/2017 at 11:19 PM, britgirl said:

If you want to list out what you've been eating for a few days using template portions, feel free and we can see if you're on the right track.

So.......today meal 1had 4 bits streaky compliant bacon, 2 eggs scrambled with clarified butter, grilled pepper and tom. Large cup black tea

m2 baked potato with c butter, beef bolognese sauce H/m and spiced red cabbage

meal 3 stir fry veg, butternut squash spaghetti with c butter and salmon baked with c butter and lime with mayo and roast red pepper sauce. Slice of apple and satsuma. Large black tea and large fizzy water. 

Had 4 mugs of weak black tea thru the day plus 2 glasses water

Just had a tsp of almond nut butter before bed as tidied kitchen. Felt like I deserved after not eating brownie crumbs so need to work on that a bit! 

Y Day had similar breakfast but cabbage instead of peppers, and also half a sweet potato and mayo. Coffee with butter.

black coffee and 2 cups clack tea during am. 

late lunch tuna in oil( Half a tin) plus a hard boiled egg on big salad  with dressing and a tablespoon mayo. Water and tea. Prob too little protein 

Herbal tea mid afternoon. Glass of water while cooking. 

tea was (don't laugh!) Melissa's hash with a chicken breast on top ( none in it) using vitamixed sweet pot (thanks for the tip) and toasted almonds ( no walnuts) Glass water. Black tea

Feeling much better - think having to list has made me be more template conscious! Eating a baked pot or sweet pot most days ok? I'm on my feet all day ( I'm a physio) but not sporty

thanksIMG_3470.thumb.JPG.3e9c72bb1f0e4326edce4187c0effa3c.JPG

IMG_3472.thumb.JPG.8d1d6017f086f74c6213a25666f5d207.JPG

On 5/4/2017 at 8:13 AM, britgirl said:

Welcome @aussiegal 

2 words come to mind - spectacular and perseverance this time round (I lied about there being only2 words!) Well done you! You are so going to complete this time I just know! Curiously loads of us went down with a cold on my last round such that we wondered if it was a reaction. Or just a world wide bug. 

Id like a medal this eve please for cutting up my daughters warm, oozy, dark awesome smelling brownie without so much as a lick ( she bakes for pocket money and the client was about to arrive....). But actually.......I know it's v sweet and tho I wanted some I really didn't want the consequences of having had some. So I chose not to and feel fine. Yeah! Think the dragon is packing his bags and looking for pastures new. Hope you're all doing ok and on guard for today and tomorrow- according for the timeline.......

...And a medal you shall have!  You are a rockstar! B) I could not have done that - one sniff and the brownies would have owned me!  Even the knife crumbs would have called my name... 

Britgirl you are hereby awarded the infamous but courageous W30 ***Dragon-Packing -Brownie-Buster Medal*** of 2017!:D  Well done!

On 4/22/2017 at 0:35 PM, Bailey7 said:

I am starting my first Whole 30 experience this Monday April 24th and I am a mix of emotions!  I am nervous because of all of the times I have failed at losing weight, but I am excited for this program because of it changing my relationship with food.  Ever since the 6th grade I have been battling my weight and I am defeated after every time of losing any sort of weight.  I was overwhelmingly sad after taking all of my measurements and weighing myself before starting and I am looking forward to this huge change in my life!  After writing my goals for this program, I am feeling optimistic and cannot wait to get started!

Hi I started onthe 24th too-how's it going for you?

On 5/2/2017 at 8:20 AM, lynnegunn said:

Hi all, I started on April 24th and JUST now started with the forum.  I'm finally not exhausted during the day and I feel motivated to get things done today!! This is brand new to me and I'm going to get this done and feel great!!

On 5/2/2017 at 8:20 AM, lynnegunn said:

Hi to all from California!  I started on the 24th and am just now getting to the forum. I'm not feeling any huge differences and just in that period of doubt I guess. None of the adverse effects from the first week plus and not a lot of extra energy or anything. I'm hoping that I'll be able to feel some positive changes after giving up wine and cheese and my morning lattes!!  Anyone else feeling like this? 

On 05/05/2017 at 10:32 PM, aussiegal said:

...And a medal you shall have!  You are a rockstar! B) I could not have done that - one sniff and the brownies would have owned me!  Even the knife crumbs would have called my name... 

Britgirl you are hereby awarded the infamous but courageous W30 ***Dragon-Packing -Brownie-Buster Medal*** of 2017!:D  Well done!

Thanks Aussiegal! You just made my day! The crumbs were actually calling my name quite loudly  so I stationed a daughter not to leave me alone with them. It's the oozy bits on the knife that were the worst. But after 13 days it's not having me now! Thanks for the encouragement. I shall wear my medal with pride!

Just back from the wedding I was baking for. Cake galore after the service but instead of the agony of wondering which to choose and shall I or shan't I?or 1 bit or 27? I just sipped my black coffee, enjoyed no guilt and discussed shoes with cousins of the bride. All good. But occurred to me it much harder when I could it it so having strict rules makes it a no brainer and at some point I need to learn the food freedom bit, which feels a long way off! 

Tigger blood has not yet arrived. In fact I'm weary! Felt fab with the last round so hopefully will feel better soon. 

@SugarcubeOD - any comments on my food listings please?

@EKuhl I feel your latte pain! They're the thing I miss the most. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, britgirl said:

Thanks Aussiegal! You just made my day! The crumbs were actually calling my name quite loudly  so I stationed a daughter not to leave me alone with them. It's the oozy bits on the knife that were the worst. But after 13 days it's not having me now! Thanks for the encouragement. I shall wear my medal with pride!

Just back from the wedding I was baking for. Cake galore after the service but instead of the agony of wondering which to choose and shall I or shan't I?or 1 bit or 27? I just sipped my black coffee, enjoyed no guilt and discussed shoes with cousins of the bride. All good. But occurred to me it much harder when I could it it so having strict rules makes it a no brainer and at some point I need to learn the food freedom bit, which feels a long way off! 

Tigger blood has not yet arrived. In fact I'm weary! Felt fab with the last round so hopefully will feel better soon. 

@SugarcubeOD - any comments on my food listings please?

@EKuhl I feel your latte pain! They're the thing I miss the most. 

HI!

So sorry I missed your food list! 

It honestly doesn't look like you were eating enough at all your meals but your second day looks a bit better.  You may want to try cutting back the starch to one meal a day and adding more non strarchy veg to your meals... also the beef sauce looked good but probably way less actual beef than a palm full or so... that's a tough thing with sauces like that and chili... 

Make sure you're also adding fat to every meal in addition to cooking fat.  

Water is recommended to be 1/2oz per pound of bodyweight so you're a little short there.  Tea and sparkling water is great but plain water is what your body wants most... 

REmember, Tiger Blood can mean different things for different people and it's not always enough energy to jump from buidling top to building top,... sometimes it's just 'nice'... feel good, stable, steady, good mood, get out of bed and not want to punch anyone... that can be tiger blood too.

On 7 May 2017 at 1:48 AM, SugarcubeOD said:

HI!

So sorry I missed your food list! 

It honestly doesn't look like you were eating enough at all your meals but your second day looks a bit better.  You may want to try cutting back the starch to one meal a day and adding more non strarchy veg to your meals... also the beef sauce looked good but probably way less actual beef than a palm full or so... that's a tough thing with sauces like that and chili... 

Make sure you're also adding fat to every meal in addition to cooking fat.  

Water is recommended to be 1/2oz per pound of bodyweight so you're a little short there.  Tea and sparkling water is great but plain water is what your body wants most... 

REmember, Tiger Blood can mean different things for different people and it's not always enough energy to jump from buidling top to building top,... sometimes it's just 'nice'... feel good, stable, steady, good mood, get out of bed and not want to punch anyone... that can be tiger blood too.

Thanks so much for that @SugarcubeOD I feel like I'm eating a vast amount! After bfast at 7.30-8 I'm often not at all hungry again until 2. Should you eat if not hungry at mealtime? Usually eat a small meal to prevent a snack attack when not near template food. 

And I usually add mayo or dressing (tablespoon of either or sometimes both)which I count as fat, plus butter on any baked pot /sweet pot. Is that not enough?  

Will cut down starches to 1 meal as suggested as I'm stupid busy writing talks which stops me exercising sadly. And will up non starchy veg. I naturally gravitate to beetroot/carrot/ peppers which I guess are all a bit starchy/carby. I've been eating loads of broccoli kale and spinach but just read they're not good if you have thyroid issues which I do. Any suggestions of good non starchy non goitrogenic veg please?

Well many of us have reached Day 16... and that means our Tiger Blood should be starting to course through our veins, right?

I feel like my motivation to rant and rave about the Whole 30 dies off in this week, because you don't think much is changing... but if you really think about it, we can all probably notice at LEAST one non-scale victory, if not a few.

For example:

- I have not hit the Snooze button on my alarm in 14 days
- I tried on a dress that didn't fit on Day 1, and I wore it out on Sunday!
- My work has sales reps that come in every other day that bring Tim Horton's donuts, and rather than craving one, my teeth actually hurt at the thought of the amount of sugar caking them.
- AND, I caught my SO checking me out the other day and he said he can tell the difference.

Anyone else having some encouraging NSV's? We're over the halfway mark!!

I have noticed a few NSV's so far:

- My skin looks brighter and smoother

- I am not craving sweets 

- I find that I am enjoying my coffee black...wth!?! 

- My BF said over the weekend when he grabbed my waist "You feel skinnier" 

- My workout clothes are getting looser 

So exciting to think that we are halfway done!!  I, for one, have already decided that my eating habits after W30 are going to be similar to W30 with some cheats ;)

14 hours ago, brittanyrmhf said:

I have noticed a few NSV's so far:

- My skin looks brighter and smoother

- I am not craving sweets 

- I find that I am enjoying my coffee black...wth!?! 

- My BF said over the weekend when he grabbed my waist "You feel skinnier" 

- My workout clothes are getting looser 

So exciting to think that we are halfway done!!  I, for one, have already decided that my eating habits after W30 are going to be similar to W30 with some cheats ;)

I'm thinking the same thing Brittany, continuing W30 with cheats or that I maybe even a whole60! (Omg did I say that out loud?!:o)    I've got alot of years clocked up of yo yo and rubbish dieting but I can feel this working from the inside out if that makes sense.  As for Tiger Blood well I have "kitten blood" if that counts cos one of my NSV's is ever so slightly having more energy...sometimes... you know, when the moon is on the pale, the wind is coming from the east and I don't have to cook cos I froze something but that little smidge of extra energy is there....purring not roaring yet.  But I am hopeful that my inner tiger will emerge in time! 

My NSV's so far are a deep sense of stability and peace.  I'm amazed as my sense of monastery calm and it stays with me no matter what is happening!  Zen in a chicken leg and broccoli - who'da thunk it? But I sooo love the feeling!! 

Also I'm still overweight but have a flatter stomach - nice one!  

And get this - I'm laughing more and am more affectionate.  Not off the charts, folks, but I can notice a difference.  

My thinking is clearer and I feel less foggy,  Still a ways to go there yet  but my brain is at least having  some sort of little party and livening up.  

And I'm sleeping a little better and have actually started to sort of exercise in sporadic bursts which, my friends, is better than the zip I've been doing for a long time.

So powering on and hoping everyone here is well and happy and noticing lots of NSV's too. :)

Archived