So this is happening... again. W30R2

kellyfoss

Well I've attempted to write this post like 4 times and been interrupted by something. Currently my laptop is down so I will try this AGAIN. 

Last nights meal was grilled flank steak and salad with Tessamae's balsamic vinaigrette dressing. Very good

B: eggs/avo/tomato

L: small steak, grilled avo and grilled tomatoes

D: probably leftover buffalo chicken casserole. 

@Fallen_Leaf I'll send the recipe in a separate post. It's easy especially if you buy pre-cut ingredients :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a day yesterday.  My work laptop would not boot up all afternoon and I was worried I would have to get it completely re-imaged.  Luckily the magic IT people fixed it so I'm back in business.  But it sure did put me in a funk!  Left me very frustrated.  I couldn't sleep last night worrying about everything I was getting behind on...so when that alarm went off this morning to work out, I just slept right through it.  I don't even know if I'll work out this afternoon, I am seriously in a funk still.

I've been having this strange pain under my right rib cage for years.  Lately it has started to bother me ALL the time. I have had numerous tests done, thinking it was a gallbladder issue...negative.  Liver tests...negative.  Esophagus...negative!  But still, I have this pain.  One of the main reasons I went on Whole30 again was to see if I could relieve some of this pain from losing weight and eating clean.  Well it has only seemed to get worse.  I know that fatty foods are a problem with gallbladder issues...I'm not sure if it's the "good" fat in this diet or what but it has exacerbated the pain.  Which, is discouraging.  I want to feel GOOD and not think about this pain all the time.  I'm scheduled to go back to the dr next week and I'm going to demand an MRI or something.  I mean, it's literally bothering me every minute that I"m sitting in a car or at my desk (doesn't bother me when I stand up or lay down).  

One positive thing is the difference in my skin!  Wow this diet definitely makes a difference.  I know there are other positives but I can't really think of them right now because of the funk I need to shake off!  :(

19 hours ago, cashnic72 said:

What a day yesterday.  My work laptop would not boot up all afternoon and I was worried I would have to get it completely re-imaged.  Luckily the magic IT people fixed it so I'm back in business.  But it sure did put me in a funk!  Left me very frustrated.  I couldn't sleep last night worrying about everything I was getting behind on...so when that alarm went off this morning to work out, I just slept right through it.  I don't even know if I'll work out this afternoon, I am seriously in a funk still.

I've been having this strange pain under my right rib cage for years.  Lately it has started to bother me ALL the time. I have had numerous tests done, thinking it was a gallbladder issue...negative.  Liver tests...negative.  Esophagus...negative!  But still, I have this pain.  One of the main reasons I went on Whole30 again was to see if I could relieve some of this pain from losing weight and eating clean.  Well it has only seemed to get worse.  I know that fatty foods are a problem with gallbladder issues...I'm not sure if it's the "good" fat in this diet or what but it has exacerbated the pain.  Which, is discouraging.  I want to feel GOOD and not think about this pain all the time.  I'm scheduled to go back to the dr next week and I'm going to demand an MRI or something.  I mean, it's literally bothering me every minute that I"m sitting in a car or at my desk (doesn't bother me when I stand up or lay down).  

One positive thing is the difference in my skin!  Wow this diet definitely makes a difference.  I know there are other positives but I can't really think of them right now because of the funk I need to shake off!  :(

Hope your funk is starting to fade! That pain sounds so strange, I really hope you can get to the bottom of it. It's very frustrating to know that something is wrong but to not be able to pinpoint it. Keep focusing on the positives, you'll figure it out!

me again.  I feel like a board hog.  Sorry just using this like a diary too but also like to see everyone else's progress :)

Friday is here!  So glad.  I thought it was Thursday until about 8 am.  I don't know why!!

well I'm starting to think this stomach pain is definitely gallbladder-related.  seems like the more fat I have (good fats), the more pain I feel.  looking forward to my dr appt next week to get this checked out.

I posted this butternut squash/apple dish we had last night.  That was by far one of the best Whole30 recipes I've made.  Everyone in the family liked it, which is a miracle.  I can hear the family's groans every night when Mommy presents her latest WEIRD dish.  LOL

I'm sticking to the diet but I definitely do not feel energized.  I don't really notice it much until I try to work out.  Whoa I have NO energy.  Sure hope that improves.  

This is probably not good but this round I have tried to stay away from as much sweet potatoes, bananas...stuff that I was using as a crutch to get through my first W30.  I lost 8 lbs on my first round and my goal was 10...so I figured maybe not eat as much fruit, sweet potatoes and potatoes this time, see if it makes a difference...well it definitely makes a difference in the energy department.

Another thing that I am not experiencing as much on this round...sound sleep. The only thing I can think that might be making a difference is I've been drinking kombucha in the evening as my "cocktail"...does that stuff have caffeine?  I have no idea.  also I am having like 3 good sized cups of coffee in the am, I know that is not good.  

Have a good weekend.

Saturday. Headed to an Astros baseball game for Father's Day. Boy would I like to have a beer today!! I've been thinking about it a lot. We are going to eat beforehand since I'm not sure there will be much there for me to eat. It's going to be a test for sure. Maybe eating some food will get my mind off that beer. 

Hey all, 

I am currently on day 6 of my second round of the Whole 30. My first round was August 2016. This time its so much easier, I'm not going through any of the physical struggles I had last time and I'm certainly not feeling any of the things listed in the whole 30 timeline. Last time the timeline explained my days perfectly. Has anyone else found that their second round felt completely different (in a good way) or should I be checking my labels for whatever secret sugar has kept the pep in my step?

@acarte17 I totally agree with you. This is my second round as well and it's been MUCH easier. I have had a few symptoms from the timeline but not nearly like the first time. And I think it's because even though we go off the program in between, we are still more mindful of the quality of our food. So I'm much less likely to gorge on donuts than I was prior to my first whole30.

Sunday day 14

B: scrambled eggs, avocado, bacon

Haven't had lunch or dinner yet made it through the baseball game without caving. Lots of beer drinking around me but the craving subsided once the game got going. 

We ate dinner before we got there...had grilled sea scallops w a side of spaghetti squash and a Greek salad minus the feta. Oh and some raw oysters. 

Tomorrow my husband leaves for China for work. Two weeks of being accountable to myself. I really want to make it!! Feeling better in my clothes. Amazing changes to my skin! 

Help me, please!

I got sick on Friday - just a cold and I am feeling better now, but I didn't eat well on Friday because I was exhausted and miserable all day. That translated into eating a few too many dates. Gross. I didn't even feel gratified by it.

Saturday and today I have eaten a bit too much "quick" food because I have been on the road -- jerky, nuts (too many), fruit. It was that or eat the dairy-and-wheat-laden enchiladas, cookies, ice cream, and cake that were on offer. I was tempted but I didn't eat them, even if I did overdo the nuts and fruit.

Today I have been fighting with my SO and wanting to crawl onto the train tracks and die. I ate some dates after dinner. I'm trying not to feel horrible about it because today was also an on-the-road day and my lunch was mostly mango and almonds, but I had a nice salad + protein for dinner. I just feel bad about the dates afterward. I worked out every day (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) so I haven't TOTALLY gone off the rails but I'm feeling mad at myself for the fruit and nuts.

HELP. I'm afraid I'll be a failure at getting back on track tomorrow. I'm amazed that it's day 13, I've been sick and emotionally stressed and still managed to stay compliant, but I just feel gross. I don't know if I can get back to the healthy stuff and away from the fruit and nuts again. I should be able to but I honestly a little bit want to go to sleep and just die before morning so my emotional state is completely awful.

I just want to cry and cry and cry and cry and cry.

@linguistenator oh my goodness I feel for you! Here's my thoughts on it. I think...when we get so wrapped up in Whole30, that we start making ourselves feel REALLY guilty about things that would otherwise not be a big deal...like eating dates and nuts! You had a rough weekend, but no reason to beat yourself up about eating foods that are technically compliant! They are healthy and natural!! It's about ridding your body of the bad toxins in foods that are processed. So you had more dates and nuts than you normally would, but you are still doing a great job!! I'm sorry you are fighting with your SO! It's tough. You are still on track though! Forget this weekend and push forward!! You can do it! Hugs to you!!

52 minutes ago, cashnic72 said:

@linguistenator oh my goodness I feel for you! Here's my thoughts on it. I think...when we get so wrapped up in Whole30, that we start making ourselves feel REALLY guilty about things that would otherwise not be a big deal...like eating dates and nuts! You had a rough weekend, but no reason to beat yourself up about eating foods that are technically compliant! They are healthy and natural!! It's about ridding your body of the bad toxins in foods that are processed. So you had more dates and nuts than you normally would, but you are still doing a great job!! I'm sorry you are fighting with your SO! It's tough. You are still on track though! Forget this weekend and push forward!! You can do it! Hugs to you!!

I have a different take on it, @cashnic72  Whole30 is a food elimination diet and an opportunity to balance ones hormones, become fat adapted and reset one's relationship to food. So it isn't just processed foods that are elininated (some are, some aren't) but that whole categories of foods are eliminated--grains, sugars, legumes, etc. These are added back systematically to observe their effects.

In addition, the recommendation is three meals, no snacks (with exceptions such as post workout meals) and fruits are limited to occasionally and as part of a meal and nuts are limited in amount and as part of a meal as a fat. Snacking on fruit and nuts/nut butters may be technically compliant, but is not the way to see the most benefits from Whole30--energy, reduced cravings, digestive and hormone balance, etc. Getting into the three-template-meals-per-day-no-snacks-habit is the way to realize these benefits and build the foundation for permanent changes. 

Day 15! 1/2 way there!

B: 2 eggs, small avocado, some grape tomatoes that I barely ate because I'm kinda getting sick of them :(

L: cabbage, snow peas, two slices pork loin, tessamae balsamic, crushed cashews, 1 cutie orange. This was not good with pork loin for some reason. Had a couple slices of cantaloupe. That was definitely the highlight of my meal.

sliced apple

D: I am not sure yet. I am losing my excitement for food. 

I have really been trying to avoid almond butter, sweet potatoes and bananas this time. I ate too much of this my first go round. 

Sleeping good, skin feels great and I feel better in my clothes. Also much more even-tempered! I have the next two weeks of not being accountable to my husband...he's traveling for business and just his presence in the house keeps me from slipping. So it's going to be tough. Not really food wise, wine-wise. 

On 6/18/2017 at 10:18 PM, ArtFossil said:

I have a different take on it, @cashnic72  Whole30 is a food elimination diet and an opportunity to balance ones hormones, become fat adapted and reset one's relationship to food. So it isn't just processed foods that are elininated (some are, some aren't) but that whole categories of foods are eliminated--grains, sugars, legumes, etc. These are added back systematically to observe their effects.

In addition, the recommendation is three meals, no snacks (with exceptions such as post workout meals) and fruits are limited to occasionally and as part of a meal and nuts are limited in amount and as part of a meal as a fat. Snacking on fruit and nuts/nut butters may be technically compliant, but is not the way to see the most benefits from Whole30--energy, reduced cravings, digestive and hormone balance, etc. Getting into the three-template-meals-per-day-no-snacks-habit is the way to realize these benefits and build the foundation for permanent changes. 

I mean, no s**t, I know that. I have had a week in which my fiance, my only real family, has told me he's having doubts about the relationship. I found out my mother, who has been abusive to me all my life, has breast cancer. It's been a f*cking emotional rollercoaster and you know what? I'm not getting THE MOST BENEFITS from my life right now.

What I am doing is the best I can under exceptional circumstances. I'm going to extend my Whole30 by another couple weeks to make sure I'm banishing my sugar dragon effectively. I'm taking the data I've learned from this week and processing it. I now know more about myself and the complicated, lifelong, intricate connections among food, stress, love, hate, happiness, misery, and trauma than I did last week. 

And whereas before Whole30 I would have downed a bottle of wine and two pints of ben and jerry's, this time I processed my feelings and yeah, I ended up eating a few too many nuts and dates. But screw you, I'm not going to let the perfect be the enemy of the good. I stayed compliant. At a time in my life that I can barely get up in the morning and go to work. I didn't practice all the above-and-beyond recommendations of the Whole30 to a T. So f*cking sue me. Should I have eaten no food on the road trip? It was fruit and nuts or nothing. I think I did f*cking fine.

I know I'm taking an angry tone, but you sound like a complete pompous ass when you parrot the template back at real life experiences of trauma and loss and pain. So go pound salt.

20 hours ago, cashnic72 said:

Day 15! 1/2 way there!

B: 2 eggs, small avocado, some grape tomatoes that I barely ate because I'm kinda getting sick of them :(

L: cabbage, snow peas, two slices pork loin, tessamae balsamic, crushed cashews, 1 cutie orange. This was not good with pork loin for some reason. Had a couple slices of cantaloupe. That was definitely the highlight of my meal.

sliced apple

D: I am not sure yet. I am losing my excitement for food. 

I have really been trying to avoid almond butter, sweet potatoes and bananas this time. I ate too much of this my first go round. 

Sleeping good, skin feels great and I feel better in my clothes. Also much more even-tempered! I have the next two weeks of not being accountable to my husband...he's traveling for business and just his presence in the house keeps me from slipping. So it's going to be tough. Not really food wise, wine-wise. 

I hear you on the wine thing. I have started doing stuff like bubble baths with lavender, kombucha in a wine glass, and guilty-pleasure movies on netflix to replace the ritual. I also recommend booking yourself a massage or something special that you wouldn't do when your husband is around, just to feel like you're having an indulgence that doesn't require the wine.

1 hour ago, linguistenator said:

I mean, no s**t, I know that. I have had a week in which my fiance, my only real family, has told me he's having doubts about the relationship. I found out my mother, who has been abusive to me all my life, has breast cancer. It's been a f*cking emotional rollercoaster and you know what? I'm not getting THE MOST BENEFITS from my life right now.

What I am doing is the best I can under exceptional circumstances. I'm going to extend my Whole30 by another couple weeks to make sure I'm banishing my sugar dragon effectively. I'm taking the data I've learned from this week and processing it. I now know more about myself and the complicated, lifelong, intricate connections among food, stress, love, hate, happiness, misery, and trauma than I did last week. 

And whereas before Whole30 I would have downed a bottle of wine and two pints of ben and jerry's, this time I processed my feelings and yeah, I ended up eating a few too many nuts and dates. But screw you, I'm not going to let the perfect be the enemy of the good. I stayed compliant. At a time in my life that I can barely get up in the morning and go to work. I didn't practice all the above-and-beyond recommendations of the Whole30 to a T. So f*cking sue me. Should I have eaten no food on the road trip? It was fruit and nuts or nothing. I think I did f*cking fine.

I know I'm taking an angry tone, but you sound like a complete pompous ass when you parrot the template back at real life experiences of trauma and loss and pain. So go pound salt.

You're facing a lot of stress @linguistenator and I'm sorry. 

I was replying to @cashnic72, NOT you and I was NOT commenting on your food choices which I knew nothing about. My comment was specifically addressed to cashnic and I was just responding to cashnic's comment that Whole30 is about "ridding your body of the bad toxins in foods that are processed" to add that Whole30 is more that that. 

5 minutes ago, ArtFossil said:

You're facing a lot of stress @linguistenator and I'm sorry. 

I was replying to @cashnic72, NOT you and I was NOT commenting on your food choices which I knew nothing about. My comment was specifically addressed to cashnic and I was just responding to cashnic's comment that Whole30 is about "ridding your body of the bad toxins in foods that are processed" to add that Whole30 is more that that. 

Fair enough.

3 hours ago, linguistenator said:

@linguistenator you said what I've been thinking for a couple of days!!  If a person wants to insert themselves in a conversation for which they have NO idea of the context, this is what happens!!  It's ok if @ArtFossil wants to now point the finger at me, it was ME he/she was correcting...fine.  @linguistenator I was speaking to YOU and showing my support for your horrible weekend (which in fact was even worse than I knew).  

I understand what Whole30 is about.   I KNOW it's about more than ridding your body of toxins.  Jeezus. I read the books, follow the blogs, read the facebook pages, etc etc.  Yes I know what it's about!!  But then, life happens, ya know?  We do our best under stressful circumstances.  Honestly it's a miracle that you have stuck with the program through all of this and I am damn proud of you for doing so.

Day 16

Feeling good today!!  Wow did I have a good sleep last night.  Husband is in China and I hate to say it, I know I slept well because I had that whole dang bed to myself.  This morning I had eggs and tomatoes.  skipped the avocado (will explain why in a minute).

Lunch...chicken salad with compliant mayo, apple, eggs and pickle relish

No dinner yet but planning to go to a mongolian grill place.

went to the dr today about the pain in my right side.  she still thinks it's gallbladder because 1. my age (44), and 2. it bothers me when I eat anything with fat in it (good or bad).  so this morning I tested it out...didn't have avocado...pain was much less.  It's definitely the fat that is causing the problem because my gallbladder is not processing the fats efficiently.  So, off for one more test next monday and then I'm getting that darn thing taken out!!  

I'm glad that Whole30 has helped me pinpoint the cause of the pain I'm having!!  I seriously can't wait to get that thing removed!!

working from home this week and that makes me oh so happy.  It's just me and my 9 year old this week, the older one went to camp.  Tonight I"m taking the 9 yr old to a painting class.  something to do other than drink wine :)  

the massage idea is SO GREAT.  Also, could definitely use a pedicure to tame my eagle talons.  ha ha

Hope everyone's week is going well.

Nicole

Happy Thursday!

i can't believe this week is almost over. I worked from home and it makes 100% difference in my mood :) also much easier to eat properly.

yesterday had the usual breakfast, another batch of chicken salad for lunch, and dinner was yummy Dijon orange chicken recipe from nom nom paleo, along with a side of that butternut squash/onion/apple/bacon recipe I shared last week. Had my mom and MIL over and they ate all of it and loved it! 

Not sleeping as well the past two days...I definitely tired and not awake at night, but my sleep is light sleep. At least according to my Fitbit. Not a lot of deep or R.E.M. sleep. Sometimes I wonder about the accuracy of the sleep data though. I feel rested today. 

Yesterday my mom and MIL had wine with dinner and I had no problem drinking Kombucha instead. That is BIG for me. Actually wine does not sound great lately...but I think I could go for a vodka/club soda/lime. Of course I won't do it though! 

Also...I think I will be one day short on this diet. My last day will be July 3. I want to enjoy July 4 with my family and that will be difficult on this diet. So I'm officially ending 1 day early. Whole30 hardcore folks will not like that but like I said, life happens. 

I hope though to continue eating this way after July 4 though, up until a girls trip planned for August. That is honestly my end goal...to feel good and look better for that trip!! 

I'm keeping the exercise up, at least 30 mins HIIT training, 5x/week. Probably could do more but that's what I can manage for now. I'm definitely not trying to be a world class athlete, just healthy and happy!

Clothes are fitting better for sure :) 

Nicole

On 6/20/2017 at 5:51 PM, cashnic72 said:

@linguistenator you said what I've been thinking for a couple of days!!  If a person wants to insert themselves in a conversation for which they have NO idea of the context, this is what happens!!  It's ok if @ArtFossil wants to now point the finger at me, it was ME he/she was correcting...fine.  @linguistenator I was speaking to YOU and showing my support for your horrible weekend (which in fact was even worse than I knew).  

I understand what Whole30 is about.   I KNOW it's about more than ridding your body of toxins.  Jeezus. I read the books, follow the blogs, read the facebook pages, etc etc.  Yes I know what it's about!!  But then, life happens, ya know?  We do our best under stressful circumstances.  Honestly it's a miracle that you have stuck with the program through all of this and I am damn proud of you for doing so.

Thanks for the support :) It's been hard. 

BUT if I waited until my life was "perfect" to make changes... I'd never make changes.

I honestly think this is where most people's Whole30/Food Freedom goes off the rails: Letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. They see all the black-and-white language of the Whole30 and do The Thing, the one we're not supposed to do, where we go into a headspace where we are either "on" or "off" the program. And The Thing is a very powerful force on days when you're still technically compliant but beating yourself the heck up for eating A SINGLE LARABAR omg. 

Stop a sec. Consider The Thing.

Before Whole30, was your 3 pm slump a trigger for a bag of chips and a soda? Was your nightly de-stressing ritual (like, um, mine) drinking a whole bottle of wine and then getting the munchies for ice cream?

IN CONTEXT, is eating one Larabar really a "failure"? Or, in context, is it a win?

Context matters. Your personal context, because everyone starts at a different nutritional and psychological and physical place. If you're replacing your old habits with something way way way less damaging, even if it is not "ideal", then it is a m-----f---ing win. You shouldn't really care at this point if it isn't 100% in accordance with the Whole30 suggestions. You should care that, in the moment, you didn't give in to your old habits. You can focus on improving them even more later, once you're sure that the old habit is gone. But for now, friggin' celebrate the fact that you conquered The Thing.

Where people get lost is letting The Thing have all the power. "Ooooh you f*cked it up," it croons. "You shouldn't have had that Larabar, you dirty rotten cheater. Cheaty cheaty cheater. You can't do it. You're breaking the ruuuuuules. You'll never ever chaaaaaange."

And then the guilt creeps in and you go down that awful spiral of "f*ck it, I may as well" that ends with your face in a bowl of cookie dough ice cream with tear-salted caramel swirls.

Because you ate a Larabar. Which was compliant.

This is nuts. This is a baby eating disorder (or maybe even a full-blown one) raising its head to sniff the wind. There is no way you are going to get to food freedom if you beat yourself up every time you bend the rules (hell, even break the rules) of the Whole30. 

Here is what I say to myself every time I want to eat some dates, or some nuts, or a Larabar, or a Thing-that-is-compliant-but-not-exactly-ideal:

Are you doing this mindfully? Do you have a choice? Or, if you are brutally honest with yourself, are you caving in to the sugar dragon? (At some point during the Whole30, we all learn to distinguish "I am hungry" and "That is amazingly special and so I want some, and also I am hungry" from the loud, wheedling voice of the Dragon, which says "But I waaaaaant iiiiiiiiiiiit! C'moooonnnn, gimmeeee! I neeeeeeed it!" which is not our voice and feels very, very different. You know what I'm talking about.)

And if the answer is "I don't have a choice because I am traveling and my options are either fruit and nuts, cheese-slathered enchiladas, or not eating" then I make my choice in peace. If the answer is "I know this is not ideal, but it is honestly the best I can do right now," then I eat the damn thing and make sure to have protein and veggies at my very next meal. If the answer is "I'm feeding the sugar dragon," I call bullsh*t on myself, drink some tea, wait 30 minutes, and reassess. And usually I was right and I don't actually neeeeed the food I was craving. And it makes me feel like a grownup. 

But seriously. Honor your context.  

On 6/22/2017 at 0:31 PM, cashnic72 said:

Happy Thursday!

i can't believe this week is almost over. I worked from home and it makes 100% difference in my mood :) also much easier to eat properly.

yesterday had the usual breakfast, another batch of chicken salad for lunch, and dinner was yummy Dijon orange chicken recipe from nom nom paleo, along with a side of that butternut squash/onion/apple/bacon recipe I shared last week. Had my mom and MIL over and they ate all of it and loved it! 

Not sleeping as well the past two days...I definitely tired and not awake at night, but my sleep is light sleep. At least according to my Fitbit. Not a lot of deep or R.E.M. sleep. Sometimes I wonder about the accuracy of the sleep data though. I feel rested today. 

Yesterday my mom and MIL had wine with dinner and I had no problem drinking Kombucha instead. That is BIG for me. Actually wine does not sound great lately...but I think I could go for a vodka/club soda/lime. Of course I won't do it though! 

Also...I think I will be one day short on this diet. My last day will be July 3. I want to enjoy July 4 with my family and that will be difficult on this diet. So I'm officially ending 1 day early. Whole30 hardcore folks will not like that but like I said, life happens. 

I hope though to continue eating this way after July 4 though, up until a girls trip planned for August. That is honestly my end goal...to feel good and look better for that trip!! 

I'm keeping the exercise up, at least 30 mins HIIT training, 5x/week. Probably could do more but that's what I can manage for now. I'm definitely not trying to be a world class athlete, just healthy and happy!

Clothes are fitting better for sure :) 

Nicole

I am so with you on the kombucha!! I think I like it better than my wine ritual now... gasp...

I wanna challenge you though. Why plan to go off the W30 on the 4th ahead of time? I think you can do it. I think that there are loads of things you can grill that are compliant and hella tasty (My favorites: skewers full of cherry tomatoes, any kind of meat you like -- I suggest a flank steak, bacon-wrapped dates, kale braised on a grill or made into chips, fruit salad tossed with coconut chips and pecans, watermelon slices, cinnamon-cumin carrots... the list is endless). I think you can drink kombucha or fruit-infused seltzer water or iced tea and party it up. I think you can enjoy the fireworks and laugh with your family and play games outside without eating any cheese or drinking any beer. I hear what you're saying but I totally want to challenge you to ask why you feel like you can't "enjoy July 4" with your family without breaking your Whole30 promise to yourself. Without eating grains. Without drinking alcohol. Are your family members so boring? ;) 

I kid, but seriously, don't go off plan unless there is a super super good reason on the day of to do so. Maybe there will be a once-in-a-lifetime chocolate cake. I dunno. But I am challenging you to only go off plan if whatever the off-plan thing is is so FREAKING special that you'll cry every night for a week and regret it forever if you don't eat it. 

Because you made a promise to yourself.

You shouldn't break it on June 25 because you're afraid you won't be able to keep it on July 4.

(I am challenging myself to do this too, which is the only reason I don't feel like a jerk for challenging you too. I want company ;))

1 hour ago, linguistenator said:

I am so with you on the kombucha!! I think I like it better than my wine ritual now... gasp...

I wanna challenge you though. Why plan to go off the W30 on the 4th ahead of time? I think you can do it. I think that there are loads of things you can grill that are compliant and hella tasty (My favorites: skewers full of cherry tomatoes, any kind of meat you like -- I suggest a flank steak, bacon-wrapped dates, kale braised on a grill or made into chips, fruit salad tossed with coconut chips and pecans, watermelon slices, cinnamon-cumin carrots... the list is endless). I think you can drink kombucha or fruit-infused seltzer water or iced tea and party it up. I think you can enjoy the fireworks and laugh with your family and play games outside without eating any cheese or drinking any beer. I hear what you're saying but I totally want to challenge you to ask why you feel like you can't "enjoy July 4" with your family without breaking your Whole30 promise to yourself. Without eating grains. Without drinking alcohol. Are your family members so boring? ;) 

I kid, but seriously, don't go off plan unless there is a super super good reason on the day of to do so. Maybe there will be a once-in-a-lifetime chocolate cake. I dunno. But I am challenging you to only go off plan if whatever the off-plan thing is is so FREAKING special that you'll cry every night for a week and regret it forever if you don't eat it. 

Because you made a promise to yourself.

You shouldn't break it on June 25 because you're afraid you won't be able to keep it on July 4.

(I am challenging myself to do this too, which is the only reason I don't feel like a jerk for challenging you too. I want company ;))

You're not a jerk at all. You are right! Is my family so horrible that I can't be around them for a few hours without a glass of wine in my hand?? Well...

JUST KIDDING. They are great. July 4th is about grilling and there aren't plenty of things to grill that are still compliant! 

Thanks for the encouragement to stay with it until the end!!

14 hours ago, cashnic72 said:

You're not a jerk at all. You are right! Is my family so horrible that I can't be around them for a few hours without a glass of wine in my hand?? Well...

JUST KIDDING. They are great. July 4th is about grilling and there aren't plenty of things to grill that are still compliant! 

Thanks for the encouragement to stay with it until the end!!

That's the spirit!!!

Here's some inspiration from my favorite recipe blogger:

http://meljoulwan.com/2012/07/02/whole30-approved-4th-july-recipe-roundup/

Archived