Homemade Ghee versus store bought

I made a batch of ghee.  I only filtered it once through a coffee filter.  I switched to using that about a week ago and I am now bloated and constipated.  I am only on day 13 of my whole 30.  Is it better to buy the ghee to be sure it's dairy free?  I have always had a suspicion that I may be a little dairy intolerant.  But at this point I don't know anything for certain.  

I will totally take the gastrointestinal hit e'ry now and again once on the other side of this whole30 simply so I can eat ice cream and have some butter.  My love affair with dairy runs deep.  Even deeper than I thought since starting the whole 30.  I thought alcohol and bread were gonna be the hardest.  Turns out I'm a freak for some dairy.  Sorry I got a little off topic because you know love will make you do that and I love milk in all it's many forms.  

BTW - my comma key is broken.  Sorry.

It's not common but some people with dairy intolerance can have a reaction even to ghee. And there might have been other issues with yours  (Clean and dry container? All the water removed?)

The way to make sure the milk solids are removed is to make it yourself. Simmer it until cleat and all the water is removed and strain it. I've never used a coffee filter (don't use them) but I can testify that the classic method of four layers of cheesecloth leaves you with clear ghee. 

@crochetkim,

I have use refined coconut oil for cooking in place of ghee. Trader Joe's has a triple refined that has almost no coconut smell or tatste.

I understand your dairy obsession completely! I unfortunately cannot say I finished Whole 30, mine was Whole 27. But I was quite amazed at the difference in my almost overwhelming desire for dairy and how it changed over that time. On day 23 my mouth still watered at the smell. By day 28, even though I had stopped for a glass of wine, my desire for dairy had lessened. Now I'm going to keep it out for as long as possible along with many of the other foods. You can do it!

55 minutes ago, ArtFossil said:

Can't hold a candle to homemade with Kerry Gold butter. :)

I have no way to batch test my ghee when I make it.  I have dairy allergy so their process of making and testing is pretty important to me and why I usually forgo doing it myself.  Oh, and to be fair, I'm also lazy as often as I can manage to be.  

23 minutes ago, Ginsky said:

I have no way to batch test my ghee when I make it.  I have dairy allergy so their process of making and testing is pretty important to me and why I usually forgo doing it myself.  Oh, and to be fair, I'm also lazy as often as I can manage to be.  

Fair enough if you trust their clarification more than your own. I know my process and so I know I can trust it. 

As to being lazy, I've seen your meals and that is patently false. :)

Archived