Abstainer needs help!

I have just finished my second whole 30. I've read 80% of It Starts With Food  several times. While I'm on the program, the psychological stuff and the info about our relationship with food makes total sense. Both times I have had the best of intentions about re introduction. Honestly I haven't had a super difficult time with completing whole30, which surprised me. I am a rule follower and an abstainer all the way. And then once I'm done, my brain tells me,  "you can have champagne! You can eat bread!have some cheese "! And it's like my taste buds don't really want it that badly, I don't have crazy cravings, but I still feel driven to eat stuff that was "not allowed" before. it is almost like my brain is worn out from the effort and the self control. So obviously, I have mood swings after eating crap, get discouraged because it's only six days out, etc. realizing more and more that my relationship with food is not that healthy. On whole30, it feels like it is! I see that you recommend reading FFF and I will plan on doing that. But do you have advice for "abstainers" like me who have a really hard time with moderation? All or nothing for me!

It sounds like you haven't done a systematic reintroduction. Sooner or later, you will really need to do a proper reintroduction. Otherwise, it's very probably you will just do a Whole30 then watch the benefits you saw evaporate, then come back to do another Whole30 and on and on like that. 

The deal about the reintroduction is that if you follow the reintroduction rules (which you should like, because they are rules and there's a structure!) then you have a built in structure and transition to eating-after-Whole30. As @kirkor says, "reintroduction is where the deep learning occurs." It will give you essential information about how the foods you eliminated affect you, both physically and psychologically.

And the truth is, no one can do a Whole30 forever because Whole30 is black and white and one slip and it's no longer a Whole30. So, you really have to devise an eating plan that works for you and meets your goals. This is not a simple task.

If you struggle with emotional eating (I know about this) then I agree with @MeadowLily that the ideal is to get face-to-face help. If you can't do that or until you do that or in place of that, I recommend a book, Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole. It has really helped me with mindful eating and with getting my body back to "factory settings" ™ @MeadowLily again.

When you've finished a Whole30 is the ONLY time you can do reintroductions so do the reintroductions! Don't waste that opportunity! Get the information in a structured way, with just one food or food group per day, then at least 2 days of Whole30 eating, and not repeating the reintroduced food until ALL your reintroductions are complete. You might be surprised by the information you get and how it may make your "food freedom" or "riding your own bike"--eating mindfully, and making nutritional choices that make sense for your health--easier.

At the root of food addiction/disorder you will find Black and White Thinking. You can research it.

It can start in early childhood or teenage years. Sitting down with someone Face-to-Face  brings awareness back. Food Addiction is eating while in the unconscious mode....on autopilot. It's going to take longer than 30 days for recovery.   

Thank you both very much for your responses! I can remember even in childhood that I would eat junk food in secret sometimes and I would also binge-eat. That has continued into my adult life. It's not super frequent, and  I don't have a serious weight problem but the older i get, the more I notice the physical and emotional effects of it, when I DO do it....  @MeadowLily when you say "face-to-face" do you mean with a psychologist or just talking to someone about it, my husband for example? 

Food Addiction Recovery treatment program of doctors, dietitians, therapists and counselors.  Having the support of family members is a real plus but a food addiction recovery program can help you when there's no one around but you.

Archived