Start date July 1

Jen9426

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
10 minutes ago, SunnyMich said:

Ok, thanks for explaining that. More reprogramming away from sweet. Any thoughts about the lightheadedness/slight jittery?

Usually an indication of not eating enough... normally I"d suggest eat more fat but we've been over that.  FEel free to list out what you've been eating including portion sizes and we can see what's going on... make sure to list specific veggies, protein, fats and fruit and ensure you're salting your food :)

Hi all. I started on the first but am just now venturing to the forums. This is my first Whole30 but wow! It's changed my life. I was exactly like the bad example in "It starts with food". I thought I ate pretty good. I felt like crap, my cholesterol was getting worse and I couldn't lose weight. But still, you know, I was eating ok. Lol. What a difference eating true whole food make! I'm loving everything about the program. Happy to report my sugar dragon is dormant and his friend constant hunger is gone too. This is definitely a lifestyle change for me! 

Hey guys, late in the game but I'd like to join. No one is responding in my old thread! I'm also doing a whole90 (as a longer elimination diet), so I'm more just focusing on changing my habits and getting into a groove rather than worrying about what I'm going to eat day 31. It's been easier this time than my last whole30 as I have been eating mostly paleo the last 6 or so months with a gluten free pizza here and there when I was out. Coming from eating vegan last time was tough. I had a really hard time with the meat at first but after seeing so much improvement in my skin and autoimmune condition it got easier.

This week has been tough for breakfasts because I haven't had time to prep any veggies since being out of town last weekend and working my usual 11 hour days this week. I might employ the use of a paleo meal delivery for next week (they do whole30 compliant meals too) so that I can lighten my load a little bit!

On 7/17/2017 at 0:08 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Pre workout is recommended to be protein and fat - a hardboiled egg works... almonds are okay but nuts are recommended to be limited to a closed handful everyother day at most so they're not a good ongoing choice.

Post workout is not your meal.  It's a few bites of starchy carb and lean protein.  Eating a template meal requires fat and fat slows down the absorption of the protein into the muscles, so we dont' want fat withing about 30-45 min.  Your meal sounds good but ideally you would have eaten a post workout meal right after working out and THEN ate your dinner.

Thanks for the info Sugarcube. I appreciate the help. :)

Welcome Saltyicemom and doreyo! :)  

Doreyo, I think you are so smart for setting up a meal delivery during your busy work week. 11 hour days... that's intense. 

As a mom of many, one way I prep veggies is to buy things already "ready to eat"... sugar snap peas, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, avocado,... things I can just throw on my plate.  I also have a squash in the fridge that I just cut a chunk off of and microwave for 6 minutes till tender, depending on the size of the squash it will go for a few days.  Baby lettuce/spinach is easy to toss with olive oil and lemon juice. Microwaving a sweet potato is an easy side too or those steam bags of frozen veggies. 

18 days in and today my mouth watered for the chocolate chip cookies I made the kids. Rainy days make me want to bake so I whipped them up a special treat... I had to open the windows because the smell was intoxicating. I'm proud that I didn't cave. Have you guys faced any challenges this week?

Keep eating well my forum friends, you are all doing great! :)

Re: temptations. For the last 18 days I've been craving red wine and a donut (I don't even love donuts. Just can't get it out of my head). Yesterday at a meeting someone came to our table with the last of the cafe's donuts -- for free. I said "no". :)

2 hours ago, MaineacMom said:

18 days in and today my mouth watered for the chocolate chip cookies I made the kids. Rainy days make me want to bake so I whipped them up a special treat... I had to open the windows because the smell was intoxicating. I'm proud that I didn't cave. Have you guys faced any challenges this week?

Today was a particularly stressful day at work, I ended up having to work through my lunch and even after that I was so frazzled I was craving (for emotional reasons) a favorite paleo chocolate bar that they carry at the grocery store my clinic is right next to. Obviously I didn't give and let the craving pass but its tough during those emotionally trying days for me.

11 hours ago, doreyo said:

Today was a particularly stressful day at work, I ended up having to work through my lunch and even after that I was so frazzled I was craving (for emotional reasons) a favorite paleo chocolate bar that they carry at the grocery store my clinic is right next to. Obviously I didn't give and let the craving pass but its tough during those emotionally trying days for me.

Good job doreyo!  This is my first Whole 30 and it really opened my eyes to my relationship with food, I am totally an emotional eater.  So, I have had to come up with alternatives when I feel the need to grab something when I am emotionally depleted.  Now, I go for a walk, do a quick workout, dance in my kitchen, color or do something crafty, work in my garden, call a friend, etc.  It helps for me to write my stress relieving ideas  on a small piece of paper and keep it where I can see it b/c in the moment my brain doesn't always remember things.  

I just wanted to check in quickly, super busy lately. I'm still here, going strong. Happy Day 21! Feeling really good. Bathing suit fit today at pool party, yes. I ate grapes and the whole30 thai coconut soup while others ate the usual. 

I did add protein to my pre workout meal (hard boiled egg). The morning after I last wrote about the lightheaded thing, I had lightheaded jittery again and in the middle of the night. I had an important group workout so I got up at 5 and forced down 2 hard boiled eggs some almond butter and some squash and sweet potato, thank goodness, that did the trick. It was a long sweaty hard practice. I guess I wasn't eating enough like sugercube said. Hard to believe because I felt satiated. Maybe the body still adjusting after 50ish years of sugar and poison, and only 18 days of real food. 

I spoke with a medical professional who said fruit is ok for my pre workout meal because my sport, rowing, takes us into an anaerobic state where I need readily available carbs. So now I'll have egg or a little chicken, almond butter and a little fruit. 

I am concerned that 3 days after the 30 days I fly out for a trip most of which will be winging it and camping remotely at a music festival. I'm wondering which is the best approach. I'm feeling so good and don't want to be sick on the trip and won't be able to do a proper reintroduction time if I finish all 30 days. I am not doing whole 30 for health reasons. I plan to continue whole30/paleo as a lifestyle. Wondering if I should end earlier to have a proper reintroduction. Anyway, glad people are posting. This program continues to amaze me, you just don't understand til you do it and feel it. 

Starting the home stretch, team! How's everyone feeling? 

One of the biggest challenges for me has been cooking first thing in the morning. The last couple mornings I've had a couple fried eggs and called it good (not actually good!). Tonight I whipped up this breakfast casserole: http://crazytogether.com/easy-delicious-breakfast-saved-whole-30/

It was super easy. I just prepped the veggies while making dinner, left the oven on after dinner was over and put this dish together right after we were done eating. Let it cook while playing with the kiddo. Only one set of dishes for two meals! :)  It looks tasty and I'm looking forward to zapping it in the microwave while I'm still bleary eyed in the morning. 

Anyone have any favorite make-ahead tips or recipes you'd like to share as we move into Day 24?

Haha hippo hemoglobin :P

Still hanging in there over here, but not almost done. Not even close with my whole90 only almost a month in. I might start looking for some August 1st groups to join to keep me connected. I have been struggling with meal prep/cooking lately. Last week I worked 6 days (most were 11 hour shifts) so the idea of making anything other than fast/compliant is overwhelming. I also have more to do on my one day off than making ahead elaborate dishes so that's wasn't really an option either. So.... still doing my eggs and bacon for breakfast (still rare if I get veggies here because of the necessary prep), big salad with hard boiled eggs for lunch with a side of fruit and then dinner is usually some sort of starchy veg with a quick cooking meat with maybe some avocado on the side, or in rare (very rushed cases) a technically compliant smoothie. I know those aren't recommended but I'm usually not that hungry at night anyway so they keep me plenty full for what I need. If people have any fast, zero prep ideas for me that would be great!

50 minutes ago, doreyo said:

Haha hippo hemoglobin :P

Still hanging in there over here, but not almost done. Not even close with my whole90 only almost a month in. I might start looking for some August 1st groups to join to keep me connected. I have been struggling with meal prep/cooking lately. Last week I worked 6 days (most were 11 hour shifts) so the idea of making anything other than fast/compliant is overwhelming. I also have more to do on my one day off than making ahead elaborate dishes so that's wasn't really an option either. So.... still doing my eggs and bacon for breakfast (still rare if I get veggies here because of the necessary prep), big salad with hard boiled eggs for lunch with a side of fruit and then dinner is usually some sort of starchy veg with a quick cooking meat with maybe some avocado on the side, or in rare (very rushed cases) a technically compliant smoothie. I know those aren't recommended but I'm usually not that hungry at night anyway so they keep me plenty full for what I need. If people have any fast, zero prep ideas for me that would be great!

Hi Doreyo... you can do this.  You are 1/3 of the way there, which is AWESOME!  I picked up some canned compliant chicken breast and canned compliant tuna to have on hand for quick protein.  Maybe just some bagged veggies that are already "prepped"... snap peas, baby carrots ?  Wishing you the best. :D

15 hours ago, Jen9426 said:

Starting the home stretch, team! How's everyone feeling? 

One of the biggest challenges for me has been cooking first thing in the morning. The last couple mornings I've had a couple fried eggs and called it good (not actually good!). Tonight I whipped up this breakfast casserole: http://crazytogether.com/easy-delicious-breakfast-saved-whole-30/

It was super easy. I just prepped the veggies while making dinner, left the oven on after dinner was over and put this dish together right after we were done eating. Let it cook while playing with the kiddo. Only one set of dishes for two meals! :)  It looks tasty and I'm looking forward to zapping it in the microwave while I'm still bleary eyed in the morning. 

Anyone have any favorite make-ahead tips or recipes you'd like to share as we move into Day 24?

Hi Jen!  I am feeling great although the grilled cheese I made my kids today made my tummy rumble.  I quickly made up a salad and topped it with chicken breast to fight the edge off. :D  I cannot have eggs but the breakfast casserole you shared looks great.  I keep Aidelle's chicken sausage on hand as a regular staple because it is so good.  I will bake some sweet potato or roast it up and saute the sausage with onions, peppers, and sugar snap peas and then mix in the potato once it is cooked.  it is such a satisfying breakfast.

As far as make ahead meals, I like to prep veggies and have them ready to go so I can just grab them... so I might spend part of my day prepping carrots sticks, pepper sticks, broccoli, etc. so I can just snag them and plop em' on my plate when I am hungry.  I like to make up a big batch o' Bangers from the Whole 30 Guide and have those in the fridge/freezer for a quick go to meal with veggies and a potato.  I will also use my spiralizer and whirl out a few zucchini at the same time and keep the zoodles in the fridge for when I want them.  I keep a few bags of frozen fish on hand too... salmon and haddock.  I broil them and top them with lemon and ghee, it is so delicious.  Other than that, I  try to save out some protein from our dinner meal  so I have something quick for breakfast the next morning.

I hope you are all doing well!  Have a blessed week.

On 7/21/2017 at 10:58 PM, SunnyMich said:

I just wanted to check in quickly, super busy lately. I'm still here, going strong. Happy Day 21! Feeling really good. Bathing suit fit today at pool party, yes. I ate grapes and the whole30 thai coconut soup while others ate the usual. 

I did add protein to my pre workout meal (hard boiled egg). The morning after I last wrote about the lightheaded thing, I had lightheaded jittery again and in the middle of the night. I had an important group workout so I got up at 5 and forced down 2 hard boiled eggs some almond butter and some squash and sweet potato, thank goodness, that did the trick. It was a long sweaty hard practice. I guess I wasn't eating enough like sugercube said. Hard to believe because I felt satiated. Maybe the body still adjusting after 50ish years of sugar and poison, and only 18 days of real food. 

I spoke with a medical professional who said fruit is ok for my pre workout meal because my sport, rowing, takes us into an anaerobic state where I need readily available carbs. So now I'll have egg or a little chicken, almond butter and a little fruit. 

I am concerned that 3 days after the 30 days I fly out for a trip most of which will be winging it and camping remotely at a music festival. I'm wondering which is the best approach. I'm feeling so good and don't want to be sick on the trip and won't be able to do a proper reintroduction time if I finish all 30 days. I am not doing whole 30 for health reasons. I plan to continue whole30/paleo as a lifestyle. Wondering if I should end earlier to have a proper reintroduction. Anyway, glad people are posting. This program continues to amaze me, you just don't understand til you do it and feel it. 

SunnyMich, how long is your festival for?  I think if it were me, I would rather extend my whole 30 for a few days vs. cutting it short.  Although, camping remotely might be tricky for food prep.  Maybe bring canned compliant salmon/tuna/chicken for the meat?  Veggies, fruit, and potato should do well camping but I would think the meat would be the trickiest part.  Whatever you choose to do, you are doing a great job!  The Thai Coconut Soup sounds amazing, I think I will try to whip that up this week. :D

So I actually managed to really cook something last night, albeit at the expense of working out after work, but I did ride my bike to work yesterday which isn't far but at least it was something! I made a big veggie/potato/sweet potato hash and then made some chicken thighs to go with it. This morning I was able to have some leftover hash with a couple over easy eggs on top. My lunch salads this week are a little more interesting because I picked up a 6 flavor sampler pack of fire ciders from a local vendor in Portland at one of the farmers markets on Saturday. If you don't know I guess fire cider is infused apple cider vinegar. The one I'm using this week is infused with cilantro, parsley and mint I think? Sooo good. I also got some of the most gorgeous purple cauliflower at the market which I'm throwing into the salads and used last night in the hash.

Thanks for the tips @MaineacMom , though I'm not the biggest fan of canned meats or fish. I think a lot of it is mental, but I had been vegan for 6 years before trying paleo for my autoimmune disease. I have a hard enough time eating meat if its not super high quality or like restaurant grade fish that eating it from a can just isn't feasible for me.

@SunnyMich I'm going to a festival the first part of August too! Though for this one I will have access to a kitchen and can make all of my own food which is great. Next month I'm going to a music festival in Seattle, but the food prep will be a challenge. I imagine it will be a lot of salads while eating out and epic, lara or Rx bars to sustain me during the day. I think situations like that are good practice for taking your new found habits on the road/making smarter food choices all the time. If you look at it as an opportunity, rather than a hassle I find that's winning half the battle. My roommate recently did a whole30 and went on an overnight back-packing trip. It was a shorter hike out and I think she managed to maintain it by dealing with the extra weight of non-freeze dried food and icepacks for the eggs/meat! Although not optimal I would rely upon jerkies, compliant bars, and trail mix a lot for longer camping trips. Farm fresh eggs do not need to be refrigerated too!

Hello and Happy Day 26! Still going strong, amazing. @MaineacMom, the festival is 3 days then I can go replenish then camping again for several more.  And thank you for the encouragement! I may do hotel stay to make things easier. Planning on hard boiled eggs, avo, canned meat, almond butter and lots of veggies and fruits that can be in cooler. @doreyo My music fest is in Michigan, would be interesting if we were going to the same one. They say there'll be a kitchen at mine but it just sounds complicated, I won't have cookware as I'm flying from SoCal. I will take some Lara bars as you mention and am trying to find compliant jerky. I am thinking about trying a little reintroduction of foods that will probably be available like oat meal. I don't really want to do that but I don't want to be sick. Then when I return, I'm back at it. Planning to do some research tonight on after the whole30 as I really love it and will continue. I want to see what others are doing, I'm guessing I'll go paleo. Went to the doc yesterday just to check in and have her know I was doing this, blood pressure lower, drew blood to check cholesterol etc, very interested in those results. My body is reshaping, pants fitting a lot better, my pooch belly that I've always had is flattening, truly a miracle. I just talk all the time to people about whole30. It's been surprisingly easy for me, I had taken a break from alcohol before I started this and I guess I have one of those crazy brains like "Melissa" who can stop cold turkey kind of thing. Thank you for the recommendations. And any of these things we're talking about are worlds better than eating breads, dairy and foods with no nutrients and lots of preservatives. I should be able to survive a week. 

Today I had a burger on eggplant as recommended from the book - yum. I hope you're all having a good day.

Archived