Start date July 1

Jen9426

Hi there. I did my first Whole30 in May of this year and loved it. Found that excessive reunions, travel, etc in June made for more loose eating and boy, could I feel it!  So I'm back for Round 2!  I'd like to do this for 45-60 days, as I found I never reached the Tiger's Blood I was hoping for. We'll see how things go this time around. Cheers to everyone!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/4/2017 at 6:53 PM, rickandwendy247 said:

Hi Maineac Mom! I am in awe of your ability to type complete sentences with six children scurrying about. :) Your post made me laugh because my family loves snacky lunches, though they used to include crackers and cheese too. And I agree, the toothpick trick always makes food seem fancy.

Our boys both have Autism (ASD) and one has some skin and allergy issues (non-food related) so we are hopeful that this program will help us see how certain foods really impact them (and us). I may decide to add to their program down the road, but for now they are excited about joining us for this journey.

rickandwendy, you made me smile.  It is tricky writing complete sentences with the crew underfoot... it's a bit chaotic in here but it's a beautiful chaos that I am so blessed to be in the midst of. :D

My cousin's son has Autism and she has noticed a HUGE difference since removing gluten from his diet.  It is amazing how something as simple as food can affect our bodies so greatly.  I am excited to hear more about your journey and how the boys do with their new food adventure. 

2 hours ago, Jen9426 said:

This first week has been much harder than I anticipated. I ate healthy before, had been making compliant meals for about a week before we started, and really thought I'd do week one without a problem. But I'm finding I hate the feeling of being "deprived" of things. (I did weight watchers last year and loved that I could have anything I wanted, I just needed to budget...which often meant that I chose to say  "no thank you"). Anyway, I nearly quit last night when the chicken thighs refused to cook and dinner was a hour late and I was eating olives and really jonesing for some peanut butter... this morning, I told my husband that I was committed to hanging in there both to support him and hopefully to achieve "tiger blood" by week 3. He responded, "Tiger blood would be great. Right now I think I have Hippo Hemoglobin". :D

You can do this Jen9426!  I totally hear you about craving a big ol' spoonful of pb but remember, we are doing this to get better and it's only for 30 days. Only 24 more to go!!  For me, I think a lot of the struggle is in my mind.  When I feel like I am  being "deprived" I treat myself to something I can have that I don't  necessarily splurge on.  So on the 4th that looked like a nice steak (something I never buy) and the pretty strawberries from the farm stand down the road to toss into a spinach salad.  I am trying to focus on what I CAN have rather than on what I can't.  Now, my family is not doing this with me so there are a lot of "cant's" around... however, I have been gluten free/dairy free for a year now so I am getting used to saying "no thank you" because I know the payoff for me is so not worth it.  Hang in there... it will get better and know that we are here cheering you on!

PS:  Hippo Hemoglobin made me giggle. :D

I made this Southwest Chicken in the crockpot last night and served it up with roasted acorn squash sprinkled with cinnamon and dotted with ghee, a veggie tray, and homemade kale chips.  Very yummy!  I found a Whole 30 compliant chicken broth at Sam's Club (it was organic with NO SUGAR or junk!) so when I am in a pinch I have something to turn to.  Woot!  Happy Day 6!

We made it through the first week! :D  How is everyone doing?  

I have discovered:

Eating 3, well rounded, protein rich meals = I am not hungry in between meals AND I don't have the afternoon crash.  Bonus!

I have also found out that I truly dislike unsweetened iced tea.  Blarg. :P  So, water with lemon is my go to drink to beat the heat.

If you like fish, I made some baked Haddock last night that knocked my socks off (ok, technically, I wasn't wearing socks... but if I were...).  I brushed a fresh haddock fillet with ghee and coconut milk, coated it with almond flour mixed with spices (dill, garlic, salt and pepper) and baked it at 500 for 15 minutes.  Yum!  

It was a long slog for those first ten days, to be honest. I love some of the food I've made (and took your advice, @MaineacMom and gave us a treat -- I tried making ribs for the first time -- yum!). I'm feeling pretty good, though not amazing (yet!). It's been a very educational experience. Some things I hope I will take away when the 30 is done: making sure to plan for veggies at every meal (I love veggies, but sometimes forget about making them!), reading labels (so much sugar and soy!!), and planning not only dinners (which I did before), but also lunches. I also didn't used to plan through all 7 days of the week...which inevitably meant we'd be eating out once or twice. Haven't eaten out yet. I'm getting a little tired of the kitchen, though... :)  While my husband says he still has "platypus plasma", some of his aches and pains are feeling better -- hoping for good things in the next couple of days. 

Here is a meal we loved: http://www.skinnytaste.com/turkey-taco-spaghetti-squash-boats/

I have been a little hesitant to post because I feel a little guilty that it is going so well. How bizarre is that!? We have all had various cravings once or twice, but for the most part everything has been so yummy and filling that it has been easy to focus on the haves instead of the have nots. After dinner one night, my husband chopped up some mango, banana and peach that we topped with just a little coconut milk and a sprinkling of toasted coconut. It was delish! And it seems that the lack of wheat, sugar and dairy is helping my boys really experience flavors with undiluted taste buds. 

I could do without all the dishes though! :) And breakfast seems to be the hardest hit in terms of content, I definitely need to come up with some new ideas there. 

MaineacMom, I am going to take you up on your haddock dish, it sounds yummy.

Jen9426, those turkey spaghetti squash boats look awesome, I am going to whip em' up this coming week!  It sounds like you are taking away some great realizations about food and planning which are great non scale victories that will continue to help you even after the W30 is over.  I hope the "platypus plasma" (this just cracks me up! :D) subsides and the Tiger blood courses through your veins soon. You guys are doing a great job!

rickandwendy247, I too have felt a little guilty about posting because I have felt awesome on the W30.  I think being gluten free and already cutting out a lot of different foods due to allergies/sensitivities really put my body in a place of being detoxed for the most part. I am so glad you guys are thriving and that the boys are enjoying it too, that's great!

With a family of 8, we do a lot of dishes.  So, I gave myself the gift of using paper for one meal a day and it really saves time. Heck, we could use paper more often but I do enjoy eating off of a pretty glass plate.   I am an old soul who is enamored with  table linens, china tea cups, and pretty place settings.

For breakfast today I enjoyed a beautiful Warm Pumpkin Breakfast Bowl ( I omitted the dates because I have a serious sugar dragon that I need to keep locked up) and I used almonds instead of pecans because that is what I had on hand.  It paired nicely with a chicken sausage and greens. Often times my breakfast is leftover protein from the day before with greens and sweet potato/squash.  I try to mix up the type of squash so I am not bored or make a squash or sweet potato soup.  

We can do this guys... :D

Okay, you are seriously speaking my language with the warm pumpkin breakfast bowl, I can't wait to try that!

Jen9426 the taco boats sound yummy too. I saw an idea for baked plantain chips that would be great with the taco mixture and make it very kid friendly.  For your peanut butter cravings, have you tried almond butter? The initial mixing is no fun but it is a perfect snack with apple slices when I am wanting something peanut buttery. For my boys, I bend the rules slightly and make a frozen banana, almond milk and almond butter smoothie to go along with their breakfasts or for a snack. They love it

And I truly understand your feeling like you are slogging through it. Honestly my husband and I have struggled with weight since our childhoods and have done just about every diet and shot known to man. None really worked for long and none of them got us to focus on good nutrition and our habits. What struck me about this eating plan was its core message of giving yourself an opportunity to really see how foods affect you and how you might use (or misuse) them. Personally, I am a full time student at the ripe age of 43 and the anxiety of each new semester brings an overwhelming desire to drowned myself in M&M's. And I have, time and again, but it didn't really help my feeling anxious. If anything it may have postponed it until the next day.  This plan is helping me see my snacking habits and recognize those things that trigger me.  I try to look at it as a chance to dial things back a bit, learn how to work within the core of good nutrition and then maybe down the road (30+ days) I will add back some occasional chocolate, wine and bread (in that order). I am not sure if that helps at all, but I don't want anyone to feel like they are alone in making their way through this plan. 

P.S.

In case anyone needs a meal idea...this afternoon for lunch I made some meatballs, removed them from the pan and then sauteed onions, peppers and garlic in the same pan. Then added a can of tomato sauce, a spoonful of tomato paste and a little chicken broth. Once it was mixed together, I added broccoli florets, a dash of crushed red pepper and the meatballs to simmer a bit. My boys can be very finicky with sauces (and smells), so I had some funny faces until they tried it. Both really liked it and the youngest asked if we can have broccoli like that again. Score!

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, rickandwendy247 said:

Okay, you are seriously speaking my language with the warm pumpkin breakfast bowl, I can't wait to try that!

Sorry guys, this is really not recommended. It's in the family of faux-cereal, n'oatmeal etc and we really caution you against it. 

3 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

Sorry guys, this is really not recommended. It's in the family of faux-cereal, n'oatmeal etc and we really caution you against it. 

Nooooo!!! :( Guess I'll pop it in the freezer and pull it out next month. Back to the drawing board...

I MADE MAYO!! Seriously, it's taken me 2 weeks and three tries (and I know my way around a kitchen). I take this as a sign that the back half of our Whole30 is going to be a breeze. :)

Also, grocery shopping was incredibly easy yesterday. Take all the fruits and vegetables and the best looking meat on sale. Grab a case of La Croix, a dozen eggs, and call it good.

Hi Everyone! I'd like to introduce myself to the group. I started on the first but was on another group that has gone silent. I'm a newbie to this, not sure why 2 groups were formed. I hadn't seen this one. So now I'm switching over. Grateful there is activity here. 

So it's day 15 and I'm surprised I've been going strong. I didn't know what I was doing when I started, I'd just jumped in. I received my book about 7 days in and read your supposed to prepare before starting, not sure that would have worked for me. I am so grateful a friend invited me to do this with her. She has since started only partially doing it, so obviously my angels were looking out for me. I'm feeling so much healthier in several ways. My mind is blown by all this. 

Anyway Jen9426, I just got back from the store purchasing light oil to try making mayo. I'm good in the kitchen too but sounds like it's tricky. Fingers crossed. I made the chimichuri  sauce yesterday and I'm going to make the hollandaise now before trying the mayo. Hope you all are having a good day. 

Welcome, @SunnyMich.  How did the mayo work out? I had to "warm up" the egg, make sure my blender was on the medium setting (not low) and pour the oil in so slowly it was almost a zen practice. :) I hope you got it on the first try! (It's delicious and I think I will always make my own mayo now that I have the trick!).

Happy our farmer's market is tomorrow. Looking to get some "happy eggs" and maybe a farmer with a greenhouse has a good tomato ready to sell.  My kingdom for a real, ripe tomato this time of year! 

Congratulations on the mayo Jen9426 and a big welcome to SunnyMich! :)  SO glad you are here.  I think you guys are brave for making mayo.  I have a sensitivity to eggs but have been wanting to try out the egg-less mayo recipe and have been hesitant.  I hate wasting ingredients.  You have inspired me to give it a whirl.  I have been mashing up avocado with lime and a little salt to use as a condiment on turkey burgers and to top salads with and such.  

I really like the simplicity of Whole 30.  Like you said Jen9426, shopping is easier.  I went through the store the other day and just perimeter shopped, it was great.  My family is not doing Whole 30 with me but I don't make separate meals so they eat much of the same things as I do, I just might add a side of rice for them or make a treat for dessert that they can enjoy.  I adapted this Teriyaki Shrimp recipe to be Whole 30 compliant and i thought it came out pretty awesome.

My alterations = 

sub arrowroot for cornstarch

I used a splash of 100% peach juice instead of sugar/honey (a scant 1/4 cup)

Sub coconut aminos for soy sauce

I did not use sesame seeds, I couldn't remember if they were compliant or not.

And I added in a lot of different veggies (carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans) along with the sugar snap peas.  I served the families' dinner over rice and mine over potato and had salad on the side. 

Keep up the good work everyone! :)

Thank you ManiacMom and Jen9426 for the warm welcome, it's nice to have company. Well yes actually the mayo came out great. I was worried about posting that yesterday as I'm a newbie and didn't want to come across as a braggart. I read somewhere about letting ingredients come to room temp and I'm guessing that helped with my success. I used my blender which made a huge mess! I guess there is an attachment for food processors that allow an opening to add while blending, I have a 4 c cuisinart, that naturally doesn't function with lid off. I really am amazed it turned out, and actually tastes like, well, mayo. Didn't expect that. 

I really am blown away by whole30 and plan to continue most of the philosophies. I don't want to ever buy store bought mayo again. Everything is just making so much sense. That being said, today is the first day I've woken up (Sunday morning) craving a sweet maple syrupy breakfast. So my mind is wondering about the future and doing those things modified and rarely, but I know I'm getting ahead of myself. It's day 16 and I'm feeling really good, clear headed, more connected to the life force. 

I read the other day that we're supposed to have a lot of fat, like 2 - 4 thumbfuls plus avo and olives, still hard to process that. So last night I had chimichurri sauce on my chicken and the mayo on my broccoli. And that after having hollandaise on salmon eggs for lunch. Even tho I no longer have indigestion, I can "feel" all that fat from yesterday, slight nausea. Thoughts? 

Happy day 16! Have a good one : )

• Moderators
4 hours ago, SunnyMich said:

I read the other day that we're supposed to have a lot of fat, like 2 - 4 thumbfuls plus avo and olives, still hard to process that. So last night I had chimichurri sauce on my chicken and the mayo on my broccoli. And that after having hollandaise on salmon eggs for lunch. Even tho I no longer have indigestion, I can "feel" all that fat from yesterday, slight nausea. Thoughts? 

Happy day 16! Have a good one : )

Hey there - Just to clarify, it's 1-2 thumbs of a dense fat like olive oil, ghee etc... OR a half/whole avocado OR a few open handfuls of olives... Of course you can mix and match but you are certainly not required (or recommended) to eat ALL the options at every meal.  We generally say don't count the fat that something is cooked in because some stays in the pan and then the rest gets split between portions so say roasting veggies in some olive oil doesn't really 'count' but your dinner last night could probably have been just the chimichurri dolloped on the plate and I"d even suggest that a salmon and egg dish with a scant amount of hollandaise would be plenty, eggs being fatty, salmon being fatty... 

Day 17... WOOT!  Just wondering what you guys do for your pre-workout "meal"?  Today I had to fly out of the house to meet up with a friend for an early morning walk so I just grabbed 6 almonds.  Usually I try to have a protein cooked up and ready to go but yesterday was so busy I did not plan well enough ahead.  I had a nice post workout meal to make up for it.  Chicken breast sauteed in a little olive oil and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper, mixed greens (chard, kale, spinach, beet greens) sauteed with lemon and garlic, beets, potato, and a few fresh blackberries from our yard. :D

High fives to everyone... we are over the half way mark and making great progress.  Keep up the good work!  I cannot tell if I have lost any weight but I am definitely experiencing non scale victories that are going to be a game changer for me, especially regarding my sleep.  How are y'all doing?

• Moderators
3 hours ago, MaineacMom said:

Day 17... WOOT!  Just wondering what you guys do for your pre-workout "meal"?  Today I had to fly out of the house to meet up with a friend for an early morning walk so I just grabbed 6 almonds.  Usually I try to have a protein cooked up and ready to go but yesterday was so busy I did not plan well enough ahead.  I had a nice post workout meal to make up for it.  Chicken breast sauteed in a little olive oil and lightly seasoned with salt and pepper, mixed greens (chard, kale, spinach, beet greens) sauteed with lemon and garlic, beets, potato, and a few fresh blackberries from our yard. :D

High fives to everyone... we are over the half way mark and making great progress.  Keep up the good work!  I cannot tell if I have lost any weight but I am definitely experiencing non scale victories that are going to be a game changer for me, especially regarding my sleep.  How are y'all doing?

Pre workout is recommended to be protein and fat - a hardboiled egg works... almonds are okay but nuts are recommended to be limited to a closed handful everyother day at most so they're not a good ongoing choice.

Post workout is not your meal.  It's a few bites of starchy carb and lean protein.  Eating a template meal requires fat and fat slows down the absorption of the protein into the muscles, so we dont' want fat withing about 30-45 min.  Your meal sounds good but ideally you would have eaten a post workout meal right after working out and THEN ate your dinner.

OMG Sugercube, thank you for clarifying that. I'm looking at the book and I don't see "or" anywhere. This makes more sense, whew! And I think my body can feel the right amount of fat like you suggest with the salmon and eggs etc.  

Happy day 17 back to you Maniacmom. We're doing it! I know I'm not doing it perfectly but this is my first time and I'm doing my best. And it's massively better than I was eating before. I plan to keep learning and implementing more, even after the 30 days.  So at the risk of getting in trouble, here's what I had pre work out this morning ( and I know it's not recommended) - banana, apricot and almond butter. I used to have bagel honey and almond butter before, and this feels better. But it sounds like I should be having fat and a hard boiled egg. Sounds icky but maybe I'll try that for tomorrows workout. 

So yesterday I did a workout that usually has me exhausted by bedtime. Yesterday I could barely feel I had worked out. Wow, like you say Maniacmom, non scale victory - a big one. I row and want to really improve my stamina and strength, this shows potential. I have been having slight lightheadedness which the other day seemed related to hydration and salt which nipped it in the bud. Today, I'm not sure as I've been drinking a lot of water and trying to get my salt. Thoughts?

Keep up the good work!

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, SunnyMich said:

OMG Sugercube, thank you for clarifying that. I'm looking at the book and I don't see "or" anywhere. This makes more sense, whew! And I think my body can feel the right amount of fat like you suggest with the salmon and eggs etc.  

Happy day 17 back to you Maniacmom. We're doing it! I know I'm not doing it perfectly but this is my first time and I'm doing my best. And it's massively better than I was eating before. I plan to keep learning and implementing more, even after the 30 days.  So at the risk of getting in trouble, here's what I had pre work out this morning ( and I know it's not recommended) - banana, apricot and almond butter. I used to have bagel honey and almond butter before, and this feels better. But it sounds like I should be having fat and a hard boiled egg. Sounds icky but maybe I'll try that for tomorrows workout. 

So yesterday I did a workout that usually has me exhausted by bedtime. Yesterday I could barely feel I had worked out. Wow, like you say Maniacmom, non scale victory - a big one. I row and want to really improve my stamina and strength, this shows potential. I have been having slight lightheadedness which the other day seemed related to hydration and salt which nipped it in the bud. Today, I'm not sure as I've been drinking a lot of water and trying to get my salt. Thoughts?

Keep up the good work!

So the reason that we don't want you giving the body sugar before a workout is because it gives your body easy access to fuel... which means it won't burn your body fat - if you don't want to eat before hand, you don't HAVE to eat a preworkout meal, altho we do suggest you try... depending on when you workout, you can try working out fasted, you can use your previous meal as your preworkout, but don't skip the post workout meal.  It doesn't have to be a hardboiled egg... a few bites of leftover protein and a blob of mayo or some guacamole or a spoon of sundried tomato in olive oil... just has to be protein and fat - chicken dipped in pesto etc... I'm positive you can find something that sounds appealing :)

Archived