On Day 13 and feeling worse than ever

I started this journey 100 pounds overweight.  I know I have spent many years doing this to my body so it will take a long time to get it right.  I am just concerned because my timeline seems to be different from others and I wanted to know if this was because I was so overweight to begin with.  Should I plan on having to do more than 30 days?

• Administrators

Hi @Jenn22 - Could you give more detail on "worse than ever"? What's worse? Chronic conditions flaring up? New ailments? Digestion? Energy? Mood? Sleep?

It's hard to say anything really, without some detailed information beyond your starting weight. Include what you've been eating, how you've been sleeping, exercise, water consumption, stress, underlying medical conditions etc and we'll see if anything stands out.

I have horrible headaches and my feet which I think have tendonitis are so sore.  I am struggling to get up in the morning because my feet hurt so bad.  I have been sticking closely to the meal template and have made almost all of my food myself at home.  My sleeping has been better, but I am still struggling to fall asleep.  My stress level is the best it could be at this point and I am a pretty decent water drinker.  I am in remission for Lyme's disease and have been for 9 years.

• Moderators

If you have underlying medical issues it can take longer to see results.

For the sleep, try having a serving of starchy vegetable  (like sweet potato, potato, root vegetables, or winter squashes) with your last meal of the day, and be sure you're following good sleep hygiene habits:  http://whole9life.com/2015/04/mental-health-sleep-1/

If you want more feedback on your meals, you'd have to give more detail. Are you eating at least 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein (or if eggs are your only protein, as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand); 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat, or a half to a whole avocado, or a heaping handful or two of olives or coconut flakes, or half a can of full fat coconut milk, or a closed handful of nuts or seeds; and a plate full of vegetables?

If that's what your meals look like, and you're drinking plenty of water (1/2 oz per pound of body weight, so if you weigh 120 lbs, at least 60 oz), and you're salting your food to taste, but you're still having headaches and pain, there are really three possibilities I can think of. 1) you're only 13 days into this and may just need more time, 2) there's some underlying cause that food can't completely fix, or 3) there is something you're eating that's completely compliant, but isn't good for you personally. If it were me, unless the pain is unbearable, I would probably hang in there for a little while longer and see if things improve. If it's unbearable, you might want to talk to a doctor about it. Either way, I would keep a food log and also track pain and see if there's a pattern to it to try to narrow down any foods that might be affecting things. 

Archived