Will you help me think outside the box?

hahuston

We're 16 days into our first Whole30 with our kids. They are pretty picky to begin with, but now I'm getting concerned. I know they won't starve themselves, but still I'm concerned. I'm consoling myself with the fact that we're over half way through.

They don't eat near enough meat and they never have eaten a lot of meat. The kids like to dip their meat in homemade marinara sauce as a substitute for ketchup but they're hungry 20 minutes after each meal. They don't like olive oil, coconut oil, ghee, avocados or olives. Paul will eat sunflower seeds and cashews, but no other nuts. Rachel will not eat nuts. Between the 4 of us, we've gone through at least 7 dozen eggs during the last 16 days. Both will eat loads of fruit but few veggies.

So, what other fat sources should I consider? I've read the other threads in the Kids' Whole30 forum but I still need some more suggestions.

Thank you!

What about home made mayo? You can flavour it in all sorts of different ways. Also what about coconut milk or cream?.They may not like coconut oil but if thry had some of the milk over fruit would they take it that way? Or what about nut butters? I love apple slices dipped in almond butter or bananas spread with almond butter and wrapped in lettuce leaves. I've been trying to avoid things like that W30 but I imagine they'd be fine for kids. Good luck

and kb0246's suggestion is spot on. I can eat 1/2 a jar of almond butter if I'm not careful. It's a lot like peanut butter and throwing it on some apples or bananas might be a good option. It also tastes good on a spoon.

I'm sorry. It was late when I typed that out and I didn't include a few things including coconut milk, almond milk, nut butters (except for peanut butter-they love that).

I haven't made homemade mayo yet. I'll try that. Maybe they'll like it as a dip.

I add lemon juice and cinnamon to mayo to make a fruit dip, or turn it into homemade ranch for my kiddos.

That said, you may just have to "strongly encourage them", the way us mom's do, to expand their food horizons.

Lol! I like how you put that, "strongly encourage". There is a LOT of that in our house. :-)

Archived