Carla's Whole 30 - 2 round

Carlaccini

Hello Everyone!

It's been a month and a bit since my last whole 30 (finished Oct 1st) and since things have slid a wee bit I thought I would do another one just before Christmas. I have a reoccuring sugar dragon that finally won out about 10 days after my Whole 30 completion. I didn't work on the proper re-introduction as I knew I had dairy issues before, and gluten issues, and I just wasn't interested in legumes or alcohol. I basically just was following the whole 30 rules up until I ran into that I simply couldn't turn down. I also love to bake so I paleofied a few favourites. I think this is what lead to my ultimate demise. But that's okay. I know what I need to do.

So starting tomorrow I am starting a brand new whole 30. I am trying to get myself excited about this round, but I'm feeling a bit meh at the moment. I mean l loved the way I felt, the energy I had, and especially how my clothes got looser!

So here it goes!

Cheers,

Carla

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw your post about maple syrup! My sugar dragon can be pretty fierce too :wacko: but I'm a week through and no craving! When I have strict guidelines, I feel like I can control much better my cravings. I'm also kind of scared to reintroduce foods after my Whole30. I KNOW I'm better off without sugar but it's soooo gooooooooood!

Good luck with your second W30! I hope you'll learn new things about yourself and food that you didn't learn the first time. When I want to get excited, I like to browse recipes I can have on Pinterest and Chow Stalker, for example!

Yeah I can say I was kind of scared of the re-intro too! I mean I felt soooo good! I think that's why I delayed it. Initially when I introduced sugar it was okay. It was - cool. I can handle this. And then as the weeks wore on, it got a little out of control again. Nothing what it was before, but it was where I didn't feel comfortable with. So hence why I decided to jump on the whole 30 again.

I mean I am feeling it a bit more than I was earlier today when I posted this. But last time it was more of trying to prove the point to my BF that I could do this, then it is now. Now obviously I've done one, so my point has already been made. So hence why I'm feeling a wee bit meh, over the whole thing. I keep on finding excuses to put it off.

Good for you Bratdoll! You have gotten over the first very tough hurdle. There will be more to come, but you are doing something very good for your body. And you get to eat all this very excellent food that makes you feel better!

I had started the whole 30 for 3 main reasons - rid myself of 3 day, once maybe twice a month migraines, to feel better, and to lose weight. Here is what I accomplished after my first whole 30.

Better sleep (that didn't come until day 22 or 23)

Clearer skin (I have rosacea and it completely cleared up - now it is back again)

My neck and shoulders do not bother me any more

My bad knee didn't bother me - even during/after workouts

This next one is a little TMI but it's such a big one for me - No more severe chaffing under my breasts, or boils on my butt. (Very uncomfortable)

My nails are harder - they were like paper before and would easily shred

I lost 8 lbs during, another 3 lbs after, and 6lbs prior from just going dairy free. I am still averaging about a pound a week. (Although these last 2 weeks I don't know) I have still another 40+ lbs to lose before getting in an area that I will be comfortable with.

I have amazing energy levels.

I am no longer tired or depressed (also another big one)

My hair was starting to fall out in clumps, plus was showing signs of psorasis. Now it's nice and shiny and healthy.

I have not felt this good in my ENTIRE life! And I am 36 yo.

BEST OF ALL - migraines have disapated. The month post whole 30 I did not get one, and just recently I had 6 hr one that down graded to a low grade headache. (Migraines put me in bed for at least 2 days - low grade headaches are still a pain but much more tolerable.)

What I've learned to stay away from - Dairy is my big one. This was the cause for my boils. Gluten I suspect is partially responsible for the migraines. Sugar - well that one is just an addictive substance that one should stay on very limited terms with. It is also the cause of the chaffing. It didn't come back post whole 30 - and I never want it to again. Far too painful and it left me in agony most days. I remember these things to keep me on track.

So welcome day 1!

Started off the day with Well Fed's Egg Foo Yong, and 4 pieces of pinapple

Lunch is left over broccoli & arugala soup, Egg plant strata, a handfull of olives, and an apple.

Dinner is halibut and creamed spinach

I am a little nervous as I am going over to a friends house tonight and generally we go out for beers. So I will have to play it cool with water.

Good for you for doing another whole30 when you know it's what you need now! Reading through your list of "benefits" I am just amazed at how our food can screw us over--and no one, outside these circles I mean, no one in the "real world" it seems, has a clue. It's really just amazing that our diet can heal us.

You hit the nail on the head Alana. I get to hear way too many times - I could never give up ----such and such. And in my head my little voice says - you could give it up - but you just don't WANT to! Thankfully I was in the best head space to take this on. I mean two years ago this was me!

Gaaaarrgh! Sorry. Just a little annoyed with myself. I'm a little under prepared for this. I should know better. Last night went over to friends house. I haven't seen them in months. Normal thing to do when I arrive is to pull up a chair, and grab a beer. This time I told myself I would turn it down and ask for water. When I arrived, I found out they had went to the store and only picked up one of my favourite brands of beer just because I was coming over. Insert feeling of guilt here. Now I know there isn't anything special about beer or whatever, but I hardly. ever. drink. So to me this was a very sweet and special gesture on their behalf. I decided to enjoy it and start day one again today. Except this morning was a complete disaster, slept in (because of a lousy night sleep, thank you alcohol!), no time for meal 1, no time to put togther lunch except grab a can of tuna, apple and some olives and rush out the door. Come into the office and someone brought in muffins. Being so disatrously hungry (my own fault) I had one. Okay I own up to this. I will start day 1 at meal 2. Again. Decided to go pick up a store bought salad to go along with my tuna. I have an emergency back up for salad dressing. This will be no problem. Get my store bought salad back to the office, pop open the lid only to find grated cheese hiding under things. Blah. Pick off the cheese to the best of my ability and eat.

Okay so maybe tomorrow is day one again? Okay...... I can do this. I can really, really do this.

You hit the nail on the head Alana. I get to hear way too many times - I could never give up ----such and such. And in my head my little voice says - you could give it up - but you just don't WANT to! Thankfully I was in the best head space to take this on. I mean two years ago this was me!

What I read in a paleo book that comes to mind when I read this was "Beating cancer is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard."

That is a fact. I try to think of this when a little devil pops up on my shoulder and says "oh, but you LOVE pizza!" or some other rude comment *lol*

It's not that I say I cannot give up espresso, I don't want to. With that, I have a choice to make: continue drinking espresso how I used to love it (keyword I say to myself: "used") with half and half and splenda, or make a sacrifice to still be able to enjoy what I really like, which is replacing the dairy devil with uber-healthy coconut milk and eliminate the chemically splenda aka sugar altogether.

I know some would argue that coffee is that one thing I should give up for my whole30, or the thought I'm 'still doing the same drug by a different name,' but I also think this: I gave up all grains, dairy, legumes, unhealthy junk crap and garbage. I still want my coffee. But I digress.

This Whole30 is not hard if your way of thinking is altered a little :)

Hi Bratdoll.

Can totally get behind your comment. It is also my choice to continue drink coffee/espresso. But it is also within my control to limit myself to limit myself to only 1 a day. But I love my morning coffee.

I keep on telling people that this choice is not hard. And it isn't. Once you change your point of view of what you can't have, and all the beautiful food you CAN have. It stops being hard. A lot of orgainization? yes. But hard. No. This morning is a prime example when I am not organized. I fall apart. And I hate that. But those were my choices. My somewhat bad choices - but nevertheless my choices.

A friend of mine asked me post my first 30 if I really missed anything - for example: dessert, pop, chips etc. You know all the bad food choices we make. My response was - it depends on the day, but I sort of miss certain foods, but I don't miss what they do to me. I miss cheese sometimes, I don't miss pop at all, I miss my homemade chocolate chip cookies sometimes. But overall I don't really miss them. I consider them old friends that I *may* visit them from time to time.

I think many of us are such social eaters that we feel left out when we don't partake, as opposed to actually wanting the actual food.

Well, weekend's coming and, for me, it's easier to stay on track. We don't really have anything non-compliant at our place (or it's hidden on the top shelf of the pantry), so I'm less tempted. There's always something sugary at work, thankfully, no one insists that I have "just one chocolate". My bf and I are doing W30, so we are mutually supportive. Also, weekend means time to preprare some dishes for the week!

As for me, I love coffee with cream and stevia, but I don't like it black. So Ijust drink herbal tea in the morning. I don't need coffee or caffeine, I just like something hot to drink with my breakfast.

Hold on tight, I'm sure next week will be a good one!

Well next week will definitely be better as I will be at home. This week I was in Toronto (I work for a Toronto based company in Montreal) and every so often I am expected to join the sales force in Toronto. I generally stay with my mom. But it definitely makes it harder as she has a lot of non-compliant food around. And although she understands why I am doing this, and she encourages me to keep on it as she has seen all the benefits for herself, but she doesn't really get the issues that I have with cookies and muffins sitting all around the house.

I mean they are not junk, they are mostly homemade but they are tempting all the same.

My BF is not doing the Whole 30 with me but he is supporting me in my quest for better health. (He's still a little anti-egg though)

Oh yeah, baked goods... I had a two-day long meeting that ended this afternoon. It was held at the Institut du tourisme et de l'hôtellerie du Québec, and there was freshly baked croissants each morning in the conference room...

I pretty much got my mom on board with Paleo (I had her read Primal Body Primal Mind, and since, she's a believer, especially after loosing almost 20 pounds!) so when I spend weekends with her, it's not difficult. She'll even volunteer to cook me breakfast :)

Why is your boyfriend anti-egg? Because of the cholesterol? ;)

Ahhhh Coissants. I love the smell of them, but never really enjoyed eating them. Unless of course they were warm and slathered in butter!

My mom understands my choices, but she's not convinced that gluten and everything will affect her. I mean she is still trying to convince me that her home made muffins are "health food". Do I conceed that they are much better than store bought. Yes absolutely! But just because they are made at home, with whole grain goodness does not make them a health food choice for me and possibly other people.

And since my mom is not much of a cook, I usually land cooking all of my own food.(I like it better this way too, as I like cooking) Sometimes she likes it, but most of the time she doesn't. I have actually found her to be a very picky eater.

Yeah the ani-egg stand is because he suffers from high cholesterol and is presently taking statin drugs. It is a genetic problem. He has always believed that eggs (and so has half of NA) that eggs cause your cholesterol to be high. I have always been indifferent to eggs, and have niether belived, nor dis-believed those claims. I mean prior to It Starts with Food I have never read any articles to say otherwise but it never really sat well with me either. But the fights he put up with me on the eggs is just comical sometimes. I am actually looking forward to getting my annual check up done which says otherwise and it will hopefully change his stance on the eggs.

This weekend was actually very good. I was 100% compliant with no slip ups. Once I'm in the"zone" so to speak things become easier. For now I'm just tired......zzzzzzzzz

Today I am just very tired. Just want to clear off my desk and sleep. It surprises me still as I am sleeping a full 8+ hours and could still live with another 6......

1st time around I was craving red meat and bacon, now it is all things peanut butter! Yikes!

So day 4 is in the can. Here's what on the menu for today

Pre-workout meal - 1 egg-spinach-pumpkin "muffin"

Post workout meal - 3 egg-spinach-pumpkin "muffins", spaghetti Squash with some melted coconut butter (soooooo yummy)

Meal 2 - Beef and Cabbage soup, 10 olives, apple

Meal 3 - Well Fed's Eggplant Strata

Going to a movie premier tonight so made myself a little snack of spiced coconut chips, pumpkin seeds, cocoa nibs and rasins in the place of popcorn.

Today energy levels are much better. My rosacea is showing signs of clearing, Albeit slowly.....

Meal 1: 2 spinach-pumpkin egg muffins with half a sweet potato with coconut butter

Meal 2 Remnants of the Beef and Cabbage soup, salad with sunbuttery-thai salad dressing, a pear

Meal 3 Fish and steamed broccoli. Probably a spoonful or two of homemade mayo.

Weekend was good. Did a big cook off yesterday to prepare for the week. Here comes day 10.

Meal 1 - Spinach, onion, and sundried tomato omelete, handful of strawberries

Meal 2 - Salad with grilled chicken, madarins and almonds, baby carrots and sunbutter, apple

Meal 3 - Sweet N sour pork with Rapini. Sweet N sour pork Marinade is super easy (1/3 cup of each - Dijon Mustard, coconut aminos, and apple sauce. I even threw in some home made bbq sauce)

Some Happy News. Yesterday I was cleaning out my closest - because it was due. I was holding onto somethings, that I really shouldn't be. I tried on a pair of pants that I haven't been able to get on in about 7 years! And they fit!!!! They are a bit snug, but that I got them on and did them up without any big problems was great! I tried them on after my last whole 30 and they didn't fit yet. and I could have sworn that I haven't had any great body changes since then. But this (for me) is huge!

Carla, I've meant to ask you: where do you get your coconut aminos? I bought a bottle a couple of months ago in a health food store on the south shore, but now they're telling me they've stopped carrying the product :o I was thinking maybe Rachel-Berri?

And big big congrats for your early results!

Thanks!

I mainly buy my coconut aminos from an online store called upaya naturals. (Ship out of Barrie, ON). Shipping is free if you buy over $100. However as much as I might want to, I cannot justify buying $100 in coconut products in one sitting. Although they sell plenty of other lovely stuff. I have tried Bio-Terre - I was told that they were out of stock that time. Sigh. But they suggested I always call ahead as they usuall have stock. They do have then Pure wraps though, which I was quite excited about.

What we could do for Upaya Naturals is we both put an order together so we can get the free shipping. Then we could possibly meet for coffee somewhere and do an exchange. Just a thought.

Today's eats are

Meal 1: Blueberry sausages & Spiced Carrot Souffle (both recipes from Stuff I make my Husband) & handful of strawberries.

Meal 2: Beef and Cabbage soup, carrots & a bit of sunbutter, apple

Meal 3 - Pad Thai (I am sooooo looking forward to this!)

Slept sooooo badly last night. I blame the afternoon coffee that I skipped in the morning and chose to have one in the afternoon. I will see how I survive the day on only 4 hours sleep..... Booo. I might have to skip my painting class today just so I can get some reasonable shut eye.........

But here's what today's menu looks like

Meal 1: Blueberry sausages with ketchup, and sour kraut & Spiced Carrot Souffle (both recipes from Stuff I make my Husband) & handful of strawberries.

Meal 2: Salad with mandarin orange slices, pecans and Tuna, SunButtery Thai salad dressing, Carrots, and a apple.

Meal 3: Leftover Pad Thai from yesterday.

Archived