Day 17-tired, no appetite?

Hi All, I am going into day 17 tomorrow. This is my first Whole 30 and I am in my early 30's and am 150 lbs. I came into this with taking PPI's for heartburn and have stopped. I also elimated caffeine/coffee as of today. I tried a digestive enzyme today and have no idea if that works. I used a different brand for three days last week.  I also take fish oil and vitamins. 

For the past week or so, I've had zero energy and have been so tired all the time. I have very restless sleep but I am taking natural calm before bed. The positive is I've had zero stomach aches and my clothes fit better. I'm also reading labels and really becoming aware of what's in my food and realizing I do have to cook and meal prep! 

Downside: Zero appetite. Headache/fatigue. Heartburn. Any ideas about the appetite? I have to force myself to eat. Does anyone know why I may not be hungry? I'm thinking the fatigue comes from not eating enough.

My goal for this whole 30 was better health and feeling good!   

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Writer1428 said:

Hi All, I am going into day 17 tomorrow. This is my first Whole 30 and I am in my early 30's and am 150 lbs. I came into this with taking PPI's for heartburn and have stopped. I also elimated caffeine/coffee as of today. I tried a digestive enzyme today and have no idea if that works. I used a different brand for three days last week.  I also take fish oil and vitamins. 

For the past week or so, I've had zero energy and have been so tired all the time. I have very restless sleep but I am taking natural calm before bed. The positive is I've had zero stomach aches and my clothes fit better. I'm also reading labels and really becoming aware of what's in my food and realizing I do have to cook and meal prep! 

Downside: Zero appetite. Headache/fatigue. Heartburn. Any ideas about the appetite? I have to force myself to eat. Does anyone know why I may not be hungry? I'm thinking the fatigue comes from not eating enough.

My goal for this whole 30 was better health and feeling good!  

Hey there, sorry you're not feeling well!  So without knowing what you've been eating, it's impossible to say.... based on my experience with these types of posts, I"ll say that it's probably that you're not eating enough and not eating enough can actually reduce your appetite... it would also explain the lack of energy and sleep troubles.

Go ahead and write out in detail what you've been eating including portion sizes related to the template (oz or grams don't mean anything to us), specific veggies, fruit, fat and protien, workouts, pre and post workout meals etc... the more info the better.

After looking at what I ate, I don't believe I am eating enough which is due to a lack of appetite. 

My workouts are just light yoga or walking.  

Supplements include: multivitamin, fish oil, vit d, natural calm and was testing out a digestive enzyme (didn't take today). Also prescription medication for allergies and asthma  

Day 14:

-breakfast: chicken hash (I cup?) scoop of chia seeds with full fat coconut milk 

Iced coffee 

-lunch: I can't remember!!

-dinner:  russet baking potato with sloppy joe mix (ground beef, tomatoes, dates, pepper) about a cup of the mix 

Day 15: 

-breakfast: half of cup chicken hash (sweet potatoes, walnuts, apple, chicken), two (2.5 x3) spinach egg bake with onion, carrot and jicama and little ghee, scoop of chia seeds with coconut milk. 

-Iced Coffee 

-lunch: russet baking potato with sloppy joe mix (ground beef, tomatoes, dates, pepper) about a cup of the mix 

-dinner: (wasn't feeling good but tried to eat) banana and two handfuls of baby carrots w/almond butter (two tbs) and then about 8 oz almond milk. 

Ginger turmeric tea 

Natural Calm drink

Didn't count water. 

Day 16:

-breakfast: (late start) banana, Lara bar, kombucha (8 oz)

-lunch- one can tuna with avocado mayo 

-dinner- twice stuffed large sweet potato (inside: one Italian chicken sausage, as well as a mixture of sun-dried tomatoes and onion) and about 1/3 cup raw sauerkraut  

Ginger Tea (10 oz)

Natural Calm Drink (8 oz)

Approx 25 oz water 

Day 17: (trying to eat more!!) 

Breakfast: one cup or so hash (apple, butternut squash, onions, bacon) with two scrambled eggs and some kombucha 

Lunch: a serving of the Italian wedding soup from Whole 30 cookbook. (Added a banana too!)

• Moderators

You're right, you're not eating enough... 

Not eating begets a low appetite begets not eating... etc etc...

The chia seed pudding thing is not recommended, it's high in omega 6 due to the seeds... seeds and nuts are recommended to be limited... think maybe once or twice a week and a serving is small!

I've put notes in your post in red...I would recommend you skip the fruit, switch it for veggies and try and get those meals up to template... leave off the fruit, nuts, seeds, larabars etc... 

16 minutes ago, Writer1428 said:

After looking at what I ate, I don't believe I am eating enough which is due to a lack of appetite. 

My workouts are just light yoga or walking.  

Supplements include: multivitamin, fish oil, vit d, natural calm and was testing out a digestive enzyme (didn't take today). Also prescription medication for allergies and asthma  

Day 14:

-breakfast: chicken hash (I cup?) scoop of chia seeds with full fat coconut milk  Protein is asked to be 1-2 palms (your own palm width x thickness x length) and a plate FULL of veggies

Iced coffee 

-lunch: I can't remember!!

-dinner:  russet baking potato with sloppy joe mix (ground beef, tomatoes, dates, pepper) about a cup of the mix  where are the rest of your veggies and fat?

Day 15: 

-breakfast: half of cup chicken hash (sweet potatoes, walnuts, apple, chicken), two (2.5 x3) spinach egg bake with onion, carrot and jicama and little ghee, scoop of chia seeds with coconut milk. Veggies? 

-Iced Coffee 

-lunch: russet baking potato with sloppy joe mix (ground beef, tomatoes, dates, pepper) about a cup of the mix more veggies? Where's the fat? 

-dinner: (wasn't feeling good but tried to eat) banana and two handfuls of baby carrots w/almond butter (two tbs) and then about 8 oz almond milk. 

Ginger turmeric tea 

Natural Calm drink

Didn't count water. 

Day 16:

-breakfast: (late start) banana, Lara bar, kombucha (8 oz) Regardless of the late start, this is not going to get your day off to a great start... larabar is for emergencies only, which breakfast is not one...

-lunch- one can tuna with avocado mayo Veggies??

-dinner- twice stuffed large sweet potato (inside: one Italian chicken sausage, as well as a mixture of sun-dried tomatoes and onion) and about 1/3 cup raw sauerkraut  

Ginger Tea (10 oz)

Natural Calm Drink (8 oz)

Approx 25 oz water 

Day 17: (trying to eat more!!) 

Breakfast: one cup or so hash (apple, butternut squash, onions, bacon) with two scrambled eggs and some kombucha 

Lunch: a serving of the Italian wedding soup from Whole 30 cookbook. (Added a banana too!)

Thank you for your insight! I will skip any fruit and try to add more  veggies to each meal and make sure the protein is a good amount. I hope that eating more and better things will help make me more hungry and then give me more energy! 

A question about fat: does it count as fat if you cook say the sloppy Joe's in ghee or avocado oil? Or do you really reccomend more than that? 

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Writer1428 said:

Thank you for your insight! I will skip any fruit and try to add more  veggies to each meal and make sure the protein is a good amount. I hope that eating more and better things will help make me more hungry and then give me more energy! 

A question about fat: does it count as fat if you cook say the sloppy Joe's in ghee or avocado oil? Or do you really reccomend more than that? 

Not really... consider that you cooked a pound of ground beef in say... a tablespoon of fat.. and then split that into four or six portions... that means your fat per portion is 1/4 tablespoon or less... so negligible... we definitely recommend adding an eating fat (avocado would be good on sloppy joe!) to your meals!

Archived