Whole 30 Melbourne (Down Under) style

melbournegirl

Had it again for lunch at12pm and haven't eaten yet 6 hours later so also filling! I got it via this site under "resources" it was on the foodie.com site, let me know if you can't find it. I used almond meal rather than processing whole almonds because that's what I had. I also added nutritional yeast for some flavour as I can't eat onion or garlic

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all, might be hitting a rocky patch now though. Sitting here on the couch feeling quite exhausted. Had a great nighst sleep and thought I woke up well then BAM " kill all the things" mood hit me. Added in extra extra fat for brekkie, hope that helps. Also my usual yoga class is today thank goodness. I have been pretty lucky so far .. Some people find the first week tough, others the middle, I think I might be the latter. Up till now, only day 3 was a bit more effort than any other. Anyway, bring it on as I am ready!

Day 12

M1 half a grapefruit, chicken, basil and zucchini soup (from foodee) with ghee, coconut flakes and 4 macadamias... Yoga.

M2 carrot, tomato juice, sashimi, soup with ghee and egg yolk, coconut milk. At 130pm! So cool when you are busy and get around to lunch later than usual to not go crazy with 'hunger'

Excited as I found some kale, have been wanting to crisp some for awhile now... Cooked some up and added it to lunch.

Post WO (30 minute slow run lucky i was only aiming for about 3km as felt like running on empty) 4 brazil nuts and some sweet potato chips

Can't believe how physically drained I am now when I exercise, even though I am only doing about a third of what I usually do. My goal over the last few and next few days is to get more sleep not that I have been getting less than 7 but I think I need more than 8 for awhile until I get efficient at burning fat.

M3 yummy yummy lemon almond cauliflower 'rice' from foodee with baked chicken and a salad with seeds and olives. Coconut and olive oil in the rice. At 7pm.

Funny but I don't feel tired at all after the run, just during... Definitely some muscle chemistry adjustment going on... Wonder how long it will last? Oh well I don't have any performance goals to meet or anything so it doesn't matter too much

Day 13

Pre WO (body combat) boiled egg

M1 small steak, spinach, tomato, blueberries, coconut milk

M2 baked chicken, cauliflower rice and salad with olives

M3 chicken and zucchini soup, 5 macadamias, nectarine, boiled egg, spicy kale

M4 plain mince and veggies, 4 brazil nuts, coconut milk (hungry today)!

Day 14, two week mark!

Had lots of energy for my boot camp class today!

Pre WO a handful of walnuts and some coconut chips

M1 chicken zucchini soup and almond cauliflower rice plus an orange

M2 chicken stew, cauliflower rice at 130pm followed by a walk

M3 small steak, boiled egg, olives, salad, walnuts, coconut at 7pm

Still hungry but have run out of food, need to go shopping! Might have to have egg, coconut milk and some coconut flour, a bit swypo but other than blueberries with coconut milk a few times and the above made into a pancake once or twice I have been swypo free!

Felt a bit of the " tiger blood" this morning for the first time! Which is promising as I want to be able to run again feeling light not like concrete! Looking forward to seeing what tomorrows run is like.

Day 15, halfway.. Feels both like it has gone quickly AND that there is still a long way to go.

Improvements - definitely fat loss, probably better sleeping, certainly improved skin

Issues - still some digestive issues, tiredness and less energy for workouts plus variable moods.

Found a few new good recipes, got used to eating dinners for breakfast, able to last 4-5 hours without eating and even when hungry not DRIVEN to eat immediately so can spend time making a proper meal.

Hopes for the second half. Last 5% improvement in skin, digestion settles, remaining fat loss, better sleep, more energy and buzz. Here goes!

M1 mince and veggies with ghee, kale chips with olive oil, 2 brazil nuts, black coffee (celebrating)

Post/Pre WO (pump class then a run an hour later) handful of mixed roasted nuts and two dates.

M2 at 130pm steak and salad with olives

M3 at 630pm tomato juice, coconut flakes, chicken, pupmkin and veggie curry

Got offered to try some chocolate samples in the supermarket today, just said no thanks with a smile on my face.... That's a first!

Thanks Hannah, just finished a one hour run now, had a circuit I planned to do from my house with the option to shorten/extend by 2km depending on how I felt. Was able to easily manage the extra 2 km and didn't feel any muscle fatigue at the start, unlike last time so that's good, especially since i did a pump class a few hours ago too! Just unpacked the shopping and now having a slow lunch, hungry but NOT starving - love it!

Day 16

Pre WO 2 brazil nuts (half hour fast walk)

M1 2 eggs with mince and veggies, coconut oil and chips, coffee

M2 at 130pm left over chicken curry, coconut milk, salad, olives, walnuts and some grapes

Snack some mango, carrot, brazil nuts

M3 hmm dinner at in-laws stay tuned!

Steak, egg, salad, veggies. Passed on dessert including fruit. Hungry when I got home then realised I was missing fat so had brazil nuts and coconut milk. Really starting to want to eat outside of meals but these are cravings even though not specific, rather than real hunger as I certainly couldn't be bothered eating fish and broccoli.

Hello fellow Aussie - I am on Day 15 today - and your comments resonated with me..how being halfway feels like it has gone quickly but still a long way to go. Unlike you, though exercise hasnt been a massive priority - need to prioritise that as much as food.

My results are noticeable but not the ones I was hoping for..sort of like getting the wrong christmas pressie...still happy and all that, but for goodness sakes, I want my clothes to fall off me!!

I used to do the black coffee and two sweeteners - now I have pretty much dropped down to a coffee every second day or so, with coconut milk - if you havent tried it..it is pretty awesome.

Just wanted to pop on and say hello as it is unusual to see many Aussies hanging around here. Paleo seems quite isolating here - people stare at you when the word is mentioned. Looking forward to trying out your paleo restaurant down there when we head to Melbourne for a trip in January - have you tried it?

Hi RVT, thanks for posting :) I also like coconut milk in my coffee! Looks like our numbers are gradually increasing.

I am pretty new to paleo. I used to be vegetarian for about 18 years, then with a wheat intolerance went gluten free for 10 years, then passed the Coeliacs test and had all sorts of problems trying to eat normally, then found out about FODMAPs (in particular legumes, onion and garlic!), did some clinical trials and either developed or detected a milk protein intolerance so then dairy free and low grain for another two years, also tried vegan but with all these still having skin, mood and appetite issues and finally a few months ago started researching paleo! Was having trouble getting a good balance then found this site which i think has the answers for me, not too many nuts or fruits but lots more saturated good fats.

Anyway, you probably didnt want my life history but I have struggled with food problems all my life, wish I had heard about paleo earlier!

I am going online to researchnthe paleo restaurant now! My onion and garlic problem make restaurant eating a bit more difficult though.

Anyway, I reckon we have lots more improvements in store for these next 15 days, just have to keep going.......

Thanks Ayla, where are you up to in your whole9/30 journey?

Okay, day 17...

Raced out the door to join hubby so no Pre WO before half hour run plus 15 mins fast walk.

Post WO pumpkin chips and hazelnuts

M1 not too hungry, tiny piece of steak, boiled egg, broccoli almond "rice"

Post WO (boxing) pumpkin chips and a boiled egg

Slept well and woke up full of energy today and feeling a happy buzz. Already baked some chicken for two later meals, cooked some to have shredded in a soup for lunch and been to the farmers market for fruit and veggies that will last a week and it's only 11am! Off to do some Xmas shopping now.

M2 at 2pm chicken almond zucchini celery soup with ghee, some cherries

Snack carrot,,olives, coconut chips, a few nuts, pumpkin skin.

I seem to get hungry if I have too late a lunch, either that or it's the fruit....

M3 strawberries, pumpkin and coriander soup, coconut milk, baked chicken, avocado and salad ! Really hungry but listening to my body and eating what it needs (I hope)!

Day 18

Pre WO handful of walnuts (hard Pilates class)

M1 strawberries, coconut milk, chicken and zucchini soup

M2 at 1230 baked chicken, brocolli almond rice, salad

Meal/Snack at 6pm (dinner will be after 8pm) pumpkin and coriander soup, pistachios, carrots, a few cherries

M3 beef and veggie stir fry with olive oil, coconut flakes, a few hazelnuts, strawberries, watermelon.

Seem to have overdone the nuts and fruit today... Was feeling hungry, but also a bit bloated now... Hmmm. But I managed to stay away from the cocoa despite thinking about having it repeatedly!

Must try to eat bigger meals tomorrow,,especially the protein component and see if that helps.... Will bake some sweet potato too!

Day 19

Pre WO (boxing) boiled egg

M1 at 8am pineapple, chicken zucchini coconut soup

Felt strong in my yoga class today!

M2 at 12pm veggie soup with beef and egg and coconut oil. Last of the brocolli almond rice

M3 at 6pm pumpkin and vege soup, salad with avocado and olives, sashimi, sweet potato

Hooray, not quite so hungry today.

Ha! Had three different soups today!

Just checking in - did you find that Paleo restaurant??

Sounds like all is going well for you - things with me are also great. I have no cravings (apart from skulling a coconut water most days and then scooping out the flesh - gosh I love those beautiful things

I am having to alter my whole 30 slightly, because I am definitely NOT getting slimmer - in fact, getting a little chunkier in the middle (yes, quite possibly my fave food as mentioned above) - so have cut back portion size, coz I am not giving up the little coconut pleasure

The only discernable differences for me so far are: improved sleep, and the silkiest softest skin I have ever felt.

Really wanted Santa to bring me reduced thighs, but looks like I need to be content with these changes. I noticed that yesterday was my first not really hungry at all day - that is worthy of celebration in my books.

Great job and thanks for posting - always good to hear how others are going with a similar timeline

Hey rvt, you need a thread to keep us in touch with your progress... But you are welcome here anytime! The restaurant is called the palate and it's very popular apparently. Not too far away from me either. I will check it out once the silly season is over!

Hey when I found this site and another similar one I did paleo for a month or two but didn't eat enough protein or fat and over ate on fruit and nuts and stacked on the weight big time. But the excess has gone now with 20 days of following the formula.

As your timeline buddy I am going to give you a dose of reality... I don't think you will get the proper benefits if you don't follow the program the way it has been proven to work. Cutting back portions to compensate for your coconut dragon is a recipe for disaster! Remember , you only have to give thm up for 30 days to allow your body to reset/heal!

I am enjoying silky skin too! AND your Santa present of reduced thighs... Although these are the slowest to change and I still have a way to go before my pants aren't so tight! But it's not Xmas yet either!

Archived