Anyone else feel sick after working out at night?

Gallagme

I've been playing sports and working out for most of my life (I'm 26 and in pretty good shape). I've always had low blood pressure and my blood sugar fluctuates a lot, but there's nothing actually wrong with me. If I workout in the morning either on an empty stomach or with a snack before I feel fine. But, anytime I workout at night -- easy exercise or hard exercise -- I feel nauseous and weak about 30 minutes afterwards. It doesn't go away unless I go to sleep or eat a simple carb like toast and jelly and a rice krispy. Then I feel better. I've tried eating hard boiled eggs and turkey and guacamole based on Whole30 recommendations and it does not work. Does anyone else have this problem? I've had it for years but doctors never find anything wrong with me. Some days I can't make it to the gym in the morning so this frustrates me. Thanks.

23 minutes ago, Gallagme said:

I've been playing sports and working out for most of my life (I'm 26 and in pretty good shape). I've always had low blood pressure and my blood sugar fluctuates a lot, but there's nothing actually wrong with me. If I workout in the morning either on an empty stomach or with a snack before I feel fine. But, anytime I workout at night -- easy exercise or hard exercise -- I feel nauseous and weak about 30 minutes afterwards. It doesn't go away unless I go to sleep or eat a simple carb like toast and jelly and a rice krispy. Then I feel better. I've tried eating hard boiled eggs and turkey and guacamole based on Whole30 recommendations and it does not work. Does anyone else have this problem? I've had it for years but doctors never find anything wrong with me. Some days I can't make it to the gym in the morning so this frustrates me. Thanks.

Hi there! I can relate somewhat to this, @Gallagme. In training for marathons I noticed that my stomach didn't tolerate evening training runs as well as morning runs. It didn't happen every time, but there were several times the nausea got me after I finished my evening runs, regardless of how I ate earlier in the day. My fix for it at that time (pre-Whole30) was fig newtons. Same idea as toast and jelly. More recently I've used dried apricots for long-distance recovery fuel, and that worked too, but I was between rounds of Whole30, and I don't think those are compliant because of sulfites, and of course they are loaded with sugar.

Great topic... I'm interested in what our other Whole30 homies have to say about this too!

I just ran a half marathon a few months ago (the race started in the morning) and I felt fine afterwards. But two nights ago I did a 20 min jog then 20 min walk at 6pm and felt  terrible. You'd think a 13 mile run would be more nauseating than two miles, but it was just the time of day. So strange.

3 minutes ago, Gallagme said:

I just ran a half marathon a few months ago (the race started in the morning) and I felt fine afterwards. But two nights ago I did a 20 min jog then 20 min walk at 6pm and felt  terrible. You'd think a 13 mile run would be more nauseating than two miles, but it was just the time of day. So strange.

I understand this completely. It defies logic! 

gallagame, I don't usually work out in the evening but I do  have experience in the past with doing 2-a-day workouts while training for triathlons. I was not on whole30 during that time, but I remember it being very important to stay well hydrated during the day and make sure that I had a healthy, high energy snack about an hour before my workout in the evening. I'm not sure what type of job you have and how stressed you are during your day, but your stress and daily activity  should be taken into consideration in planning for your evening work out. You may need to hydrate with something like coconut water or a whole30 compliant fluid before and  DURING your evening workout as well. Hope things get better.

Archived