Reintroducing condiments

Kelleen

My husband and I are planning our reintroduction phase and are wondering about condiments: things like ketchup,  balsamic vinegarette, honey,  maple syrup,  etc. If a dressing has soy lethicin,  do we need to wait until legume day,  or can we use it on Day 31 even if we're not reintroducing legumes until later?  Thanks

• Moderators

You're supposed to stay strictly Whole30 on days when you're not doing reintroductions, so you should only use that dressing on legume day.

Sugar, honey, or maple syrup may show up in other reintroduced foods rather than having a specific "sugar day" during reintroductions, and that's okay. For most people, what they're going to notice from sugar or sweeteners will be increased cravings for other sweets or possibly an effect on their mood (more anxious or moody, for instance), not so much physical effects like digestive issues or skin issues. If you're doing the regular reintroductions, you still want to leave them out on the days between reintroductions. If you're doing more of a slow roll reintroduction, you may decide that a little sugar in sausage or bacon or ketchup that would otherwise be compliant is okay to have sometimes.

• 5 months later...

Hi! I’m a little confused on how reintroducing condiments works, like mayo & ketchup. Those are really the only two condiments I would use (since I like olive oil for dressings). Does there need to be a separate reintroduction for those two things? For example, I already reintroduced wine. Four days later- dairy, four days later- GF grains, and so on. So after reintroducing GF grains, should I have two servings of mayo and ketchup, then wait another four days for legumes? Or are the additives in the ingredients so minor that it’s not something that needs to be reintroduced separately?

Im allergic to avocados so I couldn’t/can’t use the Whole30 condiments so I have to use the regular stuff.

Also, does lunch meat need to be a separate introduction too because of the nitrates and additives? 

Thansk for your help!

-Madison

4 hours ago, Mdh121 said:

mayo & ketchup

This would very much depend on the ingredients in both. If the mayo contains soy for instance you could include it as a part of your legume day...

Nitrates are not excluded for Whole30. Sulphates/Sulphites are and are also a known allergen so they could warrant a reintro of their own.

Archived