Anyone Starting the Day After Thanksgiving?!

Rebecca30

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We hosted a Hanukkah party last night and I ate root veggie latkes, borscht, and home-made coconut yogurt for the sour cream. All good! I have an out of town trip coming up and I'm a little worried about how that's going to go, but I'm sure I'll find a way to make it work.

Hey all! I've been doing pretty well, although a little concerned about the "off-roading" recently. I have no problem, as a former vegan, being picky at restaurants - but the list is actually WAY longer and harder to enforce this time around! I'm not sure if I've been able to be 100% when not making the food myself, but I've certainly tried. I'm on my second business trip this week, and this time don't have a kitchenette in my hotel room, so that'll be a new challenge to navigate.

Oddly, in the final week, I'm finding this more challenging than the first three! I think I'm feeling a little bored, which is my own fault, and I need to spend some more time with interesting recipes. Certainly not loving how every foody blog or Facebook group I follow has been posting nothing but holiday goodies recently, even when the point is to be healthy! I don't care what way you slice it, cookies galore are NOT healthful!

Anyhow, I'm still sticking with it and feeling pretty good. Drinking some decaf coffee right now, and still loving the crap out of the fact that I'm able to drink coffee again. Starting to wonder if perhaps I have a magnesium deficiency, as I'm still having a lot of trouble sleeping at night.

So happy to hear you're all doing so well!

Glad I dropped in to see others are a bit restless also. Originally, I had considered a Whole45, but this week has had me reconsidering. I want to reintroduce a few things over time, carefully to honestly see how I do with those things.

Challenges:

• desire for xylitol gum (which I obviously did need since a gum/tooth did give me trouble, but I didn't use gum anyway.)
  • wanting to weigh a few times (but didn't)
  • kidneys got upset and now won't let me have AM tea, also made me pretty sick for a few days (not sure WHY)
  • I did not make as many new recipes as I had put on my goal sheet-I order Premade Paleo which made this a breeze-still have almost 3 weeks of meals.
  • pistachios also began to make me feel bad in the digesiton department. (thus, nix those nuts)
  • not being a food "Nazi" to tohers' about their food choices. (this was mostly in my head but unpleasant all the same)

Victories:

• lots of social situations went smoothly
  • no cravings, except gum
  • served 20+ folks pecan pie and ice cream without a molecule crossing my lips. Last night, filled cupcake tins without any stray batter winding up near my face-LOL.
  • BIG change in outlook on nourishing myself and what consitutes deeply satisfying food for my body (not mouth food!)
  • a few others have started a Whole30 due to my being on the program. (yay!)
  • my household is eating more healthily!!!

HUGS to all on Day 27.

Sounds like over all you are doing great! I think everyone has a tiny but of emotional funkiness and bordom at one point or another on this program. I am going to start another on January 2nd I think...Maybe some others will come along for the ride once they see my results!

Wow! I slept so restfully last night. I'm so pleased.

Results, as many as I can detail right now:

1. Continuing improvement in mental clarity

2. Continuing improvement in emotional stability

3. I faced down two stressful situations that would have sent me heading for caffeine and then laid me flat, and I'm still healthy and still functioning and I am able to think, feel, and move without complete paralysis.

4. I started my first Whole30 back at the end of Sept. weighing 127.4 lbs. (I'm 5'2 1/2" and quite small framed, and most of my adult life I've been about 113-115, so this was a lot of extra weight for me to carry) After the first Whole30 I was down to 121.6. This morning I was down to 115.6. I had no idea that much more had come off.

5. I know that it's not just weight, it's years and years of damage coming undone and literally dissolving from my body. I know that it is not just weight, too, because though I haven't been back to the doc to confirm this, I'm pretty sure my blood pressure is stable (one of the problems I was having, other than high BP, was blood pressure spikes at random times).

6. No heartburn at all except for a couple of days during the most intense part of the stress.

7. I can sing like nobody's business. It's insane what my voice can do when I feed it well.

I'm off to the store to get supplies to bake some cakes - which I will deliver to friends this afternoon. I look forward to diving into some sugar and butter and flour, but without feeling the need to eat it all (or any, really, myself - though I may sneak a taste of the cream cheese frosting!).

I'm happy and smiling as I wake up, rested, knowing that in particular I've weathered some extreme stress in my life and actually improved my health and my mental outlook in the process. It's amazing.

Good for you, Amy! You always have the best posts!

I feel pretty darn good too! My chronic back and neck pain are gone, my random asthma like episodes are gone and the out of nowhere palpitations are history. I am down around 12 pounds so I don't have to buy new pants! (they were getting tight and I should have bought the next bigger size) Also, I have started yoga regularly! I am already planning my next Whole30. I just prefer eating this way.

Good for you, Amy! You always have the best posts!

I feel pretty darn good too! My chronic back and neck pain are gone, my random asthma like episodes are gone and the out of nowhere palpitations are history. I am down around 12 pounds so I don't have to buy new pants! (they were getting tight and I should have bought the next bigger size) Also, I have started yoga regularly! I am already planning my next Whole30. I just prefer eating this way.

Oh yeah! No more heart palpitations! That's right! Also, I can walk the dog and wear her out, and I'm good to go for the day.

For me, the clothes thing is a bit trickier. I had some clothes in my closet that I kind of stretched out, ya know? And they're really too big now. Some others just stayed in my closet because I couldn't get them on, and now they fit. And I ordered a bunch of clothes online (knit-type shirts, which are usually easy for me to fit) and they were ALL too big!!! So I'm not sure what's happening but my body is doing some major shifting. I think I'll wait to do big clothing purchases (err, smaller clothing purchases I suppose) until I give the exercise portion of events a bit longer to take effect. I really didn't start this Whole30 thing out with any workout goals AT ALL, but I'm finding that I simply MUST exercise in order to use up all this energy!!!!!

Report on Day 1 after my second Whole30. Well, I had a Starbucks and I also had cream cheese and a tortilla. It's been 24 hours and I am still feeling the effects of the Starbucks (decaf and all!!). And the cream cheese and tortilla gave me a stomach ache. Also, none of it tasted especially good. I think I just do not especially like the things I thought I really liked before. And I think those things really very much do not like me at all. I remember reading Tom Denham saying that he does not have immediate reactions to any particular food, and I figured I'd be the same way simply because I don't have any particular health issues like allergies or gut issues that would necessarily flare up from a bite of this or that. WRONG. I was jittery, anxious, tummy hurting, bloated, ankles swelling (that freaky freaky feeling where you can FEEL them swelling and you look down and there they are, swelling!), emotionally less stable, it was incredible how strong the shift felt.

So I'm not officially on another Whole30 until Jan. 2, because I do want to enjoy some family tradition treats on Christmas Day and New Year's Day. But I'm not going to be returning to the junk food that used to be my staple, just because I can right now. It's possible that mentally I can, but physically I just can't. I can't wait until this Starbucks gets out of my system.

Chocolate chili coming up for breakfast!

Hey guys,

Rebecca, Amy, and all the others - great job and congratulations.

For my part, sorry for dropping out early; I learned after two weeks that I needed to plan better and always have good choices available, but I have changed my diet a lot so I'm already grateful for that experience.

Now I enjoyed family Christmas time (for the last time before moving abroad for 2 years) with some treats that are off the list again from Jan 1st but I managed to stick with the overall principles and I feel quite good.

I'm still looking forward to the more thorough cleansing by a whole Whole30 from Jan 1st onwards.

All the best for your 2013!

Archived