Pre- and Post-WO choices for kids

jeepifer

My daughter plays hockey. Her coach sent out a list of "good things to eat before practice" and I wanted to cry. Cereal? You've got to be kidding me! He also is advocating chocolate milk for post-workout.

I need your help... She's 7, so not a huge range of flexibility for snacking. She does like salmon, sardines (messy but good), Tanka bites sometimes. Egg whites (doesn't like the yolks; I can't blame her, I didn't either until I was much older). She also likes sweet potato, banana sometimes, and apples with peanut butter, but I haven't been able to switch her to almond butter. *sigh*

I am looking for two sets of ideas, one for foods about an hour before her hockey practice/games, and one for PWO. She'd probably have to eat it cold on the drive to the ice rink, too.

POST-game, I was debating about chocolate coconut water? She hasn't tried it, but didn't like the plain. She doesn't have any issues with dairy, so I could do the chocolate milk, I suppose.

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm not real up on workout nutrition, proper combos of carbs/protein, etc. So any advice is welcome!

What she's going to want is protein and fat pre-practice - so sardines or Tanka bites are a good choice, tuna with mayo, high quality deli meat and avocado, etc. Afterward, she needs protein and carbs - applegate farms hot dogs, if she'll eat those, cold chicken, again deli meat, those squeezable applesauce packs (even some mixed with veg) - good options all around.

PS: I love to hear about girls playing hockey! I grew up in Bloomington, and we all played at one point or another. Down here in Missouri people are amazed at girls who play hockey ;0)

My Crossfit instructor drinks the chocolate milk post workout too. I have also seen it mentioned on other boards. I just can't seem to imagine being hot and sweaty and then downing a glass of chocolate milk, though I was never much of a milk drinker and can't think of the last time I drank it.

Archived