Can I have acorns? Not the squash, the nut.

Dayofsun

It isn't normally a critical part of of my diet, but my 4 YO son collected a bunch and wants to try cooking them a bunch of different ways. I'd like to humor him and partake in his creations - if I can. It's a nut, right? So I'm thinking it's okay?

8 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Should be fine. I didn't really know they were edible, so I've learned something new today. 

It's generally used like a (gluten free) flour for baking. I made a cake with purchased acorn flour once, and I recall it being much darker than a regular flour cake. Nuttier too, but I could be embellishing, since it was ages ago.

Luckily (i guess?) my son wants to make hummus, so no SWYPO danger of a delicious acorn cake. Maybe we'll try a cake after I reintroduce added sugar (i'm on day 26!).

Thanks for such a quick reply. Wish me luck eating homemade acorn hummus 8(

13 hours ago, QuieroAvocado said:

That sounds really fun! Where I live in Southern California, acorns were a huge part of the Tongva native Americans, an d I've always wanted to try some of the traditional dishes. 

I could be wrong about this, but I believe acorns were a big deal for tribes across north america! I can't understand why we don't eat them more today, especially with so many people seeking gluten-free options...? Like, if Bob's Red Mill sells Kamut, Teff , and Amaranth flours, why not offer acorn flour?  

Archived