Want Cookies!

No I'm not the Cookie Monster but did go on Whole 30 partially to destroy my cookie dragon.  I'm on day 25 of my 2nd round (stopped  the first  after 15 days since I went to my mothers for a week- need I say more?).  I've also had some health problems with fatigue & hives (I think thyroid related).  I've been doing really well & not having many cravings until now.  Due to hives not clearing up I've been exploring (obsessing over) AIP & have stopped eating eggs for breakfast.  Do you think this obsession I'm having (plus lack of my favorite protein in the am) could be causing my return to cravings?

• Administrators

I would more suspect that the cravings are a result of either under-eating overall or incorrectly composed meals.

Give us a rundown on typical days of food including timing, portion sizes related to the template etc

Thanks!  Typical day as follows:

Breakfast 7:00 am:  2 scrambled eggs in olive oil, with handful of kale, 1 -2 piece bacon

lunch 12:00 mason jar filled salad, spinach & arugula with 1 chicken breast, 20 or so raspberries or an apple, handful almonds

snack: 2:30/3:00 apple or handful almonds or bone broth

dinner 7:30:  protein such as hamburger, steak or salmon & veggie, usually asparagus, green beans or sweet potatoes, fills up my dinner plate.

I think you are right.  I replaced my eggs today with bone broth & that just doesn't fill me up.  I'm struggling with the idea of non breakfast food for breakfast & have eaten eggs forever, long before I started whole 30.  Yesterday I had some of my kids leftover sausage but it tasted too processed so I didn't repeat that today.  Really just needed someone to talk me off the cookie ledge.  I've distracted myself & feel better now.

• Administrators

Ok, I'm at work so I'm going to be brief.

First, bone broth is not a complete protein so would not be an appropriate replacement for protein at breakfast. Eggs as a sole protein are as many as you could hold in your hand without dropping; 3-4 as a start for almost everyone. Bacon is more fat than protein so you were shy on that breakfast off the get-go. Breakfast is your foundation meal for the rest of the day, bump up the protein. Kale cooks down to nothing so unless you had 2-3 cups of cooked kale, you were shy there too. Add a sturdier veggie.

Same goes for salad, once chewed, it's next to nothing so unless you had quite a large mason jar stuffed with a bunch of sturdier veggies, you were short on lunch. The fact you are snacking between lunch and dinner is a pretty good indicator you aren't eating enough at meals. If you are going to eat between meals, make it beneficial for your body and go for protein + fat or protein + veggies. Fruit alone or just nuts or the fruit-nut combo people love to do just isn't going to serve you well. Bone broth is a beverage, not food. ;) 

There's a great thread on the forum about eating non-traditional foods for breakfast. Some of the pictures seem not to be linked so I'll get that fixed but in the meantime there might be some inspiration there for you.

Archived