Help please! What questions do I ask?

fairedog

I'm having lunch with my Uncle tomorrow at Hooters, (he loves the wings and I certainly don't mind the atmosphere :). I looked online for their nutritional info and found a grilled chicken salad, however, everything listed on the menu basically says it contains soy and milk due to possible cross-contamination. My question is, is it normal to grill chicken with something that is non-compliant? I'm afraid the chicken may be marinated or brushed with canola oil. I'm planning on calling tomorrow before we go but was hoping you W30 vets out there could let me know what I should be asking about.

If I have to start over I'm not too concerned since tomorrow is only day 3, but I'd rather not if I can help it.

Thanks!

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, fairedog said:

I'm having lunch with my Uncle tomorrow at Hooters, (he loves the wings and I certainly don't mind the atmosphere :). I looked online for their nutritional info and found a grilled chicken salad, however, everything listed on the menu basically says it contains soy and milk due to possible cross-contamination. My question is, is it normal to grill chicken with something that is non-compliant? I'm afraid the chicken may be marinated or brushed with canola oil. I'm planning on calling tomorrow before we go but was hoping you W30 vets out there could let me know what I should be asking about.

If I have to start over I'm not too concerned since tomorrow is only day 3, but I'd rather not if I can help it.

Thanks!

Google 'Whole30 Guide to Dining Out'  Its a pdf of the questions to ask and how to manage at a restaurant but the short answer to your questions is that yes, seemingly all proteins and compliant items can be screwed up at a restaurant.  The thing is, if it's just cross contamination, then you're okay - that's something for people with serious allergies... if they don't cook the chicken in soy but soy is nearby then they have to tell you that, so ask specific questions.  I would also advise eating first before going to a place like that and then whatever you can eat is bonus but you won't be tempted to go flying off the rails because you're starving.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, fairedog said:

Thanks. I've read the pdf but it's so general that it's not really helpful. I guess I'll just have to ask how they grill the chicken and hope the server is correct.

What were you looking for that's more specific?

• Moderators

"Hi, [Waitstaff Name], I'm hoping you can help me. [Big Smile].

"I can't have soy, dairy, sweetener, flour or grains or corn or peas or beans. I'm not allergic, but I need to avoid them. I'm hoping that [menu item] could be prepared without any of those ingredients. If not that [menu item], perhaps there is a salad with steak or chicken that hasn't been marinated or something similar? I really appreciate your help on this." [Big Smile].

Prepare mentally that it will be a burger sans bun, or a salad. Request lemons and olive oil to dress it. Avocado too if they have it.

You can do this!

Thanks everyone. I asked the girl if they could grill the chicken in olive oil instead of butter and she said yes, however, I think they just grilled it with butter like they normally do. At least it tasted more like it had butter on it than olive oil. It was Hooters so I'm not surprised. I asked the girl for balsamic vinegar the first time and she brought me blue cheese. I asked for it again and she brought me Heinz Malt Vinegar, (for fish and chips). The third time she brought me standard vinaigrette so I gave up and ate my salad dry.  

I also took a supplement this morning called CholestOff which is plant sterols that help lower cholesterol, however, it had Soy Lecithin in it so between that and Hooters most likely cooking the chicken in butter I guess I will just start over. At least it's only my third day.... 

• Moderators
On 8/30/2017 at 5:21 PM, fairedog said:

Thanks everyone. I asked the girl if they could grill the chicken in olive oil instead of butter and she said yes, however, I think they just grilled it with butter like they normally do. At least it tasted more like it had butter on it than olive oil. It was Hooters so I'm not surprised. I asked the girl for balsamic vinegar the first time and she brought me blue cheese. I asked for it again and she brought me Heinz Malt Vinegar, (for fish and chips). The third time she brought me standard vinaigrette so I gave up and ate my salad dry.  

I also took a supplement this morning called CholestOff which is plant sterols that help lower cholesterol, however, it had Soy Lecithin in it so between that and Hooters most likely cooking the chicken in butter I guess I will just start over. At least it's only my third day.... 

Eating out is a little bit challenging. It's almost guaranteed that no one but fancy restaurants uses actual butter. It's going to be cheap margarine or seed oils for the most part. Dry grilled is probably the best option. The waitstaff often have no idea about ingredients in the food/preparation methods unless you're eating at a more expensive restaurant.

Good reason to cook for yourself more often and a good excuse to upgrade when you do go out!

• 4 weeks later...

"Eating out is a little bit challenging. It's almost guaranteed that no one but fancy restaurants uses actual butter. It's going to be cheap margarine or seed oils for the most part."--if that's the case, have I been Whole30 compliant if Red Lobster put "butter" on my veggies after I told them not to?

• Moderators
On September 29, 2017 at 9:06 PM, Healthytrena said:

"Eating out is a little bit challenging. It's almost guaranteed that no one but fancy restaurants uses actual butter. It's going to be cheap margarine or seed oils for the most part."--if that's the case, have I been Whole30 compliant if Red Lobster put "butter" on my veggies after I told them not to?

YOu'd have to call them and ask them, we wouldn't know without contacting that particular franchisee.... 

Archived