kirbz

Kirbz's Whole30 Log

ROUND 4, Day 6: Saturday, November 2

Meal 1: three over-easy eggs cooked in leftover bacon fat; served over spiralized sweet potato and russet potato cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and seasoning; 2 slices compliant bacon; glass of orange juice

Exercise (~5 hours): ~8-mile backpacking hike with ~2,500 feet of elevation gain (121 average HR; 179 max HR)

Intra-Workout Snack: pouch of blueberry, pear, and purple carrot baby food

Intra-Workout Meal 2: turkey “sandwich” with three slices turkey, one slice of bacon, ½ avocado, sprouts, and mayo served in butter lettuce leaves; 8 oz of water with compliant electrolyte supplement  

Intra-Workout Snack: pouch of peach, apricot, and banana baby food

Meal 3: turkey “sandwich” with three slices turkey, one slice of bacon, ½ avocado, sprouts, and mayo served in butter lettuce leaves; 8 oz of water with compliant electrolyte supplement  

Meal 4: Wild Zora Caldera Chicken Curry freeze-dried meal with chicken, sweet potato, pineapple, spinach, bell pepper, and onion

Snack: Gaia Herbs Liver Cleanse tea before bed (mostly  because it was really cold) 

Water Intake: ~120 oz 

Steps: 23,288

Symptoms/NSVs:

• strong exercise endurance
  • strong mental commitment

Thoughts/Reflections: Today was the first day of an overnight backpacking trip. The first 2.5 miles was almost 2,000 feet of climbing on a fairly rough trail. While it was hard, I felt reasonably strong doing it. We then continued on for more than five more miles on gently rolling terrain before setting up camp for the night. My feet and legs were tired, but I felt good.

I was happy with the way I ate on this trip. I felt like I ate a lot of food, which is good on a trip like this. And I generally enjoyed it. I liked having a couple of sandwiches as fresh food rather than relying entirely on pre-packaged foods. That was nice. I do get over the freeze-dried backpacking meals pretty quickly.

I did miss my Peanut M&Ms at camp that evening, but I managed just fine. We took photos and played some Yahtzee and then read a book when it got too cold to be outside of the tent. So I didn’t dwell on it too much. But it really is a food ritual for me. When I work that hard, I genuinely enjoy having something sweet and delicious to reward myself. I’ll have to figure out if that’s an indulgence I’d like to keep going forward. I would have also really loved some hot chocolate instead of tea in my tent that evening…  

ROUND 4, Day 7: Sunday, November 3

Meal 1: instant eggs (~2-3 eggs worth); Gaia Herbs Liver Cleanse tea

Exercise (~3 hours, 30 minutes): ~7-mile backpacking hike with ~300 feet of elevation gain (121 average HR; 179 max HR)

Post-Workout Snack: can of coconut water

Meal 2: three over-easy eggs cooked in leftover bacon fat; served over spiralized sweet potato and russet potato cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and seasoning; 2 slices compliant bacon; glass of orange juice

Meal 3: grilled flat iron steak with seasoning; large baked potato with ghee and salt; ~10 asparagus spears cooked in avocado oil with spices; watermelon kombucha

Water Intake: ~100 oz 

Steps: 24,080

Supplements: Natural Calm in a glass of water before bed

Symptoms/NSVs:

• none

Thoughts/Reflections: Well, today we finished off our backpacking trip. The last two miles were torture. My feet hurt. My back hurt. The views weren’t great. I was over it. But, we made it!

I came home and ate a huge meal and had every intention of taking a nap. But… I didn’t. I don’t know if I was restless or if I’m feeling some form of tiger blood (which has never, ever happened to me before), but I couldn’t sleep. I didn't really want to. I was amazed. So I went through my photos, organized my gear, cleaned the dishes, cooked some food, and watched some television.

[Photo 1: at our backcountry campsite] 

LakeAloha.JPG

ROUND 4, Day 8: Monday, November 4

Meal 1: four eggs scrambled in leftover bacon fat with a splash of coconut milk, salt, and pepper; bowl of zucchini bone broth soup  

Meal 2: large bowl of pork vegetable stir fry with carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, bell pepper, snap peas, and onion cooked with Primal Kitchen Classic Marinade

Meal 3: enormous chicken breast grilled with salt, pepper, and BBQ sauce; large bowl of cauliflower bone broth soup; lavender kombucha

Water Intake: ~80 oz 

Steps: 6,327

Symptoms/NSVs:

• none

Thoughts/Reflections: I tried to go to yoga today but there was no parking so I went home. And did nothing. But, honestly, I felt pretty good about that after a big weekend. I'm trying to honor my feelings and intentions, even if they're occasionally lazy. 

ROUND 4, Day 9: Tuesday, November 5

Meal 1: two hard-boiled eggs   

Meal 2: large bowl of pork vegetable stir fry with carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, bell pepper, snap peas, and onion cooked with Primal Kitchen Classic Marinade

Meal 3: grilled sirloin steak; can of sliced potatoes cooked in duck fat; bowl of zucchini bone broth soup

Steps: 8,658

Symptoms/NSVs:

• woke up with a cold sore (I haven’t had one of those in a long time, though I do get them frequently overall)

Thoughts/Reflections: Not much to report today. I’m super disappointed to have a cold sore. I wonder what caused that?  

ROUND 4, Day 10: Wednesday, November 6

Meal 1: none (I stayed in bed and snuggled with Yeti Spaghetti instead of eating; I feel good about my decision)    

Snack: blueberry RxBar and chamomile tea

Meal 2: piece of baked salmon; large bowl of cauliflower soup  

Meal 3: two round steaks cooked in whole tomatoes; large baked potato with ghee and salt

Steps: 7,809

Symptoms/NSVs:

• evening tiredness (I went to bed before 8:00 p.m.)

Thoughts/Reflections: I just realized that some colleagues gave me little Halloween goodie bags last week and I haven’t even bothered to remove them from my desk. Normally, having chocolate right in front of me would be a temptation. But, it’s not… That’s kind of nice.   

ROUND 4, Day 11: Thursday, November 7

Meal 1: none

Snack: chamomile tea with Primal Kitchen collagen peptides

Meal 2: two round steaks cooked in whole tomatoes; large baked potato with ghee and salt

Meal 3: four eggs scrambled in leftover bacon fat with a splash of coconut milk, salt, and pepper; two and a half slices of bacon; bowl of cauliflower bone broth soup.

Water Intake: ~60 oz 

Steps: 8,284

Symptoms/NSVs:

• evening tiredness again (not sure if it’s the time change or not eating enough)

Thoughts/Reflections: Not much to say today.    

ROUND 4, Day 12: Friday, November 8

Meal 1: four eggs scrambled in leftover bacon fat with a splash of coconut milk, salt, and pepper; two slices of bacon; whole sliced cucumber

Movement (40 minutes): neighborhood walk with the pup (flat trail terrain)

Meal 2: five grilled chicken drumsticks with BBQ sauce and seasoning; one small zucchini and summer squash sautéed in avocado oil with seasoning; ¾ avocado

Movement (25 minutes): neighborhood walk with the pup (flat trail terrain)

Meal 3: grilled ribeye steak with seasoning; large baked potato with ghee and salt; handful of grape tomatoes; watermelon kombucha  

Steps: 15,010

Symptoms/NSVs:

• none

Thoughts/Reflections: Just another day… I’m excited for another ladies backpacking trip tomorrow!     

ROUND 4, Day 13: Saturday, November 9

Meal 1: three over-easy eggs cooked in leftover bacon fat; served over spiralized sweet potato and russet potato cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and seasoning; one and a half slices compliant bacon; glass of orange juice

Exercise (5 hours, 26 minutes): 8.74-mile backpacking hike with 1,654 feet of elevation gain (126 average HR; 191 max HR)

Intra-Workout Meal 2: turkey “sandwich” with three slices turkey, one slice of bacon, ½ avocado, sprouts, and mayo served in butter lettuce leaves; 8 oz of water with compliant electrolyte supplement  

Meal 3: turkey “sandwich” with three slices turkey, one slice of bacon, ½ avocado, sprouts, and mayo served in butter lettuce leaves; 8 oz of water with compliant electrolyte supplement  

Movement (1 hour, 15 minutes): hike to the other end of Lake Aloha (relatively flat but rough-ish trail terrain)

Meal 4: Elements Broccoli Cinnamon Pork freeze-dried meal with butternut squash and egg whites; pouch of sweet potato and beet baby food

Snack: Gaia Herbs Liver Cleanse tea before bed (mostly because it was really cold) 

Water Intake: ~120 oz 

Steps: 30,198

Symptoms/NSVs:

• higher-than-expected heart rate (the hike wasn’t that hard; it shouldn’t have been that high)
  • fatigued legs

Thoughts/Reflections: I had four ladies join me on a backpacking trip this weekend and it was so lovely! I thoroughly enjoy the company of women and am so grateful I’ve been able to do this type of adventuring the last two weekends.

I dragged a bit more than last weekend. I definitely had a heavier pack so it could have been that. But it was also an easier hike. It wasn’t awful. But my legs were definitely more easily fatigued.

As a final note, I need to figure out something else to eat in the backcountry. These freeze-dried meals are awful and are really starting to all taste the same. I cannot eat the full meal because my gag reflex really starts going after about two thirds of the way through the bag. I’m going to have to start experimenting with some light backcountry cooking.

ROUND 4, Day 14: Sunday, November 10

Meal 1: pouch of blueberry, pear, and purple carrot baby food; small handful of homemade plantain chips

Exercise (3 hours, 11 minutes): 6.78-mile backpacking hike with 620 feet of elevation gain (112 average HR; 162 max HR)

Post-Workout Snack: can of coconut water

Meal 2: three over-easy eggs cooked in leftover bacon fat; served over spiralized sweet potato and russet potato cooked in ghee with salt, pepper, and seasoning; three slices compliant bacon; glass of orange juice

Exercise (1 hour, 3 minutes): mild vinyasa yoga (75 average HR; 95 max HR)

Meal 3: grilled chicken thighs with BBQ sauce; can of sliced potatoes cooked in duck fat; head of steamed broccolini; mango kombucha

Water Intake: ~100 oz 

Steps: 22,196

Symptoms/NSVs:

• fatigued legs
  • headache in the evening

Thoughts/Reflections: The hike out was tough, as it always is. My legs were feeling quite tired. But it was so lovely. I loved going with so many other like-minded women. They were so nice to get to know and I’m so grateful I had another distraction to take up my weekend.

I did take a nap today and it felt wonderful, though not particularly satisfying. I still felt tired and groggy. But I went to yoga and it felt so good for my body. I needed the deep stretching.

And that’s about it. I continue to fill my evening with watching tv and I continue to want to stop that practice and transition to more reading. But, I’m still trying to be gentle with myself and honoring my feelings and needs right now. It's still been less than a month and I desperately wish my little Inka. We both do. But I’m trying.

ROUND 4, Day 15: Monday, November 11

Meal 1: none

Snack: half a can of coconut water

Exercise (1 hours, 10 minutes): 2.64-mile hike with 518 feet of elevation gain (121 average HR; 171 max HR)

Snack: slice of deli turkey; half a can of coconut water

Meal 2: two grilled chicken thighs with BBQ sauce; small bowl of zucchini bone broth soup

Meal 3: grilled sirloin steak with spicy seasoning; two halves spinach and artichoke twice baked potatoes; watermelon kombucha   

Steps: 11,429

Symptoms/NSVs:

• terrible headache through most of the night
  • felt mildly depressed / very low mood
  • extreme tiredness in the evening (like, droopy eyelids at 6:30 p.m.)

Thoughts/Reflections: I felt really down today. All the things in life that haven’t been going well hit me hard today. It’s the day before my period should be starting so perhaps it’s that. Or maybe it’s just life. I tried to make the most of it though. I did a hike this morning and I went to the beach to watch the sunset with my little man. The sunset in particular really helped soothe my soul. I’m so grateful for the outdoors. I don’t know what I would do without these places.

ROUND 4, Day 16: Tuesday, November 12

Meal 1: Blueberry RxBar

Meal 2: three halves spinach and artichoke twice baked potatoes

Meal 3: golden beet and pistachio salad with balsamic drizzle; grilled trout marinated in garlic oil; fingerling tomatoes marinated in garlic oil; broccolini

Steps: 6,580

Symptoms/NSVs:

• felt mildly depressed / very low mood
  • extreme tiredness
  • left knee pain

Thoughts/Reflections: I still felt tired and down today. I also don’t have a plan for food this week so my eating habits are not gonna be pretty. I likely won’t be eating enough either, which does nothing for my mood. But, alas, here I am.