Starting Oct 9

Valcapone

I am starting W30 for the first time on Monday, and I am a big sugar addict. My biggest goals are to kick the sugar habit. Change my habits around food being a reward/consolation for my emotional stress. Teach my kids how to make good food choices (they are three and two). I’d also like to start a regular yoga practice. And I’m excited to see what positive changes my body goes through. But I’m really nervous too. Worried about sugar cravings and feeling overwhelmed.

Any advice?

Hi, I'm starting today too.  My husband is joining me too and worried about the sugar cravings as well.  One thing that helped me seeing this in a different way, was the part in the book that continues talking about slaying the sugar dragon.  I keep telling myself that it's a way of thinking I've allowed my brain to have, and that I can put it under control with discipline.  Not an easy task and challenging thought.  I'm going to look for different things to do, so when my craving comes I can focus my brain in something else.  Also, I will continue saying to myself that the craving only last for a short while.  

Good luck on your first day!!!!

• Moderators

Hi! Many people worry about cravings, you're definitely not alone in that. There are a couple of things I'd recommend.

First, be sure you're eating enough, and including a serving or two of healthy fat in each meal, in addition to any oil you cook with. Sometimes people are surprised at the serving sizes, but when you don't have grains taking up space or sugar adding empty calories, you can eat a lot of food. When you get the serving sizes worked out, you should be easily going 4-5 hours between meals without needing snacks or feeling like you're starving. When you're full between meals, it's a lot easier to walk past the candy dish on your coworker's desk or the box of doughnuts in the break room.

Second, right now, before you're craving something (hopefully), sit down and think of what you can do to distract yourself if a craving hits. Meditate, go for a walk, organise the pantry, call a friend, play with the kids or pets, work on a hobby, take a bubble bath, color in a coloring book, or even if it's after supper, just call it a night and go to bed. Have some options figured out so when a craving hits, you don't have to think too much about it, you can just pick something off the list to distract yourself.

If you're not sure if what you're experiencing is a craving or true hunger, ask yourself if you'd be willing to eat something bland and boring, like plain steamed fish and broccoli. If you'd eat that, you're probably truly hungry -- fix yourself a snack with a little protein, a little fat, and some vegetables, or at least two of the three. If you wouldn't eat something boring, you're probably not really hungry.

You can find the meal template and other helpful downloads here:   https://whole30.com/pdf-downloads/

Archived