Day 31/Whole30 observation & concern

reneenee

I completed my 30 days yesterday with great results in how my clothes fit, clearer skin and nice, even energy levels. I also just feel happier in general.

During the 30 days I had a problem with bloated breasts that would not go away for a few weeks, but that has subsided. The thing that I was hoping would also go away is the inflammation in my fingers every morning. It seems to subside as the day goes on, but I really thought this would have stopped happening by day 31. I've been Whole30 compliant this whole time, but after considering everything I consume, I realized that there is a tiny amount of maltodextrin in a vitamin and mineral complex supplement that I take every day in my water. Could this trace amount of maltodextrin be the culprit?? I figured that the benefit of all the minerals and vitamins would outweigh the tiny amount of sugar in the mixture.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

• Moderators

I don't think the maltodextrin is responsible for your troubled fingers. Did you have the same inflammation before changing your diet? If not, is there anything you are eating now that you did not eat before? Or are you eating a lot more of something that you ate much less of before?

Thanks for your response Tom.

I did have inflammation in my fingers (and also my ankles and general bloating) before the Whole30. My diet is different in that I'm eating sweet potatoes or yams very often since I've started this program. Also, I've been eating Applegate Organics Chicken Apple sausages most days with my eggs and vegetables for breakfast. Before Whole30 I only had eggs for breakfast. The other different ingredients I've had daily are coconut milk and pumpkin in my coffee. I don't have inflamed ankles anymore or any other bloating issues, so that's great, just the puffy fingers.

I also had day 30 yesterday ..... Prior to w30 ( eating mostly paleo for 6 months) both knees arthritic as well as several vertebrae constantly inflamed ....

Now my back is 100%. But my knees are still sore in the morning, the big difference is I'm off prescription NSAIDS and I've been able to double my workout load..... I believe I'm no longer " damaging" my knees with inflammation, but the years of damage will take a lot longer than 30 days to heal.... I can live at level..... Before, I was contemplating knee replacement .... No way now... :).

Good luck

Archived