Oh no! Do I need to start over?

liat

Hi! I'm on Day 8 of 30. I made the berries with coconut whipped cream from Well Fed, and only after devouring about 2 servings did I realize... vanilla extract has alcohol in it!

Does this mean I need to reset my Whole 30 clock back to day 0 and start tomorrow?

Thanks for your help!

I'm on Day 8 as well and last week I ate leftover sweet potatoes that I knew had a touch of vanilla extract and didn't start over. Technically it's noncompliant. However, I didn't want to waste the food, and I think that a trace amount of alcohol (assuming that's the only non-compliant ingredient) is not going to have the same effect on your body that other non-compliant ingredients (gluten, dairy, soy) would have. You'd get as much alcohol drinking some kombucha and that would be allowed.

However, in the context of your Whole30 I'd be more concerned with consuming dessert-type dishes as such (as in not part of a meal), especially if sugar is an issue for you in general, or if you're finding it hard to control your intake because it just tastes too good. Case in point: I made a delicious baked apple/coconut/almond dish before Day 1 (it was my Thanksgiving dessert) that was technically compliant, but since I couldn't control my intake of it (I plowed through a small casserole dish of it in under two days), I decided it was against the spirit of the Whole30, and I won't make it again until I'm done.

Honestly.... Making a desert that you " devoured" is more of a no no than the vanilla .... Not sure that it warrants starting over, but you are recreating/paleofying a dessert and that's not allowed.... Avoiding triggers (emotional and physical) is a main goal during the Whole30.

Sorry if that sounds negative but Whole30 really works!!!!! Just wishing you success and health. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah....what they said^^^

These are awesome points and super helpful! I've been doing a little searching on the message boards and decided not to start over, but I will be avoiding fruit in general for the remainder of my Whole 30. I've definitely been "devouring" all sorts of fruit (apples, raspberries, dried mango slices, etc) in excess of 4 or 5 servings per day.

Archived