Just started today!

Miranda Feamster

Just started my Whole 30 experience today. Hoping if I log my food and progress I'll be more motivated to do well, so here it goes.

Breakfast- 2 Egg omelette, cooked in olive oil, with spinach, tomatoes, a dash of garlic powder and a pinch of sea salt. I also had a tangerine and few cashews. Still unsure of things to drink so I just stuck with the basic water because I figure you can't go wrong with that :)

Lunch- I haven't had lunch yet but I plan to have a salad with chicken, cooked again in olive oil, some almonds and a homemade dressing recipe I found online that's Whole 30 approved. I might even branch out and have lemon in my water haha

Dinner- A recipe I found on Foodee.com that's of course Whole 30 approved. It's a squash and crab bisque with carrots, celery, onion, chicken stock and coconut milk. Sounded delicious so we'll see

Hope all goes well! Oh and I've never cooked with coconut oil or butter so can anyone tell me how that is because I bought a whole thing of the coconut oil but am still unsure of it :)

Welcome! I wish you much success - I hope you really like the program and feel awesome at the end of it (whatever your "end" might be :)). I have cooked with coconut oil before and I like it - it's weird that it's solid in my pantry but melts so quickly once it's heated. Because of that, I usually have to add more to the pan - it seems like a larger amount to me when it's solid but then when it melts I feel like I don't have any in there! I like coconut butter as well and usually use that when I make eggs in the morning. I remember the first time I made eggs with coconut butter - I felt like I was cheating on day one because the eggs tasted so sweet that way :). I think you'll really like the forum - I would'nt have been half as successful without everyone's encouragement/support/recipe ideas, etc. Again, welcome!!

I used to cook with butter--so I use coconut oil the same way. It melts at a really low temperature--if I put it in the cabinet with the counter light right underneath it, it melts.

Use it any time you fry something. I also coated squash with it and roasted it. If you want the smoothness with something mashed, melt a half tablespoon with about an 1/8th of coconut milk in the microwave and stir into mashed sweet potato --or better--mashed cauiflower for something really nice. (Sprinkle with paprika.) Vary the amount, of course, with the amount of veggie.

Welcome! Learning new ways to cook was the best part of my whole30.

Checkout Melissa Joulwen's site: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/ and do yourself a favour and make the chocolate chili soon. I've made it three times now in four days--no joke.

Thanks for the support and warm welcome...the info on the coconut oil and butter was helpful :) When I bought it yesterday my husband was like "what the heck is this" haha. I'm excited to use it! Alana, the link to theclothesmakethegirl was very helpful. I love salad but was worried about limited dressing options. There are many homemade dressing recipes on this site and others that I'm very much looking forward to trying. I had never even thought about the idea of making your own mayo before deciding to do this but there was even a how to video on this site so thanks. The chocolate chili sounds interesting, and even though I'm curious to see how chili without beans tastes I'm gonna give it a try for sure :D

So upset...didn't read the book because I wanted to get started before my friend loaned it to me so today after my workout at the gym I went to the smoothie bar, asked if the smoothies had sugar or dairy, guy said no so I got one. Had a couple drinks on my way home and checked it out immediately after I got home only to find it's not OK and gave the rest to my husband.Ugh...day one and I already feel like I screwed up

Don't worry about it! I made it to day 24 or something before I thought to read the ingredients of my tea--to my absolute surprise there was soy in it! Did that mean I had to start over from Day 1? No. I was keeping my whole30 with the very best of intentions--and in the right spirit--as you have, too! It's OK. Forgive yourself and move on to day 2.

When you get the book, read Part 5 right away, then the chapters 17, and 18, then Part 4, then chapter 18.Whatever. Cheifly parts 4,5, and 6 are the core of "what to do."

Thanks so much! Was feeling super discouraged because I've put a lot of thought and research into this and I really want to stick with it, unlike past yo yo dieting, and reap the health benefits. You've made me feel better about my...UH OHH moment :o It's a new day tomorrow and I will press on

Welcome Miranda. I am doing Whole 30 again s when I moved on I found too many things allowed that helped me to stray. I am on day 11 of the restart, and will probably stay close to whole 30 for the rest of my life.

Had some serious temptations today.First of all, I ate out for the first time since starting. I was also at someone else's house this evening and therefore out of the comfort and anti temptation zone of my own home and I was reminded that I am...or was a stress eater. When something very stressful came up today I wanted to ruin all of my progress for something as simple as bread or soda or whatever I could eat that I THOUGHT was the answer to my stress. I pushed past it all and was very proud in the end. I haven't wanted to give up as much as I wanted to today but I didn't, so take that past habits :P

After my terrible weekend I have to say that this week has been much easier than the first for me. I've come to see the meal planning as something to look forward to and I've found a few recipes that I really like which has helped me A LOT! I'm getting into more of a routine of of things now. I'm starting to feel the benefits and no longer have any headaches! My energy levels are up and it may just be in my head but it feels like simple things that never used to taste so great are super yummy now. I realized this when eating a banana and it tasted sooo sweet to me. Before I thought they were bland and kinda yucky. Is this all in my head??? I haven't read the entire book yet so I'm not 100% sure what to expect when it comes to tastes changing

So I'm on day 14! Honestly before I started I didn't know if I would make it this far and now I'm nearly half way there! Guess I take it as more of a compliment when friends and family say "wow, so proud. Didn't think you'd be so determined to stick with it" haha Eating out is still difficult for me though. Not as difficult to resist as much as having to watch everyone else eat the fresh bread or yummy pasta or not have to cringe at the thought of choosing a dish that's...safe haha I almost feel kinda grumpy when this happens which sounds soooo childish. Afterwards though I feel much better! I really feel that preparation is the key to this entire process. It's only when I feel that I don't have many options that I feel discouraged. Therefore, I generally say NO to eating out for this reason :)

Im so with you on the going out thing!! It doesn't bug me so much that I can't have the food, I just don't like the awkwardness created about making sure the food is whole30 approved... I supposed I should be used to it by now since I can't eat gluten anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

So I was nine days from completing my first Whole 30 experience...ONLY 9 days, and I screwed up! I haven't gone completely over to the dark side since, but I have had a few things that were not approved. I lost 16 pounds in 21 days just by eating whole foods so you'd think that would've been enough to keep me away from the NO NO foods but It didn't...stupid ME!

I'M STARTING FRESH TODAY THOUGH, and really don't wanna screw this up! I loved the progress I was making and I followed the guidelines religiously before so I'm determined to do well again...only for 30 days this time. Wish me the best :D

Archived