Ruth Chris Steakhouse....

SCrames

Im in a predicament. So I have to go to Ruth Chris Steakhouse for work on Friday (TOMORROW) night. I know it could be worse - lots of MEAT there. BUt I am very concerned about a - the cooking oil used, and b - the fact that its not grass fed. I even looked to see if there was salmon or something, but there is not.

Anyone familiar with Ruth Chris? What could I do for Whole 30 compliance? :) I know I can ask them to cook in olive oil which I did at a few places last weekend but I am concerned regardless...

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Can you call them today and ask a few questions? If you catch them between busy periods, I'm sure they can assist you. It sounds like you've already checked their website. More places are getting better about allergen disclosures.

I've never been to a Ruth Chris, so can't help you from personal experience, unfortunately!

SCrames-

You're the first other DC'er I've seen on here :D

I've never been to Ruth Chris, but from other posts, I have gathered that you can not worry about the grass-fed vs grain fed. Just ask them to cook your steak without oil... they should be able to do that. From what I have heard, that is a pretty nice restaurant, so I am sure they will try to find a way to comply with your requests!

Nicole - Yayy for DC! We'll have to share our DC paleo experiences :) I ate at Founding Farmers last weekend and got an filet cooked in olive oil. Best meal of my life - seriously. Grass fed of course, all the goodies!

Ya - I've never been there ever, just everyone says they cook in a LOT of butter (hence why people loveeee it). I will have to discuss with them the possibility of changing cooking oils then...

It's in the GW/White House area, on Penn and 20th. You HAVE to go, especially if you're doing Whole30. Best meal ever! Have you been eating out at all in the area and found compliant foods? I also went to Busboys and Poets (also grass fed) and it was pretty good. I had people in town so I was forced to eat out, but I picked the places!

I'll have to check it out... how are the prices?

I don't really know of any compliant places... we generally just pick compliant things when we go out. I am not W30 right now, so I just go as strict as I can whenever I go out to eat, which really isn't all that much.

I worked at Ruth's Chris about 20 years ago. I've eaten there a few times in the last couple of years, and nothing seems to have changed much in their preparations- I asked a lot of questions. The steaks are made from corn-fed beef (something they were very proud of ) and are broiled at a high temperature . Once cooked to desired temperature, the steaks are plated on a hot plate and then topped with clarified butter, which you can ask to have eliminated. Steamed vegetables were mostly boiled. Most RC restaurants seem to have knowledgeable staff and are willing to answer many questions. The steaks may not be grass fed, but the quality of the meat is better than anything I've seen at my local supermarkets. NOTE: Order your steak as rare or medium rare - they use the best pieces of steak for those temperatures.

Thanks, LRM. Great to know! I will make sure to tell them about the butter etc. As far as if I eat this steak on Whole 30, do you think this constitutes a re-start ie is this cheating? Im scared...i know its stupid but I want to do this 100%.

Thanks, LRM. Great to know! I will make sure to tell them about the butter etc. As far as if I eat this steak on Whole 30, do you think this constitutes a re-start ie is this cheating? Im scared...i know its stupid but I want to do this 100%.

Not even close to a restart. A steak house like RC is a great place to go out. Stick with a lean steak since it won't be grass fed and steamed veggies. Clarified butter is almost absent of dairy and is actually w30 approved. It would be better if it were butter from grass fed cows but that isn't always possible.

Archived