Oh dairy...

Camille Ho

Well, dairy is officially out of my diet. I've tried it twice now (hot chocolate made with milk) and both times have felt bloated, gassy, and seriously headachey. Awful.

Also, last night we went to our favorite chicken place (Nando's) where we used to eat all the time, and ordered everything just the same as before. Something in there set off both my husband and I, however, because he spent the whole night in the bathroom and I woke up at four in the morning feeling like there were knives rolling around in my stomach. Not to mention that I'm feeling a little stomach-achey this afternoon, even though my two meals today have been whole30 compliant.

I keep trying to look the ingredients up online to figure out what the trigger food could have been, but can't find any info. I'm sure there was probably gluten in the food, and maybe dairy...I also had some Diet Coke (I know, I know...I had to try it. It was SO unbelievably sweet and I couldn't believe how awful it tasted!) but I don't know if the chemicals in there would cause the reactions we had?

It's getting easier and easier for me to see how I'm going to live the rest of my life, and not panicking about it because I am having legitimate reactions to certain foods. I'm starting to feel like I can maaaybe handle life without the strict Whole30 guidelines, although I am still looking forward to my next one in January. I need to conquer the mental demons I've got going on now...

My birthday is next week and I really want some cake and alcohol (of which I have had none since before my whole30). Do I dare try it out??

I am a firm believer in cake and a bit of the bubbly for one's birthday...if you have tried gluten ahead of time!

As for the Diet Coke, I know several people who find themselves, ah, spending lots of time on the toilet. The sweetener could definitely be the culprit. Your body, newly healed, is just plain saying NO!

Oh and happy birthday a bit early! :)

I am a firm believer in cake and a bit of the bubbly for one's birthday...if you have tried gluten ahead of time!

As for the Diet Coke, I know several people who find themselves, ah, spending lots of time on the toilet. The sweetener could definitely be the culprit. Your body, newly healed, is just plain saying NO!

Oh and happy birthday a bit early! :)

I haven't touched a diet anything in about 7 months now.... I can't believe how much of that garbage I used to put in my system!!! So much happier now.... I look at it with disgust now.... Never getting back on that train....

Birthday was yesterday and I definitely celebrated well...even though it probably wasn't "well" :)

I'm struggling these past few days with the mental battle I've got going on in my head over food. I feel like I'm starting to slip back into old habits too far, and I find myself really looking forward to starting my second Whole30 in January. In fact, I toyed with doing a whole7 or something right before Christmas just to get back on track, but I'm not sure.

I'm starting to feel gross again and find that I have this paralyzing fear that I'll put those 10 pounds I lost back on and "be fat" again, even though I wasn't fat to start off with and I KNOW that the weight/scale shouldn't be the goal.

I am kind of disheartened by all of the mental work that I still need to go through. I know that this is an ongoing journey/struggle/epic war, but it makes me sad that it's such a big issue. I just wish that I could be at that place in my life where it's not so hard to choose between the black coffee and the praline latte at the coffee shop, or baking cookies, or whatever. I wish I was one of those people blessed with non-food issues, but I'm not, so I'm here trying to fight my way through it.

Ugh.

Sorry for the downer note, I've just been trying to process through riding my own bike and everything that goes along with it.

I hear you loud and clear - I've been feeling the same way. I keep telling myself, though, that it WILL get easier. I just have to give it time. I also remember reading one of the moderators saying in a post that when she stopped obsessing about losing weight, that's when it happened. That made me think back to how I was after my son was about a year old. I started dropping the weight and getting lots of compliments on how I looked from other people - I wasn't really doing anything to lose weight. But, I was eating pretty healthy because I didn't want to fill him up on junky stuff, and I was staying active by keeping up with him. So, I am trying to adopt that same breezy attitude now as well in hopes that the stress of losing weight may actually be me standing in my own way! I hope you can figure out what will work for you as well. Don't worry - we all figure out how to ride a bike at some point or another - but it's all at our own time and in our own way. I know you'll get there, just like I will - as soon as I start getting off of everyone else's bike! :) Best of luck to you!

Archived