What's wrong?? Day 10

Hi all, I have a question.

I'm on Day 10 of my first Whole30. I have to say that the transition last week was not as hard as I expected. I have never had a sweet tooth. But I was so used to drinking before every night with dinner. Maybe that has been the hardest for me. Anyhow, to the problem.

Last week I slept SO well. Better than in years! I was feeling really tired at the same consistent hour everyday and waking up with no alarm also at the same time everyday. 

This week however I'm back to sleeping not so well. I'm waking up groggy. I haven't cheated at all. This week has been much easier in terms of planning, since I cooked a LOT over the weekend. Could it be that I'm eating 'sugar' and not knowing? I had some spicy italian sausages from the deli at my supermarket. I read the labels and there were only compliant ingredients. 

Any ideas on what could it be? Or has my body adapted back to the usual self in spite of the diet? Being able to sleep amazingly was really one of the immediate benefits that I saw when starting whole30 and it helped me to keep going. Now I'm feeling a little lost :( 

HELP and THANKS!

• Administrators

Sleep disruption can be fairly common in the first couple weeks. It would be helpful if you could list out what you're eating (incl portion sizes related to the meal template, specific veggies, meal timing), fluids, stress, exercise and your general sleep hygiene.

What are your current sleep issues? Not falling asleep? Waking up to pee? Tossing and turning? Or just not waking up energized?

Thanks. I'm eating until I'm full. I don't get hungry until next meal.

The last days:

Sunday. M1: 2 eggs + leftover from dinner (shepherd's pie from book) + fruits

M2: More shepherd's pie with cabbage salad with mayonnaise. 

M3: Burgers with sweet potatoes and pesto.

Monday: M1: two eggs + burgers from night before with a baked potato + spinach.

M2: cabbage salad with sausage and mayonnaise.

M3: Sausages with ratatouille.

Tuesday: M1: one egg + ratatouille + baked sweet potatoe.

Nothing has changed from last week to this week in terms of exercise (3x week).

10 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

Sleep disruption can be fairly common in the first couple weeks. It would be helpful if you could list out what you're eating (incl portion sizes related to the meal template, specific veggies, meal timing), fluids, stress, exercise and your general sleep hygiene.

What are your current sleep issues? Not falling asleep? Waking up to pee? Tossing and turning? Or just not waking up energized?

Tossing and turning. Not falling asleep. Waking up tired.

To be honest, sleeping nicely last week was so new to me. I had never felt that way before. I'm really thinking that maybe my sausages had sugar on it. Could it be that?

• Administrators

I'll be honest, I very much doubt any transient sugar in a deli sausage is going to cause sleeping issues. Especially considering that somewhat disrupted sleep is your norm and last week was the anomaly. What I would probably suggest is that last week your body was going through some heavy adjustments to the changes you made and was exhausted.

How is Whole30 different than how you were eating previously?

What are your sleep hygiene habits? Room temp, darkness, quiet, eliminating electronics, all-week sleep schedule etc.

I wouldn't overthink this one, @lizitapola. Many things over than W30 can impact your sleep. It can be hard if you've got great results regarding sleep and then to have it shift in week 2. It doesn't mean you ate something non-compliant, or that it was working for the first week but not working now... You're still early in the process. It takes time for your body to sort this shift out - that's why it's 30 days and not 10 days. If by the time you hit 30 days you're not sleeping better generally, then maybe look at other factors besides hormonal eating patterns.  

Good luck and better sleep!

Archived