type one diabetes low blood sugars

hey,

I have t1 diabetes and I am doing the whole30 program, I am just wondering is it ok to treat low blood sugars with gluten free boiled lollies. these have always been what i use and I know they would not strictly been whole30 approved, but when I go low, I just want my sugar levels back to normal asap (without having to gorge myself on fruit, which is especially difficult in some situations eg at work/uni/sports)... so I am hoping that this is fine for the whole30?? someone please let me know!!

I have Type 1 too and I carried around sachets of plain white sugar to use when I got low during my Whole30. Low blood sugar is serious and needs to be treated quickly, it takes priority over Whole30 rules. Normally sugar is a bad guy because it causes blood sugar spikes and fluctuations etc, but if your blood sugar is already low then a spike is not going to be a bad thing, it's simply putting you back in the normal range. Saying that, I think you should stick to the plainest, most unflavoured/uncoloured/un-additivey form of glucose you can, like sugar or plain boiled lollies. Great to hear your levels are more stable! :)

thanks, good to know im not the only type 1 on here! Yeah, I always stick with the same barley sugar lollies (they are gluten free). I don't really like the flavour and don't use them too often, maybe I could try the plain white sugar... I mean thats something I would never treat myself with hahhaa!

• 9 months later...

I know this thread is old, but I'm glad I found somewhat of an answer to my thoughts!

I'm also T1, on a pump, and well managed. I just started the Whole30 yesterday and am looking forward to the benefits on reducing my overall insulin needs and even tighter BG control. However, as we (T1s) adjust to needing less insulin and figuring out exercise ontop of how protein affects our BGs, we're bound to get low. 

I treated mine with a banana last night which is okay it seems according to the guidelines, but do you all feel that is better/worse than just straight sugar? I don't want to be "derailed" from the program because I need to eat sugar on occasion... but of course lows are an immediate need over the program. #T1problems

If a banana works fast enough for you, and doesn't raise your blood sugars too high, I think it's a perfect treatment for a hypo. 

For me it's difficult to eat a whole banana if I'm not hungry, plus it seems to work too slowly and eventually send my blood sugars too far the other way, so I just have a tsp or so of sugar and that does the trick. A banana is obviously much more nutritious though, and is W30 compliant, so win/win! Dates (aka sugar bombs) also work well and are really easy to have on you at all times. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am type 1 as well and I use grapes--they are little sugar bombs for me! And when I was doing dairy, my nurse suggested milk. I have always been told, as was my mom who was a brittle diabetic, to be sure to have some protein and fat after bringing up your blood sugar because it will help stabilize your blood sugars. So I have grapes to bring me up, then I have a hard boiled egg or chicken or what ever meat I have in the fridge, with mayo if needed. 

The first time I did the Whole 30, I used bananas but sometimes they make my ears itch. Nowadays, I always have at least 1 cooked sweet potato in the fridge and I use that to raise my blood sugars. But my blood sugars always get dangerously low (40s) before I notice symptoms due to a medication I take that blocks the shakiness as well as sweating symptoms. 

• 1 month later...

I'm a T-2, and I haven't had much problem with lows on the Whole30, but when I did my first one in August I was also doing a low-iodine diet for three weeks of it for some medical tests.  On the days my sugar would really tank, I would slice a half an apple and dip the slices in almond butter.  That really helped bring my sugar up without sending it crazy high.  

I'm new to Whole 30, so I'm reading this with interest. Is there any reason that you couldn't use the traditional glucose tablets? Obviously not on the program, but as has been discussed, low blood sugar trumps the program for immediate help, right?

Hello one and all.

I started my first W30 2 days ago.. its going quite well - however, my sugar levels are averaging 3.8mmol (68mg/dl). I am on the insulin pump, so have now put a temporary basal rate on for 24 hours at 75% of what I usually have. 

This is one obstacle - however, what about the carb to insulin ratio when eating? Will that decrease in any way?

:)

thank you and happy eating.

hey,

I have t1 diabetes and I am doing the whole30 program, I am just wondering is it ok to treat low blood sugars with gluten free boiled lollies. these have always been what i use and I know they would not strictly been whole30 approved, but when I go low, I just want my sugar levels back to normal asap (without having to gorge myself on fruit, which is especially difficult in some situations eg at work/uni/sports)... so I am hoping that this is fine for the whole30?? someone please let me know!!

My son has Type 1 - Can you use juice or glucose tabs instead of Boiled Lollies? The follies really are not good for you over all, nor your teeth. Bananas may be good if you catch it soon enough but my not be have a fast enough reaction if you are dropping too low. You may have to incorporate more sweet potatoes in to your diet if you are active.

Sabbz, not sure if you've read the Diabetic Solution by Dr. Bernstein...I learned a lot from this book in terms of how food affects the blood sugar, and it really helped my transition to a paleo diet with regards to blood sugar control.

Hi all! I'm a T-1 (fairly uncontrolled) with a pump. Overall, blood sugars are down, and my insulin use is 40% down! However, I find myself allowing myself to be a bit high rather than experience lows. I'll not take a bolus WITH my meal, but adjust an hour after instead. Also, I'm finding that sweet potatoes shoot my blood sugar just as high as they ever did (bummer). I guess it's good to know that having one in the fridge for a potential low is a good plan...

I have found this conversation really interesting as I plan to start the whole30 soon and lows and how to counter them was a concern. While my blood sugar control is somewhat up and down I am generally quite active - gym, biking, indoor netball - so hopefully a diet change will stabilise my blood levels more.

Archived