Egg Nog

SCrames

All I want right now is egg nog!! I don't know why and I dont know where this craving came from!

I want to try and be whole30 as possible up to new years (even though my 30 days will be up on xmas eve day), but really want to make some delicious egg nog for my boyfriend and I for xmas eve.

Anyone have compliant recipes? All I am seeing are bunches with maple syrup and honey added....

??? I am not sure any are compliant because of the dairy. Maybe you could sub in coconut milk? It is already a little sweet so it might eliminate the need for a sweetener. It may require some more nutmeg or an additional egg yolk...who knows? Sometimes you just have to sacrifice ingredients in the name of experimentation! :P

There are definitely compliant egg nog recipes out there (yes, with coconut milk as a base), but it's a HUGE calorie bomb, and since you're craving this food choice, I'd call it SWYPO.

Homemade nogs are way better than the HFCS laden stuff in the store, so if I were you, I'd just wait

Thanks all! You're right, Renee. I really want it probably because it's that one xmas treat I know I can't have and really want. That being said, my whole30 will be over for xmas, so maybe I will comply as much as possible on xmas day/eve, maybe will a small portion of "complaint" egg nog and then start another whole30 January 1st.

• 11 months later...

I know it's been a while but this may help some:

I had a craving today and wasn't so worried about SWYPO due to being a long time whole30-ier.

I made eggnog with a combination of 3/4 c coconut milk (the thick stuff from the top), 4 pastured eggs, 4 dates, nutmeg, cinnamon and cardamon. Blended till smooth. Play with the amount of coconut milk, I basically kept adjusting til I got my desired texture, thickness and creaminess. 

delish.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived