I am SO Discouraged! Day 23 and feeling exhausted, among other things :-(

*KG

This is soooo discouraging. I am on Day 23, been following this religiously, and am getting progressively more tired (where's my Tiger Blood?!). Not only that, but my clothes are fitting tighter and I'm noticing I've become flabbier and chubbier! I'm even sleeping more poorly. I still exercise daily so I don't understand what's happening here. This is very demoralizing.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, *KG said:

This is soooo discouraging. I am on Day 23, been following this religiously, and am getting progressively more tired (where's my Tiger Blood?!). Not only that, but my clothes are fitting tighter and I'm noticing I've become flabbier and chubbier! I'm even sleeping more poorly. I still exercise daily so I don't understand what's happening here. This is very demoralizing.

Well that's too bad :(  If you would like some help, perhaps you can provide us with some information about what you've been eating including portion sizes, meal timing, specific veggies, protein and fats, workouts and anything else you feel might be relevant (such as, if you are a woman, are you on or near your period etc).

Sure. I get up at 5 to exercise (oh, I'm a 63-yr-old woman, post-menopausal), then have hot water and turmeric, and then head to work, where I have stuff like leftovers from the night before (spiralized veggies, hamburg or roast), or sometimes berries and banana and nuts and even sometimes unsweetened applesauce on that. I snack during the mornings (lately pumpkin seeds and natural almonds, or carrots and tahini). Lunch is always a salad and maybe tuna or hard-boiled egg. Snacks are also home-made soups (today it was broccoli). And dinner is a chicken dish or meat or salmon, salad, and cooked veggies (cauliflower rice or mash, or broccoli, or spiralized veggies. And I drink wayet during the day, decaf coffee, and herbal teas.

• Moderators

Okay so the way I read this is:

Breakfast is either leftovers  or fruit and nuts with fruit on top

Lunch is salad greens and one egg or some tuna

You snack during the day and your dinner doesn't include fat.

You're not eating enough.  None of these meals seem to match the template altho you did not provide portion sizes related to the template so it's hard to tell.

When you eat fruit and nuts for breakfast, nuts for a snack and one egg on salad for lunch, it's not hugely surprising that you don't feel good.

Have you seen the template?  I would encourage you to make your meals match the template and look around through this troubleshooting section for answers to others concerns because most concerns on here are due to not eating enough.

You also say you work out but I see no pre or post workout food.

Oh, sorry. I do have fat! I use coconut oil and Ghee and olive oils. And the protein amounts in the morning and evening are pretty big. And how would that account for gaining weight, too? It just doesn't seem to add up. I'm also eating big portions at lunch and dinner; even breakfast sometimes because of the amount of leftovers. Wouldn't I be seeing something positive?

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, *KG said:

Oh, sorry. I do have fat! I use coconut oil and Ghee and olive oils. And the protein amounts in the morning and evening are pretty big. And how would that account for gaining weight, too? It just doesn't seem to add up. I'm also eating big portions at lunch and dinner; even breakfast sometimes because of the amount of leftovers. Wouldn't I be seeing something positive?

Did you come from a place of calorie restriction or yo yo dieting previous to the Whole30?  People who have can see some weight gain while their body gets comfortable that the nutrients and fuel are going to be consistently incoming... consider that if you were restricting before, your body now is going to hang on to everything because it thinks you'll restrict it again... it's the biology of feast and famine.

Oh, that's interesting. maybe I wasn't eating as much as I am now. That might be a possibility. Although I was eating breads and cheese and having wine and sweet things like chocolate, and I've restricted all that on the Whole30 so it still doesn't make sense. Anyway, I'll keep at it but it's still very discouraging given the time and effort I'm putting into this. I'm even having to go to a fancy Italian restaurant this weekend to celebrate something for my son and can barely eat anything on the menu. :-(

• Moderators
Just now, *KG said:

Oh, that's interesting. maybe I wasn't eating as much as I am now. That might be a possibility. Although I was eating breads and cheese and having wine and sweet things like chocolate, and I've restricted all that on the Whole30 so it still doesn't make sense. Anyway, I'll keep at it but it's still very discouraging given the time and effort I'm putting into this. I'm even having to go to a fancy Italian restaurant this weekend to celebrate something for my son and can barely eat anything on the menu. :-(

It does make sense... there is no nutrition (or minimal) in bread, cheese, sweet and chocolates... it has lots of calories but is not nutrient dense food

Except that wine, cheese, sweets, breads are all fattening so totally eliminating them from my diet and just eating protein, some fats, and veggies should induce my body to shed some weight. I really don't understand why it isn't. Or why I'm sooooo tired. And my sleeping, which seemed to improve at the beginning of this diet, is now suffering again. I wake up and can't get back to sleep, or have trouble falling asleep. As I said, it's really quite demoralizing. :-(

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, *KG said:

Except that wine, cheese, sweets, breads are all fattening so totally eliminating them from my diet and just eating protein, some fats, and veggies should induce my body to shed some weight. I really don't understand why it isn't. Or why I'm sooooo tired. And my sleeping, which seemed to improve at the beginning of this diet, is now suffering again. I wake up and can't get back to sleep, or have trouble falling asleep. As I said, it's really quite demoralizing. :-(

Okay well the way that you listed your food (eating one egg for lunch for instance and the need to snack) tells me that you're not eating enough but you say you are.  wine, cheese, sweets and bread are empty calories and nutritionally void for the most part.  Sure, they might make you gain weight because that's how your body reacts to too much sugar in the blood stream etc... but that doesn't excuse that if you are feeding your body mostly nutritionally void foods and then you switch to nutrient dense foods, your body is going to do a little happy dance for the nutrients and hold on to everything becuase it doesn't know when you might go back to wine and cheese and chocolate.

In the long term, yes, cutting out those items and eating fat, protein and veggies should get your body to a stable weight but that doesn't happen in 23 days and especially if you've come from a place of restriction, it's going to take longer... age doesn't help either and when we're trying to turn our metabolism and hormones around, it can take longer as we pass our twenties and thirties and head into our fourties, fifties and sixties.  I get that it's demoralizing but there's no answer hidden in here that is the reason you're feeling like you might be gaining except tht your body is trying to sort itself out and it takes time.

I would encourage you to pick up the book It Starts With Food which explains how our hormones interplay with our food and our bodies.  I think you'll have a few aha moments.

12 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Okay well the way that you listed your food (eating one egg for lunch for instance and the need to snack) tells me that you're not eating enough but you say you are.  wine, cheese, sweets and bread are empty calories and nutritionally void for the most part.  Sure, they might make you gain weight because that's how your body reacts to too much sugar in the blood stream etc... but that doesn't excuse that if you are feeding your body mostly nutritionally void foods and then you switch to nutrient dense foods, your body is going to do a little happy dance for the nutrients and hold on to everything becuase it doesn't know when you might go back to wine and cheese and chocolate.

In the long term, yes, cutting out those items and eating fat, protein and veggies should get your body to a stable weight but that doesn't happen in 23 days and especially if you've come from a place of restriction, it's going to take longer... age doesn't help either and when we're trying to turn our metabolism and hormones around, it can take longer as we pass our twenties and thirties and head into our fourties, fifties and sixties.  I get that it's demoralizing but there's no answer hidden in here that is the reason you're feeling like you might be gaining except tht your body is trying to sort itself out and it takes time.

I would encourage you to pick up the book It Starts With Food which explains how our hormones interplay with our food and our bodies.  I think you'll have a few aha moments.

OK, thx for this. Maybe that's it, then; my body is re-regulating itself? I'll take hope in that. While I hate the time it takes nightly to prep, cook, and clean (it's a good coupla hours, even though I also make stuff on the weekend to have during the week), I'm eating better than ever and much more nutritionally. I wish I had the energy to show for it, though! :-(

Archived