First Whole 30 begins 1/1/13.....need ideas how NOT to loose weight

suzytee

Our family began Whole9 eating the day after Thanksgiving. Our primary reason was to help our 30 year old obese Mentally handicapped son loose weight. It always works best when we work together. He has lost 15 lbs.!! I have lost 3 and I feel fine but at 5:4 /110 lbs. I do not want to loose more. I have not totally given up sugar so when I do I expect more weight to drop. I would like some advice as to how to avoid this. I have started lifting weights again which I'm sure will help. I already do yoga 5 days and power walk 2x per week. I suspect that I should eat more sweet potatoes etc. I do not want to eat too much fruit because I know I need to get the "sweet taste" out of my life. I appreciate any ideas....less meat ...more veggies??

Wow I love your dedication to your family and your family's health, so awesome. I switched my whole family too.

For yourself I would suggest more sweet potatoes and lots of healthy fats....coconut oil and avocado being my 2 favs. You are totally right about not getting sucked into the "fruit trap" and I think that you can never go wrong with more veggies.

Good luck on you and your family's journey, you sound like you are on the path to success.

You are to be admired for giving your son this gift. I agree with MJ..starchy veggies. It's the season for winter squash so you are in luck. Definitely don't cut down on the protein. You could possibly benefit from 2 palm size servings along with 2 thumb sized healthy fat (think homemade mayo and avocados) and the rest of your plate being veggies. How ate you feeling? Strong and powerful or slightly wimpy. You may need 4 meals but I would try the other suggestions first.

Your body is adjusting -- weight is just a number. You won't lose past what your body can handle. It may be some water retention, that you shed. Eat plenty to keep yourself fueled for your activity! It may seem like a lot, but remember you are eating good, natural food, not filler. :)

I third the motion.... Up your protein, especially if you are adding workouts..... I would suggest a pre and a post workout meal in addition to your three regular meals on your weight lifting days

PreWO consisting of protein and fat. Two fried eggs and avacado, coconut milk in coffee, or a few nuts

PostWO of lean protein and a sweet potato/squash immediately after workout

I was losing a ton of weight before my Whole30 (well W 90 now ) eating strict Paleo but I was drastically under eating ( only lean protein and leafy greens). My body suffered tremendously and I was NOT healthy and totally stressed and inflamed. When I started my Whole30 I continued to drop lbs but I noticed that my muscles were coming back as was my strength and endurance, but all my body fat was spreading off. I increased my protein and fat and starchy veg again and for day 30 to day 60 I was able to put back on 5- 6 lbs of pure muscle while my body fat decreased still..... I've never ever made those kinds of gains in my life! Now from day 60 to 90 I'm going to dial it back a bit on the protein only and see if I can hold steady......

So what I'm saying is experiment ( your wise to avoid much fruit) with the mix.... Log your meals/workouts/ and how you feel ( energy, mental state,gut issues and avoid the scale) this way you can go back like a scientist and know 100% that " when I ate more protein and fat I felt and preformed great" or " when I ate three sweet potatoes a day I was sluggish in the afternoon". What ever....... But you will have a running log and be able to fine tune ..... It's a beautiful thing....

Your family is very fortunate that you've taken this leadership role in their health and well being....well done.... My brother in law has Down's syndrome and suffers From very poor nutrition..... I try in vain, and it saddens me because I know his quality of life would be much better and he would be on much less medication ( mood swings,depression,lethargy,high blood pressure...... All the things W30 lifestyle will cure right away)... I'll keep trying....... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your ideas and support. Tomorrow is the big day. My weight is holding and I feel great. I always feel pretty great though so if I feel better after this it will be amazing. Hubby is going to have the biggest challenge and son is along for the ride even though it's not his idea. One last question...do you recommend the Whole30 daily? I think I will sign up but just thought I would ask. Happy New Year to you!!

Archived