Arrowroot/tapioca

I'm reading primal body primal mind atm and it suggests all (refined) starches are bad. I had chucked out all thickeners except for coconut flour, and bought arrowroot which is tapioca to thicken stews which I started using on about day20..BUT I think I am getting a sore bloated stomach when I have the tapioca, is that likely?? I couldn't use gluten free flours before that contained starches even soy free ones, i used to make my own combo with the straight flours instead... Is there a dietary reason why tapioca starch is better or is it just that it's a vege rather than a grain? I tend to have squash more often than sweet potato as I also wonder if some people struggle with sweet potato carbs....

Yes, tapioca is a veg (cassava) rather than a grain but, from what I've read, it doesn't contain much nutritional value so, if you think it's causing you to bloat, I'd just leave it out and try coconut flour instead. We're all different and different foods will react differently with different people. I've been gluten free for years but W30 has made me realise I react to a lot of gluten-free products as well.

To be honest, I tend to thicken stews by just pureeing some of the veg and adding it back in, that way I avoid starches completely. I don't have a specific problem with sweet potato carbs as opposed to squash for instance but I do have to keep an eye on the overall amount of carby veg with a meal or i just get incredibly tired after it.

• Moderators

Starches are a point of contention in the Paleo world. Not being a scientist myself, I don't try very hard to judge which camp is correct on any particular point. I decided several years ago after arguing with Dallas and Melissa about one thing or another that I could trust them to be my food experts and that I would go with their thinking unless I had a good reason to argue with them again. They don't warn against most starches, so I accept them. That said, if you don't feel right after eating anything, avoiding it is a good idea.

I never saw the point of thickening anything. I do use coconut flour or tapioca flour when browning meat, but don't do that much either.

Archived