Coffee? Legumes? And red wine (but when do we introduce sulphites)??

*KG

Hi, all. 

It took me 38 days (actually, probably more like 30) to finally start feeling great on my first Whole30 foray ever! But I am now starting my re-intro (halfheartedly) because I want to know what my triggers are before our office Christmas party Dec. 14 (which I am really looking forward to and worked the Whole30 planning around this ultimate date). 

Three questions, and the first deals with caffeine: In the Slow Roll reintro that's in the Whole30 hardcover, they don't say anything about the reintro of caffeine. I've been drinking decaf coffee (and herbal teas) this entire 38 days but I do miss the real taste of a good cuppa. What day am I allowed to reintroduce it to my diet?

For legumes, will a can of chick peas thrown into my salad work?

And for red wine, it should be sulphite-free? So, I can try to get organic wine (I'm not a tequila drinker, as the Slow Roll suggests), but then when would we introduce sulphites to our diet?

Thanks in advance! This Whole30 really does change a person's life! I have eaten poorly for so long now and while I really grumble at the prep, cooking, and cleaning time I have to spend daily (even if I do some cooking on the weekend) for the week), I look forward to the healthy and wholesome foods I am eating. Thank you, Melissa and Dallas!!!

KG

• Administrators

Caffeine isn't a food that you are required to remove on Whole30 therefore there is no guidance on when you would add it back. The fact you've done so is your personal choice. Feel free to reintroduce it whenever you like but I would suggest that you give it its own fair run like any other reintroduced item (ie, have caffeine a few times in one day and then go back to Whole30 without your caffeine for a couple days to assess the reaction).

Chickpeas will work for legume reintroduction as they are legumes.

If you are concerned about sulphites, try to reintroduce them separately. If you're reintroducing wine because you enjoy wine, I would go with whatever brand you normally drink and then see how you do.

1 hour ago, ladyshanny said:

Caffeine isn't a food that you are required to remove on Whole30 therefore there is no guidance on when you would add it back. The fact you've done so is your personal choice. Feel free to reintroduce it whenever you like but I would suggest that you give it its own fair run like any other reintroduced item (ie, have caffeine a few times in one day and then go back to Whole30 without your caffeine for a couple days to assess the reaction).

Chickpeas will work for legume reintroduction as they are legumes.

If you are concerned about sulphites, try to reintroduce them separately. If you're reintroducing wine because you enjoy wine, I would go with whatever brand you normally drink and then see how you do.

So even if my usual wine has sulphites? Then I'm introducing alcohol and sulphites together? But maybe that's OK anyway?

1 hour ago, *KG said:

So even if my usual wine has sulphites? Then I'm introducing alcohol and sulphites together? But maybe that's OK anyway?

Most wines contain sulfites, either as naturally occuring or as an added preservative.  If you are concerned specifically about a sulfite allergy or sensitivity, then a seperate re-intro for just that would be prudent.  However, keep in mind that many other products such as medications and skin creams contain sulfites as well, which could skew the results of a food based / sulfite only trial.

Archived