Looking for a pickled red onion recipe

Muse_of_Fire

Hello there!

I am a semi-professional athlete who eats mostly paleo/mediterranean but due to overtraining and also coping with major life changes (divorce, moving, mental health issues) I have put my training on a major slowdown, refrained from all competitions, and been super relaxed about my diet. I'm planning to use Whole 30 to do a diet reset, to get back to my training and to get back to competition. It is my first time doing Whole 30. My start date will be 2/1/18, and I have my sights on a competition in May. I'm trying to plan ahead as much as I can for my Whole 30 start so I'm trying to set up a rough 30-day meal plan in advance.

I use homemade pickled red onions in a LOT of stuff. They are my go-to add-on to top meat, steamed veggies, bowls, etc. The recipe is red onions, rice vinegar, red wine vinegar, salt, and sugar. I am wondering if there is a compliant recipe out there. I have the Whole 30 Quick and Easy cookbook and there is a recipe for quick-pickled veggies in there. It uses pineapple juice for the acid and the sweetener, so I'm thinking of trying to apply that to just the onions but I think it will be too sweet. Anyone have a compliant pickled red onion recipe? Can I use unsweetened apple cider?

I welcome your advice. I will try not to be too much of a noob. ;)

• Moderators

You could try your recipe just without the sugar -- if you feel it needs some sweetener, maybe try a splash of pineapple or apple juice/cider, but it might be okay without any sweetener. You could do smaller batches a couple of ways and see what tastes best to you -- it might be that the all pineapple juice version is too sweet most of the time but works in some applications where you want something a bit sweeter. Different vinegars will also give you different flavors, so that's something you might play with sometime too. (Do be sure you check your vinegars for sulfites -- you can definitely find rice vinegar and red wine vinegar that are compliant, but there are also varieties that are not. The red wine especially will almost certainly have some kind of sulfites, just be sure that they're not added/listed in the ingredients -- it's fine if they're labeled "naturally occurring" or if, apart from the ingredient list, it says "contains sulfites." 

If you do these a lot, you might also look into fermenting your onions -- it's a slightly different taste than the vinegar-pickled ones, but gives you added probiotics. Here's one recipe: http://www.killerpickles.com/hot-pink-onions/, and a different option:  https://www.deliciousobsessions.com/2012/11/52-weeks-of-bad-a-bacteria-week-34-lactofermented-red-onion-recipe-updated-for-the-pickl-it/  It's definitely something you have to plan ahead for, though, not something you can whip up for dinner tomorrow. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
8 hours ago, milano14 said:

Dianne Walker's cookbook "Celebrations" has a recipe for pickled red onions...I can look when I get home later today and get it to you.

Bear in mind we do not permit sharing of copywrite information on this site (either through the forum or direct messaging).  Perhaps the interested party can get the book out of the library :)

On 1/9/2018 at 4:55 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Bear in mind we do not permit sharing of copywrite information on this site (either through the forum or direct messaging).  Perhaps the interested party can get the book out of the library :)

Sorry; I thought I'd be able to find a link to it from her website, but not there:(

The library is a good idea!

Archived