MimiHI Whole30 Hi!

MimiHi

so sorry to hear of your discouragement, and i would be too if i were already on a restricted diet and then found out i had to eliminate even more! were you having these same physical problems before you started the whole30 (stomach cramping etc)?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the lower right quadrant pain for the past 8 months, but it's definitely flared up more frequently since I started Whole30. I wasn't eating as many almonds as I am now...in almond milk, and almond butter, etc. I've had the onion, garlic, tomato issue for awhile but now that's really blown up. 

I'm just in the brink of being fed up with it all...teetering on the edge of freedom. It's so frustrating to work so hard and not feel improvements, just more aches and pains. I'm not crabby about it, just trying to figure out how to proceed forward so I end not thinking, "Why the hell did I do that"? 

I'll keep plugging away, but it feels as if I'm starting from day 1 again trying to figure out what to prepare, and we all know how that day felt: like being handed the keys to a huge dump truck and being told "Drive this for the next 30 days. You'll feel awesome afterwards, but until you get used to it, it's gonna be a real challenge."

Ha! OMG! too funny Jager07. That's how it feels though...as if everything is wreaking havoc! 

That's what I'm going to sift through tonight...try to come up with a good solid list of what I can have. Right now, I think blueberries are pretty safe bet.

It's really do think it's akin to starting from day one, only without the freedom of that whole entire list of approved foods. It'll work out, but it feels overwhelming at the moment because it's day 15 and I thought I'd be super on top of things at this stage of the game!

You are still super on top of things, especially if you've been feeling like this for quite a while.  You can be totally proud of yourself for doing so well.  Who knows how long you would have been having a constant undercurrent of symptoms without getting to the bottom of it.  Hopefully there are still W30 foods that are gentle on you as you rock the second half.  

Hugs to you. :wub:

This year I was doing some research and read an article about the importance of “the pivot”.  I hadn’t heard that expression before, but basically the concept is that we learn and grow when we are willing to change with needs and circumstances.  It’s common sense, but for some reason it struck a chord with me.  Sounds like you are right in the middle of a pivot and I can imagine it feels uncertain and stressful. 

I think you know your body the best, and you should do what’s right for you.  Sounds like you’ve gained a lot of knowledge about your tolerance for foods doing the Whole30.  But I get ya.  Restrictions on top of restrictions is tough.  Maybe you could modify the plan to suit you?  

Whatever you decide, we are here for you!  Will support you no matter what.

Oh @MimiHi I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time! This must be so frustrating for you! I absolutely agree with @Jager07 and @CaveMom...you have put a ton of effort into your health and this W30 and you are one tough momma! However you decide to proceed we are here to support you. I really hope your joint pain and abdominal pain subside and you find out exactly what your body needs. 

Oh my gosh, you all are so so nice! I'm on the verge of bawling like a baby you've touched my heart so deeply with your kindness and support. Truly, I'm very very grateful.

Cavemom, I love that concept of a Pivot. It's very appropriate right now. All of you have so many insightful and meaningful things to write, I'm really blown away by all these fabulous words of wisdom you share.

Jager07, you're definitely right that this could have gone on for a very long time...I think it has, actually, and maybe why I could never ever lose any weight. Like never. no matter what I tried. 

I didn't eat much of anything today besides some roasted turkey, so the pain and the aches have subsided. For dinner, I found some zucchini noodles at the fancy schmancy store nearby, and had a benign ground white turkey patty. The thrilling part of my boring meal was I also discovered a brand of Ghee that I'd never seen before, it cost about a million dollars, but it just might save the days ahead. I'm still sticking to my "one pan is enough pan"  motto, so I stuck all that in a pan, sautéed the bejeezus out of it and called it dinner! Yea!!

I think the beauty of this whole discovery is finding out once again how AWESOMELY SUPPORTIVE all of you are!! From the bottom of my heart, thank you for your kind words.

Hi!

I just finished reading your entire log and I have to agree with others, I love your style of writing, love the writing metaphors and I do know the feeling of hating your pet at 1am.

I'm sorry about your food issues. Are you able to go to an allergist or someone who can test you for allergies or intolerances? A friend at work did it and she learned she had an intolerance to red wine (she cried) but also random things she never would have guessed such as mustard seed. Since doing that, she's adjusted her diet and feels a lot better. She does have red wine from time to time but knows the negative consequences.

Going back to your earlier days, I too will spend the extra for pre-cut vegetables but I don't begrudge myself that luxury. I love cauliflower but hate the mess in chopping it so the idea of making cauliflower rice is a nightmare - I will gladly buy cauliflower rice rather than shred it myself and get little cauliflower bits all over my kitchen. And considering the money I'm saving in not buying wine and takeout/restaurants, I'm still saving money.

Your doggie is adorable.

i agree, i think it's worth a visit to a doc who can test you for food sensitivities rather than trying to parse it all on your own. i hope you are feeling better!

Yes, me too. I’ll go on Monday, if I last that long...I’m beginning to think I might actually have an appendicitis brewing. Time will tell!

I actually drove to the ER this afternoon, but it was packed full of people who looked like they had the flu, so I hightailed it out of there..I had the flu for 12 days prior to XMAS and no abdominal pain in the world is going to put me in the line of fire for another round of that. 

Hope you are doing well!

i don't want to say i hope you have appendicitis, but at least if you did you wouldn't have to give up so many foods! and you'd have an answer. whatever it is, i hope the doctor can help.

Thanks everybone, the crazy thing has settled down again...so it’s really a mystery...I haven’t eaten much for two days, so I’m very much thinking it’s food/gut related. Anyway, I’m not having as much fun this week as I’d hoped. I’m desperate enough I might drink only bone broth for the next week. I read that’s a good way to heal things up,quickly. Sounds downright disgusting but there is a bone-broth store not too far from my house so I might as well, give it a go. And no, I will not be making it at home. If I’m not willing to spirilze a zucchini, I’m sure not going to mess with a chicken carcass boiling in a pot. Gladly pay for someone to do that!

Ok, this is super weird question, but does anyone's laptop give them abdominal pain?? I know I'm grasping at straws here, but I swear this thing of mine gets throbby and barks at me, after I use my laptop. 

Clearly, I'm going crazy.

This was seriously the slowest Whole30 day of them all. I barely ate anything in fear of creating a wrath of anger from that thingy in my abdomen, and I wanted to quit 800,000 times an hour. Tiger's blood is not happening anytime soon, I can guarantee that. I'm not quitting, but these middle weeks are seriously bugging the cr*p out of me.

Day 17 is done. Yea!!

Good grief!  I’d be so frustrated right now if I were you, not knowing what’s going on.  I’d question everything too.

Im so sorry you are having such a difficult time.  It’s amazing that you’ve stuck with it for 17 days!  Makes you awesome in my book!

Thanks Cavemom. Honestly, I would’ve quit a few days ago if it weren’t for you all. I really enjoy hearing how you are all doing each day, and would miss out on the excitement of seeing you reach the end. I won’t quit, but I swear I’ve wanted to bail everyday. 

I believe I’ve spent enough hours to earn a semesters-worth of pre-med credits researching a diagnosis for my abdominal pain: Almond allergy that causes adult colic (apparently colic isn’t just for babies). Seriously, this took me all weekend, weaving and winding through the internet, but it hits the mark closer than anything else. Not sure this helps my mood, but it does alleviate some worry. 

Mark my words, I bet you that almonds will be the new “gluten” in a year or two. Just like Orange Is The New Black, Almonds Are The New Gluten. 

Goodbye Larabars, see ya new almond milk recipe, so long dates dipped in almond butter, sayonara almond stuffed olives. 

My list of food intolerances grows:

Onions, garlic, broccoli, tomatoes, kale, mushrooms, almonds and all things fabulous that almonds create, which is frankly about a thousand food items at Whole Foods.

Day 18:

Happy to be here, but I’m not joyful about it. In fact, I’ve come to acknowledge that for me, this Whole 30 is more and more like a marathon. Ive had this feeling many times at mile 18 in a race. The god-I want-to-quit-but-I’ve-come-this-far-and-it’d-take-longer-to-catch-a-ride-in-the-support-van-than-it would-to-finish-the-damn-race-so-I-might-as-well-keep-going feeling. The great thing is I also know that at mile 19 something exciting happens every time and that is the first whiff of the finish line floats through the air. Then at mile 20, the race begins and that’s when it gets really exciting. 

You are a trooper!

And oh dear lord, are you funny!  You have a way of framing how you feel in a comedic sense that speaks to all of us without downplaying the seriousness of what's going on in your body. 

Thank you for sharing your journey.  This marathon is going to be your best one yet for fighting through the adversity.

"Almonds are the New Gluten" just made my night :) 

We're happy you're still in the game too! You've got this. You've over the halfway mark, you just need to pace yourself for these final few miles. (I don't run, so let's pretend that fake running jargon made a ton of sense)

Archived