CaveMom W30 12/28 Start Date

CaveMom

MimiHi, Thanks for the compliments on the pictures.  It’s so flattering and makes me want to take pictures of my food now, lol!  My husband is getting a kick out of me waiting to eat until I get a picture.  

Haha, crockpot applesauce was cooked apples I cooked too long, so I mashed them up.  

Day 8 - Enough energy to play with my kids!

I’m feeling wonderful on Day 8!  Lots of energy.  We ended up with 6-8 inches of snow last night. Of course the kids were thrilled!  I love my girls more than life itself.  But I usually don’t have enough energy to play with them as much as I’d like to.  

I felt so good today that I asked them if they wanted to play board games.  We played for a couple of hours, laughing and talking and having such a good time.  Was sugar causing me to feel bad all the time?  Is it possible that changing how I eat can improve the relationship I have with my kids?  Sounds crazy, but I think there is something to it.

For Breakfast I had a veggie and egg scramble and cut up and orange.  Coffee and Nitpods.

Lunch was a taco salad with acorn squash and a few more orange slices.

Snack was frozen grapes

Dinner was chili with quacamole and a La Croix.  I try to limit those to one a day.  

Ha! So not everything you show us is over-the-top Gourmet Magazine ready, huh?

You seem to have a lot of fabulous tools in your cooking arsenal. Do you use the crockpot a lot? That mandolin seems awfully handy. Are you using that almost daily to create your dishes? We don't have a lot of kitchen space,  so I'm hesitant to buy a big huge gadget that takes up valuable cabinet/counter real estate. 

I’m definitely using the crock pot and mandolin more than I used to.  I’m finding out there are hundreds of ways to cook potatoes and it usually starts with some type of chopping style.  I’m kind of learning as I go.  

My most used kitchen tools are my cast iron skillet.  I don’t even bother putting it away.  I just keep it on the stove or in the oven.  I also love my sheet pans.  I couldn’t cook without them. 

I like to cook, but I’m not skilled enough for some of the fancier things that I see on here.  Plus, I’d never get my kids to eat it, lol!

Your things look pretty fancy to me, Cavemom. I've though about getting  cast iron skillet. I think I might go check out the mandolin tomorrow. Everyone seems to rave about them on here...little concerned about ending up in the ER with my finger sliced off, though.

Enjoy your snow days. So fun to have more days off without the pressure of the holidays, I think. Last year, we had a monster snow storm right about now, and it was fantastic. For the first few days, anyway!

Day 9 - In the groove - maybe

Today was pretty uneventful.  We went out to eat with my sister-in-law and her husband for her birthday.  I looked at the menu online and ate a larabar before we got there so I wouldn’t be overly hungry or have to stress at the table.  

Got salmon asparagus and roasted potatoes.  It’s a local Italian restaurant and the chef told us how they prepare the food.  My husband custom ordered chicken and sautéed veggies.  I trusted the ingredients and feel confident it was compliant with the program.  It was nice to enjoy a meal I didn’t have to cook.  The best part was the company.  We always enjoy visiting with them.

For Breakfast this morning I treated us to steak and eggs.  It was kind of fun to eat steak in the morning.  We all liked it so much, I might make it a weekend breakfast tradition.

For lunch, I packed a quick lunch that had deviled eggs, carrots, celery with almond butter and raisins and a plum.

Archived