Day 3 and Im starving!!

I have been absolutely starving all day today. Like within 45 minutes to an hour after a meal I'm hungry again. I know snacking is discouraged but I just couldn't resist today. My body was telling me I needed food. I drink a gallon of water a day so it's not that I'm thirsty. I'll share my meal plan for today which has been fairly similar to the past few days...although today included more food in between meals!!

Breakfast 9 AM: 2 eggs, sweet potato hash (1/2 sweet potato) and sausage.

Snack 10:30 AM: Cantaloupe

Lunch 11:45 AM: Leftovers from dinner which was a chicken, bacon, brussel sprout and apple skillet. Handful of almonds.

Afternoon snack 2 PM: roasted cauliflower

Another afternoon snack 4:30 PM: chicken with guacamole, handful of almonds, and a few medjool dates.

Dinner 6:15 PM: sweet potato chicken poppers, yellow bell pepper strips, cucumber and guacamole. 

And I had some almond butter around 8 because of course I was once again hungry. Any thoughts?? I know I need more fats but I'm not sure where to sneak those in to help make me feel more full. I love avocado but I can't eat 4 a day!

Hi! A couple of thoughts:

- If eating this way is very new to you, it can take your body a while to re-adjust, so be kind to yourself while you tweak things to find the right balance.

- You are correct about snacks being discouraged, but if you are getting hungry between meals then your meals probably need to be a little bigger to get you from one to the next. Each meal should leave you full and satisfied for 4-5 hours. 

- If you do get hungry between meals, or you have a chaotic day where lunch is at noon, and dinner isn't until 8, you will get hungry, and that's okay. Just plan to have a mini meal in between that still fits the template, or has at least 2 of the three groups.

- Make sure you have enough fat at each meal, which you've already pointed out. In particular, it looks like your breakfast doesn't have any. Ways that I add fat: spoonful of a fat-based sauce over veggies (mayo, ghee, tahini, etc.), adding a handful of nuts over my salad, when in doubt drizzling olive oil over my meal. NomNom Paleo has a great recipe section on her blog with lots of different sauces/condiments I would suggest taking a look at.

Hope this is helpful! 

I agree that one issue is fat. You had no fat with your breakfast. I would increase your meal sizes, add healthy fat, drink lots of water, and see how you feel. Also, fruit as a snack is discouraged and if you HAVE TO snack, try to have 2 out of the 3 food groups like protein and fat. The first week does seem to have this affect on people. 

The thing that jumped out at me from your food list is the cantaloupe and dates. Technically compliant, but really sugar-y and sugar can make you hungrier faster. Maybe try cutting out fruit and dates for a couple of days and see if that works better for you? And yep, more fat as the other posters suggested.

Same things everyone else said - it's only day 3, so your body is still adjusting from sugar burning to fat burning. And you've stopped feeding it sugar! So it's going to keep telling you that you need to eat more. Eat more at meals, eat more fat, don't eat higher sugar items (like fruit/dates, as Shalla mentioned) as snacks. And give it a few more days. You're body will switch over and you'll not be as hungry. Also, nuts aren't the best fat (though in a pinch or whatever, they're certainly compliant). Go for mayo, olives, coconut or avocado (and you can eat plenty a day! you shouldn't need 4, but add in a half avocado at every meal if that's your jam). 

Let us know how you feel in a couple days!

• Moderators

A few questions - are you drinking enough water? Are you working out? (If so, you need to add a pre or post workout meal, see the Meal Template for details)

How much of the veggies are you eating? They should fill your plate after your protein, ie 2 - 3 cups of veggies. You can also add a little more protein and/or fat (handful of olives, some homemade mayo, drizzle of olive oil or dollop of ghee or coconut oil) to your meals. I always enjoy broccoli with some mayo and Frank's hot sauce. (Buy a bunch of bags of frozen florets - no washing or chopping required and you can microwave it if you like).

Sometimes a nice cup of tea will help hold you over, too.

You can do this!

Archived