About to start and need help planning my mornings

My head is spinning because I’m preparing to start my first Whole 30 in two days! I’m mostly excited but really stressed about how to navigate breakfast and my mornings on my work days. I’ve always been a committed coffee and toast for breakfast person and have never been able to stomach anything more or heavier in the morning, especially the early morning.  I’ll start by describing what my mornings have always looked like until now and then get into my questions if that’s ok. 

Monday to Friday I’m up at 5:30 and at the gym by 6:00, having eaten half a Cliff bar on the drive there. I do a moderately challenging 45 minutes of either a Spin or strength training class.  I rush home and get showered and ready for work. At 8:00 I quickly have my coffee and toast before heading out the door at 8:10. I start working at 8:30 and can’t stop (or eat at my desk) until my 15 minute coffee break at 11:00. At this time I’ve always eaten Greek yogurt and berries. My lunch is at 1:30, when I generally eat veggies and meat.

So besides the obvious question of how am I going to get myself eating eggs, meat and veggies before noon (as an aside, I’ve actually been doing a ‘soft start’ this week and so tried to make myself eat a boiled egg before the gym the other morning and I almost threw up!) I’m freaked out about a couple of things:

1. Since I’m not doing a super intense work out, do I have to eat pre and post work out mini meals (ugh! More unbearable morning foods?!) I do feel like I need a little something before the gym since I haven’t eaten since dinner but REALLY don’t feel like eating right after the gym.

2. Breakfast (first real meal) has to be between 7:15 and 8:00 before I leave the house so since I’m not supposed to eat a snack between breakfast and lunch, it’s a really long time until 1:30, even if I can somehow eat lots of fat and protein (ugh again) for breakfast at 8:00. I would be way more comfortable with eating a mini meal at 11 and then a big lunch. After that I know I’ll be fine until dinner at 5:30 or 6:00

I know we can make ourselves do (eat?) almost anything for 30 days if it’s important enough to us, so yes, I know I can probably do anything you suggest for that long - but the fact is that my real hope is that this will lead me to life long changes but at this point I’m so freaked out about navigating my mornings that I’m honestly scared that I will at best endure them for 30 days and then go back to my toast as fast as I can! I sure would appreciate some help with this. Thanks!

I'm new to this too, and not a huge fan of eggs. But I've been eating my eggs + veggies, OR I did eat apples like crazy (not having fully read the meal planning guide - I confess. I guess my newbie advice would be to 1) Relax 2) KISS - Keep it simple sister 3) It will all work out. Maybe over the weekend think of the things that are palatable for you prepare portions - see if you can stomach PWO meals. I used to make these egg cups in muffin cups with veggies and breakfast meat that you can make in advance and have several for the week. I'm going to do that again this weekend.

I didn't apply the PWO meals for the first two days and realized that I was starting to feel fatigued. So I've just tried to keep it simple - lemon pepper chicken breast (compliant) lunch meat - couple of slices and a few pistachios. Post - not as easy but kind of the same thing with some butternut squash.

And maybe (if your schedule permits) work out in the afternoon. Not trying to be Captain Obvious... but that would be my two cents.

At the end of the day - just do your best. Hopefully you'll get some great food suggestions.

Breakfast doesn't have to be breakfast foods, if eggs don't work for you maybe try baked chicken and veggies with some olive oil, or tuna w/paleo mayo on cucumber and carrot slices, or something along those lines. Something that feels a little lighter to me than stuff like eggs and sausage anyway.

I agree with Shalla. Nothing says you have to eat eggs for breakfast. I'm not a big fan of them myself. For Meal 1, this week, I've been eating a root veggie hash with chicken apple sausages and guacamole & hot sauce. I've eaten taco salads, spaghetti squash casseroles, or soup & protein. If you're not a breakfast eater, it can take some getting used to. Most experienced folks around here recommend eating what you can (a few bites, even), then when you start to feel like you can eat some more, do so. Good luck!

Rx bars and the like are for emergencies only.

what foods do you personally consider “lighter”? Eat some of those. Maybe some pre made salmon cakes? Soup? And not being hungry in the morning can be a sign of whacked out hormones, so you might need to power through on some of it. If you need a mini-meal at your mid morning break, eat one! Just make sure it contains fat, protein, and veggies. (Like, just apples and almond butter is not ideal.)

if you’re workouts aren’t super intense, then no you don’t necessarily need a post workout meal.

If I do have the mid morning snack there won’t be the minimum 3 hours between it and lunch, but if that’s ok that would make my day work. I have a question in regards to your ‘just not apples and almond butter’, though. I believe we’re meant to always have protein fat and a carb (pref a veg), but I read in one post from an advanced member ‘have at least two of the three’ so I’m confused.

Ideally any meal has all three of protein, fat, veggie. Sometimes it doesn’t work out. Maybe a mini-meal has a meatball&sauce = protein and fat (2). Maybe it’s meatball & carrots = protein and veggie (2). Since fruit is not recommended as not being part of a complete meal, it has no place in these scenarios. Apple&almond butter= sugar hit keeping cravings going. Also, in general, nuts are recommended as a closed handful every other day at most, as a fat source they can be hard on the digestive system and don’t have great omega ratios. Look at the template and scale down for a mini-meal.  But do try to eat something in the morning, it’ll help sort hormones out.

Archived