Just getting back into exercise and starting Whole30

Hey guys!  I'm about to start my first ever whole 30 on Tuesday! I'm super excited and anxious! I've never done anything like this before so I'm very hopeful!

Ok so, I haven't been exercising lately and I've never done it routinely. I want to start finally though! I'm worried  that I might like...overdue it and freak my body out by doing both of these huge changes at once! I was thinking for the first 10 days that maybe I would just go really light on the exercise? What do you guys think? 

Also if my exercise is planned on being light should my pre-workout food be fairly small? And if I do it first thing in the am, would it be ok for my post workout to just be my breakfast too? Or should I do a post workout meal and then do breakfast like..30 min..or an HR later? I won't always have enough time in the am to do this I think....idk..I'm probably just over thinking this whole thing.

But if anyone has any advice or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

• Moderators
1 minute ago, SillyLittleLightBulbs said:

Hey guys!  I'm about to start my first ever whole 30 on Tuesday! I'm super excited and anxious! I've never done anything like this before so I'm very hopeful!

Ok so, I haven't been exercising lately and I've never done it routinely. I want to start finally though! I'm worried  that I might like...overdue it and freak my body out by doing both of these huge changes at once! I was thinking for the first 10 days that maybe I would just go really light on the exercise? What do you guys think? 

Also if my exercise is planned on being light should my pre-workout food be fairly small? And if I do it first thing in the am, would it be ok for my post workout to just be my breakfast too? Or should I do a post workout meal and then do breakfast like..30 min..or an HR later? I won't always have enough time in the am to do this I think....idk..I'm probably just over thinking this whole thing.

But if anyone has any advice or suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

I don't think its unusal to be a bit over-thinky when you're trying new things.  You're right on about doing light exercise for the first couple weeks... even athletes and people who are used to exersising a lot can experience fatigue as their body goes from sugar burning to fat burning... Whole30 is also a huge undertaking (not that it's not doable, it definitely is and it doesn't have to be complicated, but it's nothing to sneeze at either) so you want to be fair to your body and your mind while you're getting started.  You may find that once your energy kicks in, you want to go for a walk after dinner or you're waking up earlier so you can do some light cardio or weights/yoga etc... that would be awesome.  Don't beat yourself up about it if you don't tho too.

As far as meals, I think since you are not used to working out, you should be doing the post workout for sure.  It's not ideal to sub your breakfast as your post workout - you're better off doing the lean protein and starchy carb (just a couple bites of each) right after your workout and then having breakfast but as you're not an elite athlete attempting to improve your personal best to enter the Olympics, if breakfast has to be your post workout, no big deal.

As for pre-workout, many people do am workouts fasted, however depending on your hormones and your previous breakfast eating within an hour of waking, if breakfast is going to be more than an hour from your waking time, then I would do the preworkout... hardboiled egg and a blop of mayo... something like that.  You can definitely test and see how you feel eating and not eating but we highly recommend for the majority of the people that they do meal 1 within an hour of waking so try and work that in there somehow :)

On 1/12/2018 at 4:54 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

I don't think its unusal to be a bit over-thinky when you're trying new things.  You're right on about doing light exercise for the first couple weeks... even athletes and people who are used to exersising a lot can experience fatigue as their body goes from sugar burning to fat burning... Whole30 is also a huge undertaking (not that it's not doable, it definitely is and it doesn't have to be complicated, but it's nothing to sneeze at either) so you want to be fair to your body and your mind while you're getting started.  You may find that once your energy kicks in, you want to go for a walk after dinner or you're waking up earlier so you can do some light cardio or weights/yoga etc... that would be awesome.  Don't beat yourself up about it if you don't tho too.

As far as meals, I think since you are not used to working out, you should be doing the post workout for sure.  It's not ideal to sub your breakfast as your post workout - you're better off doing the lean protein and starchy carb (just a couple bites of each) right after your workout and then having breakfast but as you're not an elite athlete attempting to improve your personal best to enter the Olympics, if breakfast has to be your post workout, no big deal.

As for pre-workout, many people do am workouts fasted, however depending on your hormones and your previous breakfast eating within an hour of waking, if breakfast is going to be more than an hour from your waking time, then I would do the preworkout... hardboiled egg and a blop of mayo... something like that.  You can definitely test and see how you feel eating and not eating but we highly recommend for the majority of the people that they do meal 1 within an hour of waking so try and work that in there somehow :)

Thanks for your advice! I appreciate it, I'll see how I feel for the first couple weeks!!

Archived