Tasting food

Tucker

I have purchased the Whole30 Day by Day book.  I am on day 10 I am not feeling the same level of accomplishment as I did the first time a year ago.   This time is easier, I am more focused on the results of the foods I am eating rather than just being worried if foods are compliant or not and what to cook and so forth.  I really appreciate this book as it helps me to reflect each day and track my meals and the changes in how I am feeling.  However, I find myself not being able to move beyond "I ate three solid meals today that held me over until the next meal" in the daily section "What went well today?"  I am not feeling the energy or big impacts yet.  I am not sure what to even write. 

I am on Day 14 of my second Whole30.  I noticed two things today: 1.) For the first time, I can taste the coconut in the coconut oil I used in both the hollandaise sauce this morning and the eggs at lunch today.  I don't like coconut, so this is a problem.  I will have to begin using something else.  I know tatest buds change on the Whole30, but is this usual?  I din't taste it yesterday.  2.) I have ALWAYS had sinus issues, to the point where I can rarely breath out my nose.  Today I can.  Waiting to see if this is coincidence as I am also using a diffuser in the kitchen.  Thoughts?

Not sure about number 1 - maybe your sinus issues were creating taste issues. But about #2, this was one of my favorite NSVs that I wasn't expecting - MY SINUS CONGESTION/ALLERGIES just disappeared! I used to run through a box of tissues a week - my sinuses would clog up every night (if they weren't already clogged) and I'd have a ton of mucus every morning. And then I did a W30 and it just... went away. Now I can tell if I ate something that flared me up because I get congested. It's my favorite thing to recommend to people with allergies. 

• Moderators
Just now, Tucker said:

What causes sinus issues may be different for different people, but I am wondering if you were able to pinpoint the foods that tended to cause flare ups.

That's what the reintroduction phase is for... you'll see when you eat the thing or things that bother you that you WERE breathing great and then you ate the thing or things over the reintroduction days and then you weren't.  Dairy does it for a lot of people.

18 hours ago, Tucker said:

What causes sinus issues may be different for different people, but I am wondering if you were able to pinpoint the foods that tended to cause flare ups.

As Sugarcube said - it's different for different people and reintros are where you really discover where the culprits are. Dairy can do it - but I have generally avoided all dairy (minus butter) since R1 last year - for me sugar really has an impact. 

Archived