Reactions w/reintroduction

Angie628

I’m in the middle of my second Whole30. My first was before the holidays. I was pleasantly surprised that my itchy, scaley scalp completely cleared up by the end of that first Whole30. Unfortunately, I failed reintroduction and ate an enormous amount of pizza on day four of reintroduction (it was delicious). I don’t recall any specific reactions to it, and I was totally expecting to feel horrible, but never did. Over the holidays I ate a lot of everything not allowed during a Whole30. The itchy, scaley skin came back with a vengeance. I’m now on day 17 of my second Whole30 and thinking about reintroduction. Is 3 days really enough time to evaluate what food is causing my skin to itch? And it’s taken almost 3 weeks of pure Whole30 eating for my skin to improve. I’m worried I won’t notice a reaction until I’ve moved on to reintroduce another food and that if I do get a reaction it won’t go away quickly so I can reintroduce a new food. Any thoughts or experience with this?

I had some itching issues during my W30 that I was able to identify by eliminating suspect (W30 compliant) sources and the symptoms took several days to subside.

I've been doing a slow roll re-intro over the past 8+ weeks because I feel that a single day of re-intro eating followed by two days of observation isn't enough time for (my) system to exhibit symptoms to problem foods.  For me, it has taken several days to a week or more of accumulation before definitive reactions are realized.

I feel there is a fault in the W30 re-intro template, as just one day of eating would yield noticeable symptoms to only those with significant sensitivities to a certain food, before moving on to the next.  That short of a span could cause some to miss the opportunity to identify the potential issue that they are doing the program for in the first place.

Take your time with reintroduction. Don't let the program think you can do it quicker than you need to.

On 1/18/2018 at 1:52 PM, Angie628 said:

T2Andrew, thank you for the encouragement to take reintroduction at a slower pace. I appreciate your insight and experience. 

My aunt has psoriasis and manages it through a careful diet. I can't think of everything offhand but I know she can't eat nightshades and shellfish. There are a lot of other things she shouldn't eat and when she cuts them out of her diet, her psoriasis is minimal and manageable. When she "falls off the wagon," it comes back. I don't know if this is helpful or not but I'm sure you can google the specific foods (or talk to a doctor).

I have been doing the fast track reintro plan and it seems like everything I eat non whole 30 except for oats has caused me great stomach pain, bloating and gas.  Is this normal?  Am I really sensitive to all legumes and other gluten free grains other than oats?  I am supposed to do dairy tomorrow which I am only reintroducing plan greek yogurt but I am afraid of still feeling bad.  Should I just go back to whole30 strict meals until my digestion is back to feeling good? 

Archived