Deload month?

Abba2M

I'm planning to start my Whole30 next week.  Right now I strength train 2x a week, run 3x (~ 9mi/wk) and do Ashtanga yoga 1 night.  I'm worried about exercise impacting my hunger levels during what I already know will be a tough month but also my energy levels. However, I don't want to gain 10 lbs either.... 

I'm thinking I might drop the lifting and running and just do mobility and balance activities and daily walking so I can really focus on the food.  Has anybody else deloaded or taken a complete break for the entire 30 days and what was your experience?

I've done the opposite of what you'er asking -- continued with my regular strength and cardio activities during a Whole30.  If you're used to fueling with shakes and gels you might notice a drop in performance, but Whole30 never wants you to be hungry.  The template is a guide but it's not set in stone.  You are meant to add pre- and post-workout meals when the workouts are straining.

If you are already used to this current training regimen, why are you concerned that Whole30 will cause you to be hungrier and then eat more and then gain weight?

I really, really struggle with my energy levels. In the past year I've started relying more and more on coffee and sugary snacks in the afternoon. My thinking is reducing my exercise (particularly running, which seems to impact my energy and cravings more) would help me stay on track easier. 

I'm no expert (newbie on day 30(!) of my first w30) but I also do strength training and run and I was able to maintain my mileage and workout schedule, and did not have to eat much more than the template meals. I did small pre and/or post WO meals if I needed it, and often I did. I think you could just see how you feel, maybe you will have more energy than you think.  I did have some slow/weak runs in weeks 1 and 2 but have come back to my usual tempo and have found that I can now run for longer without feeling hungry. I did 5.5 miles Sunday with no fuel during, and felt great, I could have gone longer but my ankle was bugging me. I used to have to eat a couple of sports beans, or cliff shot blocks or similar to get me to 5 miles, so I was really excited about that I think once you convert to fat-burning, maybe your energy will be better? I also found that after the first week, I did not get hungry between meals, which is awesome! You can always add or drop a workout if you aren't 'feeling it'. In any case, I wish you luck! 

Listen to your body. You may find that you will have no choice but to reduce your work outs or take a few extra days off to rest.  Everyone will react differently, but it is common to feel a bit extra tired or sore early in the Whole30.  But once that passes,your energy levels should rebound, and if so, maybe consider taking advantage of that to kick the workouts up again.    

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:33 PM, kirkor said:

How's your sleep?

It could be better....

I already know having a glass or two of wine gives me terrible sleep, so it will be good for me to abstain for a month.  Other than that I get about 7 hours during the week and closer to 9 on the weekends if I let myself sleep in. I'm going to make myself give up my afternoon coffee as part of my whole 30 since that habit is so closely tied to my PM sugar crash.

• 2 weeks later...

On the sleep tip, the fact that you're sleeping in on weekends when you can probably means you need more during the week too. You may need closer to 9 hours those nights- I know that's hard to make happen but you might want to try getting at least an extra hour during the week and see if that helps with your PM energy crash. 

Curious if you kept working out or if not, have you restarted? Any tiger blood yet? :)

I kept working out and always had decent energy but I'm not sure I ever really got tiger blood, and I have not seen anything drastically different/better in my athletic performance...maybe my diet was already pretty good? Idk.

Archived