Ghee not browned

Chelsea Cooper

Hi. Just made my first batch of ghee, I let the butter melt and the solids come to the top, I skimmed off the foam and poured the butter through a cheese cloth but I didn’t have a bunch of solids. It was mainly a more solid foam and it wasn’t really brown. I didn’t know if I needed to put it back on the stove and reheat it to get some more solids out? I may have had the heat up too high and not let it simmer long enough, although I had it on the stove for a while.  Thank you!

• Administrators
On 13/02/2018 at 2:32 PM, Chelsea Cooper said:

Hi. Just made my first batch of ghee, I let the butter melt and the solids come to the top, I skimmed off the foam and poured the butter through a cheese cloth but I didn’t have a bunch of solids. It was mainly a more solid foam and it wasn’t really brown. I didn’t know if I needed to put it back on the stove and reheat it to get some more solids out? I may have had the heat up too high and not let it simmer long enough, although I had it on the stove for a while.  Thank you!

I think you might not have had it long enough on the low heat. The solids are meant to sink to the bottom, not float to the top.  When they are on the bottom is when some people allow them to brown a bit and that gives the ghee a nuttier flavour.

Archived