concerns over my breakfast and lunch schedule, thoughts?

JGKos

Hello all!

Just finished Day 1 yesterday with my wife!  Very excited, and actually slept great last night (I'm a horrible sleeper).  I am logging my daily food intake, and while reviewing my Day 1 this morning, I am having concerns I am not getting enough proteins/fats in my breakfast and lunch.  Reading through the forums here, and peeps daily logs, I look to be way under eating at these meals??  

I am however, NOT hungry, and feel filled after both meals. 

I also have breakfast and lunch served at work, so I am focusing on eating this food (free) as much as possible.

Thoughts on this, and if I need corrections?

4:45am - wake up

(lacroix for drive into office, removed my normal coffee)

6:30am - Breakfast

-water

-banana

-2 hardboiled eggs (salt/pepp)

-cantaloupe/blueberries/strawberries/pineapple

8-9:00am - gym

9:30am (after gym)

-2 hardboiled eggs

-1 orange

-lacroix

11:00am - Lunch

-salad (lettuce, kale, carrots, 1cup grilled chicken, grn/rd/yel peppers, cucumbers)

-whole30 ranch dressing

12:30pm

-banana, black coffee

3:00pm

-apple, kind bar, lacroix

6:00pm - Dinner

Whole30 Meatball recipe, spaghetti squash noodle, strawberries, lacroix

Much thanks!

JK

Hey there & welcome to the forums...

It looks to me like you're short on protein, short on veg, short on fat, and eating a lorra lorra fruit... The recommendation is for a maximum of two fist servings of fruit per day. Many people choose not to eat fruit at all as it tends to not help with cravings, and it certainly doesn't help with fat adaptation either.

Protein wise, when eggs are the only source in your meal you want to be aiming for as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand. Three is generally a good starting point. I'm a  5'2" female and I can hold 4 or even 5 when particularly hungry!

I'd hazard a guess that the reason you are not hungry is because you are topping up on the natural sugars contained in the fruit & bars you're eating between meals & throughout the day. And don't take this the wrong way but many people mis-read their bodies signals, especially in the early days - the fact you're not hungry could well be due to a hormonal imbalance which will only be perpetuated by not eating the proteins & fats that you need.

You're also eating breakfast almost two hours after wakening. We'd recommend you eat within an hour to help kick start the metabolism & allow cortisol levels to drop which in turn will help balance out the other hormones. Is there anyway you can eat before leaving the house?

PostWO you want to aim for a lean protein and an optional starchy carb depending on the intensity of your WO. Fats will slow down absorption of nutrients & prevent muscle protein synthesis so stick with the egg white but not the yolk, and ditch the orange which will preferentially replace liver glycogen when you want to be replacing muscle glycogen if necessary.

Basically I think if the volume of your ACTUAL meals is bigger & closer to template, and your postWO is adequate, you'll not find the need for all that fruit which really is doing you no favours.

Hope this helps :)

Hey everyone, and thanks so much for the assist.  To answer your questions

The recommendation is for a maximum of two fist servings of fruit per day.  I'm at about 4 fists, I'll cut that down, and sub in more veggies.

Protein wise, when eggs are the only source in your meal you want to be aiming for as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand. Three is generally a good starting point. I'm a  5'2" female and I can hold 4 or even 5 when particularly hungry!  ok, I'll up my egg holding game to 4-5 for my morning meal :)

You're also eating breakfast almost two hours after wakening. We'd recommend you eat within an hour to help kick start the metabolism & allow cortisol levels to drop which in turn will help balance out the other hormones. Is there anyway you can eat before leaving the house? I have a 1-1.5hr drive in the mornings, so this is out.  I'll start eating in the morning before i leave.

PostWO you want to aim for a lean protein and an optional starchy carb depending on the intensity of your WO. Fats will slow down absorption of nutrients & prevent muscle protein synthesis so stick with the egg white but not the yolk, and ditch the orange which will preferentially replace liver glycogen when you want to be replacing muscle glycogen if necessary. - understood, egg whites only postWO.

Kind bars - I looked into the Pressed by Kind bars, which the ingredients are Apple, strawberry, cherry, chia seedshttps://www.kindsnacks.com/products/pressed-by-kind/strawberry-apple-chia-bar

I'll drop my fruit intake to 2 fists per day

I've upped my grilled chicken amount for my lunch salad to 2 fists, and added more kale, carrots, cucumbers and peppers.

I'll also up my veggie game at dinner.

Thanks again

JK

50 minutes ago, JGKos said:

Kind bars - I looked into the Pressed by Kind bars, which the ingredients are Apple, strawberry, cherry, chia seedshttps://www.kindsnacks.com/products/pressed-by-kind/strawberry-apple-chia-bar

Good work on the planned & actioned tweaks...

Just as an aside, even though these are compliant they are adding to your fruit intake and are about as close to candy as you'll get on a Whole30. Any type of bar like this should be treated as an emergency food, but in my mind if you can plan for an emergency you can plan to have real food - and protein & fat are always going to be your best option. Maybe boil a few extra eggs? Or have some jerky to hand for is you need something in between meals? Just a thought....

Let us know how you get on!

Kind bars = emergency, check

I have Rx bars (whole30 approved)  and I'll add jerky to this as well. 

Understood on the planning for an emergency=enough time to plan on real food.  But, since I can be stuck at work late (without prior notice), this might be a perfect case for these.

Thanks again for all the assistance @jmcbn

JK

Archived