Reintroduction and Heartburn

phil48

Hi!  I finished my first Whole30 about 8 days ago.  While it was a lot of work, I had great results with NSV.  Felt great. Lots of energy.  Slept well.  Lost some weight.

I have been doing a very slow reintroduction because I really wanted to identify what foods cause trouble.  I had been having some digestive issues in my 40's, tired more than normal, some random heartburn (that I've had on and off the last 10+ years).  I'm already pretty sure I'm lactose intolerant and gave up cows milk a few years ago. So not sure I will add any dairy back any time soon. 

So Day 31, I had whole grain rice. No issues. And Day 32, because it was Valentine's Day we made this fun dessert of strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, with a ground cashew, date and coconut mixture sprinkled on top and then topped with whipped coconut cream.  (It was Valentine's after all and our first dessert in over a month -- technically all compliant ingredients!" -- it was AMAZING!"

The next day I had some heartburn. I chalked it up to the whipped coconut cream and fruit. And didn't think much of it.  I had rice again the next few days with no problems.

Fast forward to this past weekend and I had to go out of town.  That Friday I had corn chips (they weren't as good as I remembered).  And then I also had some deli turkey meat on Saturday from Publix. I also had a few more cashews and almonds than normal (b/c it was hard to travel with vegetables).

Since then I have not added anything else.  Been doing straight Whole30 (other than I've had a few salad dressings that might not be complaint while I was traveling).

So just rice, corn chips (like Tostito brand) and deli turkey meat.  And I have had THE WORST HEART BURN all day today today!  I had to fast this morning due to a physical... so again I had some cashews and almonds right afterwards.

I've been reading about FODMAPs. Never even heard that term before Whole30.  I didn't eat a ton of nuts while on Whole30.  But now that it was over and I wasn't trying to lose any more weight I though they would be okay. I don't remember having ANY heartburn during my 30 days. 

The heartburn is really frustrating b/c I'm still following Whole30.  It's been constant all day (even dug out some old Prilosec from my bathroom tonight). Just feels like everything is burning from my mouth to my stomach. 

Meals Yesterday:

B: 3 eggs, Aidelle'e chicken and apple sausage, coffee with NutPods

L: salad with grilled chicken 

D: Pork Carnitas in Crock Pot with salad, tomato salsa, corn chips

Meals Today:

B: Had to skip b/c fasting for physical blood work

Snack after appointment: cashews, almonds, deli turkey 

L: Lemon pepper chicken with red potatoes and salad

D: Burgers (from Whole30 recipe) sweet potato fries, guacamole, lettuce tomato 

Just curious if anyone has any insight.... just seems crazy to be having such terrible heartburn from corn??? could it be the almonds and cashews??  Or the Deli Turkey meat? 

The bummer is I'm traveling again this weekend. I'm going to be trying to stick to Whole30 but it will be tough in the sugar area (like for bacon, sausage, salad dressings) b/c I'm flying so I really can't bring a lot of food with me.  But I really want this heartburn to go away. 

Thanks for any insight! 

3 hours ago, phil48 said:

Just curious if anyone has any insight.... just seems crazy to be having such terrible heartburn from corn??? could it be the almonds and cashews??  Or the Deli Turkey meat? 

Could be any of the above.

Corn COMPLETELY floors me. Like I have to lie on the sofa until the wave of nausea passes, and then I feel out of sorts for a day or two after. It's never worth it. Nuts in abundance definitely cause me heartburn, and I had MONTHS of low FODMAP eating so I'm very cautious about portion control when it comes to any medium or high FODMAP foods. Deli meat could have all sorts of added ingredients from sugar to gluten to soy, and I'd hazard a guess at the latter.... again highly inflammatory/allergenic....

Nuts are easy - you just limit them by using them as a garnish rather than as a food.

Re the corn & potential soy I'd say it'd be worth testing both again.

Hope this helps - and good luck!

FWIW, I had slight heartburn for my non-gluten grain reintro (and like you, I only reintro’d rice and corn). I don’t normally have digestion issues, although I get acid reflux/GERD maaaaaybe once every six months. Corn/rice def gave me heartburn that I’d never noticed before. I actually chalked it up to my diet leaning slightly acidic after being fairly “alkaline” during Whole 30 for me. I know these aren’t terms/concepts usually associated with W30, but the concept made some sense to me after researching it and having what I could only describe as an “acidic” stomach during that reintro. I’ve been back mostly to W30 after that and the acid tummy has gone away.

Just my two cents, for what it’s worth- you’re not the only one with the exact same symptom with the exact same foods!

Archived