High Cholesterol - your thoughts on mine?

Hi All: I am on week 3 of Whole30.  I have eating a lot more meat than I normally do.  I do eat meat with about every meal and eggs every morning.  Well last week I had my cholesterol checked and it was 269! That is the highest it has ever been and I am very worried.  I am not overweight and do exercise 3-5 times a week. These were my results:

Total   269
Triglycerides 55
HDL  118
VDL  11
LDL  140

When I calculate the ratio it is 2.27 (if I am doing it correctly).  I know there is a lot of controversy on cholesterol these days but I definitely do think I need to lower mine.  What are you thoughts on these results and what do you recommend to lower it.   Thank you for your time.  Sarah

• Moderators

Unfortunately we don't dispense medical advice on this forum so we would be outside the purview of this forum to interpret your cholesterol panel.  Your best bet here would be to speak to your doctor.  Keep a food log of what you've been eating and ideally a functional medicine doctor or a doctor that has done research outside of the 'food pyramid' would be your best bet.

One thing I will say is that dietary cholesterol does not increase blood cholesterol.  You might like to read It Starts with Food or another one that's really good is LIz Wolfe's Eat the Yolks.

Archived